Computer Related > Windows 10 will be 'free' Computing Issues
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 6

Windows 10 will be 'free' - rtj70
Apparently for the first 12 months (as an upgrade from Windows 7, 8.x and Phone) it will be free.

They are obviously afraid they will lose even more customers.

Admittedly a lot will get a new PC for it. And I doubt this applies to corporate accounts.
 Windows 10 will be 'free' - RattleandSmoke
Not read any of the usual sources today so this is needs for me, although I did suspect 10 would be a free upgrade for 8.1 customers. I assume that Windows 10 won't be free for new computers though unless it is one that qualifies for the Bing offer.

I bought a PC for a client for £150 the other day, Dual Core processor (about as good as an E6600 so not fast but fine for basic use, Windows 8.1 Bing, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, DVDRW) and that was brand new. Bad for me though as the repair side of my business is dying.

I still find that many people are happy to pay upwards of £500 for a proper PC though (I5, Corsair PSU, 8GB RAM, Western Digital Black drive etc).

I am sure one of the reasons for the declining sales of tablets and increase of sales in laptops is because of this cheap Bing deal.
 Windows 10 will be 'free' - movilogo
Many common applications are cross platform nowadays. So, OS is less relevant as user experience is nearly the same in Windows, Macs and Linux flavours.

Windows 8 interface was a strategic mistake (whether MS will disclose it in public or not) and they are now eager to get back those customers (especially corporate ones).

I think marriage between PC and tablet just doesn't work and Windows 7 was the last good Windows MS released.

Windows 10 will be 'free' - Robin O'Reliant
I'm quite happy with Win 8.1 plus the addition of Classic Shell, it works just like 7 only faster. Whether I do the upgrade to Win10 depends on whether Virtual Pool 4 runs on it.

Though it would do me a favour if it didn't as then I might get some work done.
 Windows 10 will be 'free' - Stuartli
According to this link, it will be free for the first year to users of Windows7 upwards. After that you pay except those who have already installed the free version.

www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2015/01/21/free-windows-10-unravels-key-microsoft-bashing-fodder/

Suppose you could download a copy and keep it in reserve until more is known about any problems.....

Windows 10 will be 'free' - RattleandSmoke
This is going to cause a nightmare for technicians dealing with domestic computers. It is bad enough as it is windows 8 keys now stored in the COA UEFI rather than on a physical sticker.

I worry that they are slowly moving towards the buy once keep for ever to the rent a operating system idea.
 Windows 10 will be 'free' - Zero
there is nothing new about this, I upgraded several people and one of mine from windows 7 to 8 then 8.1 all during the free upgrade period.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 22 Jan 15 at 17:56
Latest Forum Posts