Computer Related > Printer incompatibility Computing Issues
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 14

Printer incompatibility - CGNorwich
Upgraded my OS today from Snow Leopard to Yosemite which went without a hitch. At least I thought it did until I did a search for a new driver for my 5 year old Canon Pixma and found that Canon don't support Yosemite for my model.

A new printer is therefore on the cards. Now the thing that I like about the old printer was that I could buy cheap compatible cartridges at literally one tenth of the price of the real things.

Now I don' t mind buying a new printer, I would quite like a wireless one, but I want one for which I can buy compatibles and as far a I can see you can't for the new Pixmas.

Any recommendations?

Printer incompatibility - rtj70
Which model Pixma printer do you have? Interesting to know there's no driver. I've not upgraded to Yosemite (yet) but have a Pixma iP5000 which is more than 5 years old.
Maybe try an older driver from pre-Mavericks days? So for an iP5000 I'd try:

www.usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0100384301EN.htm
You will be in the same position as me if you upgrade. The iP5000 will not work with Yosemite.

Here is Canon's listing showing compatibility of its printers.

www.canon.co.uk/Images/Win_PIXMA_Full_v3_tcm14-1080776.pdf
I posted the wrong listing -here is the Mac one

www.canon.co.uk/Images/Mac_PIXMA_Full_v3_tcm14-1109981.pdf
No I won't be in the same position and you don't need to buy a new printer either.

I had Yosemite installed a virtual machine to try it out. And if I'm honest I probably won't upgrade yet because I'm not sure I like the new look/feel. But I thought I'd test out connecting the VM to my printer and it works fine.

I grabbed the printer driver and installed it before I plugged in the printer. With hindsight I should have seen what happened without installing it. I got it from the Canon UK website. It ays it is for OSX 10.6 and 10.5 but it works on Yosemite. It needed some additional Xcode downloading and I let it do that.

So I'd find your printer drive on Canon's site and give it a go. It might save you a few £s.
 Printer incompatibility - Zero
Another good reason why I am sticking with Mavericks, and not moving to Yosimite. I have a pixma mp499 wireless and it works well with my release, but if i wanted to move there is a Yosemite driver for it and it is the same one 10.7 through 10.10

I can use compatible carts in mine, but you don't get an ink level indication. Which matters not I always run mine till they actually start to print white!

I'm not entirely clear what you are saying hear. Since pre the install of Yosemite I was running Snow Leopard 10.6 would I not have the appropriate Canon driver for 10.6 already installed (the latest availabe) ?

Have no idea what Xcode is

All I am saying is the 10.6 driver will likely work for you, as it did for me. I did a clean install on the VM so cannot comment on what Yosemite did with the older drive.

You might argue it's in the interest of Canon for your printer to not work as you might buy another, new Canon printer.

What's the harm in giving it a go?

The Xcode components were downloaded automatically but you had to agree to this. Without this the driver would not in all likelihood work. Which might be why the existing driver got removed. The Xcode components won't be installed automatically. It won't have installed all of Xcode.
 Printer incompatibility - Old Navy
>> Now I don' t mind buying a new printer, I would quite like a wireless
>> one, but I want one for which I can buy compatibles and as far a
>> I can see you can't for the new Pixmas.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

www.inkredible.co.uk
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 13 Mar 15 at 20:32
 Printer incompatibility - Old Navy
Missed the edit.

We use a lot of Canon compatible ink cartridges from inkredible. Only had one fail to work, it was replaced without question.
Apart from CGN not believing me, he doesn't need to buy a new printer. His current Pixma will work.
Not a case of not believing you rtj70 more a case of not understanding. Anyway after a couple of weeks away in th sun have finally got round to trying out your suggestion. Also found a handy video on you tube explaining exactly what needed to be done.

Pleased to say all now done and the printer is up an running fine. I uploaded the drivers for "lion" which wee the latest available.

Thanks very much for the help.

Am quite impressed with Yosemite no problems so far and iPhoto and itunes sees to be working a lot quicker than they used to under snow leopard. Quite like the new look too.

It does make one wonder who decided to remove a working printer driver. As we both now know, the older driver works on Yosemite. So is this Apple removing it (but it's a Canon driver) or Canon taking the opportunity to sell new printers?

When I got the iMac, my scanner did not work and I had to get a new one. I couldn't find a driver that would have worked for me. A hidden cost of upgrading to a Mac.

Glad your printer is now working. Mine does CD/DVD printing but that needs extra software downloading. From my Mac (Mavericks still on them) it no longer works so I just plug it into the Windows PC.

Hope you had a nice holiday by the way :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 24 Mar 15 at 18:37
 Printer incompatibility - sherlock47
> or Canon taking the opportunity to sell new printers?<

It is a well trodden path for Canon with scanners. I have a collection of perfectly functional XP compatible scanners that just cannot be upgraded to work under 64 W7.

There is no technical issue as it is possible to buy commercial software that runs them ok in trial mode. But it is watermarked and timelimited.
Latest Forum Posts