Computer Related > Laptop - noisy fan Computing Issues
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 2

Laptop - noisy fan - Falkirk Bairn
SWMBO has been going on about the laptop fan - she complained time and again. It never really bothered me.

I thought it might be dust, laptop is 3 years old and so far been perfect.

I am not averse to taking covers off a desktop and poking around but a laptop always conjures up a"jack in the Box" scenario and then find you cannot get the lot back together again.

3 days ago I spilled stuff near the laptop. Hoovering it up I thought about the fan and hoovered the vent on the LHS.

SILENCE - I have either cleared the dust or knackered the fan!
 Laptop - noisy fan - smokie
I had similar - SWMBOs laptop was shutting down. I suspected the fan was faulty allowing overheating so I disassembled to identify the fan (laptop is a Median so not really easy to find parts for).

Gave it a blow around and it's been fine ever since.

I did find a replacement for pennies so I ordered it and am keeping it in reserve.

I've now taken apart and re-assembled quite a few laptops now but I'm with you in terms of the"risk" - I often have a couple of screws left over!!

Most annoying one was daughters recently, which had lost a load of keycaps so she got a new keyboard. Pretty easy to re-fit - it didn't require much dismantling. Keyboard is attached by a ribbon cable. On testing the new keyboard, all the bottom row were shifted one to the right. So I took out eh ribbon cable again and slotted it back in. Still no joy so I put the old one back in and managed to bust the clip which holds the ribbon cable on the motherboard. I don't think I can repair that cheaply!!

Actually now I think of it that's a whole saga - she was using that one because she dropped her better one and it broke the casing around the power input, and the power input worked no more. So I got a new one for about £3 but was not able to cope with the fiddly soldering required - but a mate did it and it worked fine. However because the socket was floating loose, even though she never unplugged it, the cable went again. I have nwe replacement bits somewhere so need to buy matey a beer or two to re-do it, then I guess use some Araldite or something to glue the socket so it doesn't wiggle.

And now I think of it even more - much of my laptop opening activity has been on daughter's machines over the years. She really should be more careful!!!
 Laptop - noisy fan - devonite
you can often buy lappy case parts on Ebay, might be easier to replace the base cover than mucking about with gunge!
Latest Forum Posts