Computer Related > Chromecast. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 16

Chromecast. - R.P.
Thinking of getting one of these...any user experiences. I'd run it from my MacBook.
 Chromecast. - Fenlander
Utterly brilliant cheap compact out of sight device that adds really useful functionality to a TV... if it works with your setup.

We've just returned ours to Tesco after trying for 10 days to get it to operate in a stable fashion with our BT Home Hub. Sadly despite taking advice from all sources inc Google & BT none of the advised setting "tweeks" worked.

The problem we experienced was that once setup it functioned perfectly while in use but as soon as you stopped streaming to the TV at some period from 15mins onwards it would lose the Hub connection and both router hub plus the Chromecast needed re-booting and connecting back to each other before it would work again. Far too much faff so we just bought a smart TV with the abilities we wanted* from the Chromecast built in.

*We mainly wanted Netflix, Youtube and screen mirroring from tablet/smartphone.
 Chromecast. - rtj70
It won't stream from Sky Go website. I know you didn't ask about that but it might be of some use for someone.

I'm sure someone could produce a workaround. You cannot stream it via a Chrome browser window because Sky no longer support Chrome as a browser.

I've had one for a while but not used it much. It was cheap to try out.
 Chromecast. - Zero
>> Utterly brilliant cheap compact out of sight device that adds really useful functionality to a
>> TV... if it works with your setup.
>>
>> We've just returned ours to Tesco after trying for 10 days to get it to
>> operate in a stable fashion with our BT Home Hub. Sadly despite taking advice from
>> all sources inc Google & BT none of the advised setting "tweeks" worked.

Works fine with my BT HomeHub 4. Sometimes after you have streamed something and haven't pressed the "stop casting" link it will lock up on another "cast" Rebooting the dongle by (in my case by turning off the tv) fixes it.
 Chromecast. - Zero
>> Thinking of getting one of these...any user experiences. I'd run it from my MacBook.

Fantastic bit of kit, run it from my macbook. You'll need to install the chrome browser if you haven't already.

You can cast nearly any video file you have downloaded on your machine, cast any chrome screen as well as iplayer etc.

Use it on my hudl as well and the wife uses it with her Nexus.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 Feb 15 at 16:02
 Chromecast. - Stuartli
I have the £10 Sky NowTV and the Entertainment Pass (was £4.99 non-contract monthly, now £6.99, but still amazing value).

You get 13 live Sky Channels including Sky One, Sky Atlantic (itself worth the £6.99) and Gold, plus all the Catch Up services and the option to buy Sky Sports and Sky Movies passes.

See:

www.nowtv.com
 Chromecast. - R.P.
Arrived today in a beautifully "engineered" little box....can't bring myself to recycle it. Took all of ten minutes to install including updates and the such-like. Works well with YouTube. Not tried it with any other video site yet...Season 5 Breaking Bad beckons via Netflix !
 Chromecast. - rtj70
And Better Call Saul will be on the UK Netflix site soon. If you enjoy Breaking Bad, you'll probably like the 'prequel'.
 Chromecast. - R.P.
Great !
 Chromecast. - rtj70
It starts next Monday I think. And there's a trailer. Some saying it's better than Breaking Bad. Not sure if that's possible :-)

At least you're on the last season of BB.
 Chromecast. - R.P.
Just polishing off Season 4 this weekend. I was going to buy the 5 DVD and then someone told me it was on Netflix. I try to avoid staring at laptop screens to watch TV...so I'll get my free month from Netflix and make sure I watch it all !
 Chromecast. - R.P.
Stunningly simple bit of kit. Signed up for a free month on Netflix - just fired up Season 5 of Breaking Bad on it - works as advertised. No buffering nothing. I love tech like this.
 Chromecast. - Stuartli
I've had a number of modems and modem routers over many years and, almost invariably, each successive model has proved superior to the previous one download speeds wise. So it might be worth trying a recent router..:-)
 Chromecast. - rtj70
Better Call Saul was okay. Not as good as Breaking Bad. Not yet at least.
 Chromecast. - R.P.
Same view....
 Chromecast. - R.P.
I'm sure someone said it wouldn't stream from Amzon Prime....it does
 Chromecast. - rtj70
Don't recall anyone saying that on here. You can't use Sky Go with a Chromecast.
Latest Forum Posts