Computer Related > Webcam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Webcam - BobbyG
Is it possible to get a webcam that plugs straight into a router and can then be viewed externally?

Looking to set up some sort of remote viewing for a short period of time so don't want to go to the expense of CCTV cameras etc? However there is no PC etc for the webcam to be plugged into - it would definitely need to be straight into router (which is not wireless).

Webcam - No FM2R
This sort of thing?

www.lorextechnology.com/Wireless-IP-cameras,-wireless-network-cameras/Wireless-IP-security-camera/prod320011.p
 Webcam - rtj70
Similar but not wireless. So maybe something like this?

www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-IC-1510-Fast-Ethernet-Camera/dp/B001U02HCI

Not saying this particular one which is only available used on Amazon.

Bobby, where do you intend accessing it from? If over the Internet then you'll need to do port forwarding and know the external IP address of the router. Which can change over time so you might want to have a dynamic DNS service setup.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 19 Jan 15 at 14:12
 Webcam - rtj70
If you really want to use a USB webcam and have one, then a cheap method to connect it to a router would be a Raspberry Pi. You'd probably need help setting it up.
 Webcam - Roger.
>>a Raspberry Pi. You'd probably need help setting it up.

Ask my 10 year old grandson - he's doing simple programming on one!
 Webcam - BobbyG
Yeah that sort of thing but the more I look into it the more I think it needs an actual CCTV camera.
Without being specific, I need to be aware when there is movement outwith predefined hours so unless I happen to be at my PC watching the webcam then I guess the best idea is for it just to be linked up to a hard drive and record (ie a CCTV system).
Oh and the camera needs to be discrete!
 Webcam - Zero
Do you need a record of whats happening, or do you need to be aware and notified real time?

for the second option you will need PIR or visual movement sensing capabilities.
 Webcam - Crankcase
No idea what access you have, if any, to Apple kit, but if you can beg scrounge or borrow an old iphone or ipad, you can do what you want free and easily using the Presence app. As well as motion detect, it will email you if you want when motion is detected, record the footage and so on.

Nice little package - I use it sometimes with an old iPhone 3GS and the iPad.
 Webcam - BobbyG
I have access to an old iphone 4 with no SIM?
 Webcam - Zero
>> I have access to an old iphone 4 with no SIM?

It will need access to wifi or a sim to send you alerts.

A PAYG sim wont cost the earth. (nothing in fact plus a top up)
 Webcam - BobbyG
In the first instance I need to know whether there is movement or whether what I am being told is a load of nonsense.
Thereafter, if it is established that there is movement then I would like to be able to see what that is (either recorded or real time).
Obviously if I am not near eqpt that allows me to view real time then I would probably want it recorded to view later.

Apologies for the vagueness but I am sure you can understand why.
 Webcam - rtj70
Sounds even more like something someone could put together using a Raspberry Pi and the Camera Module. The camera module could easily be be hidden out of sight.

ex-en.alliedelec.com/search/productview.aspx?SKU=70280250

www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-as-low-cost-HD-surveillance-camera/#step0
 Webcam - Crankcase
Install Presence on your iPhone. Forget the connectivity. Place in position as appropriate and launch app. Check it later.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 20 Jan 15 at 13:18
 Webcam - rtj70
I don't think BobbyG has a spare iPhone to place discretely somewhere. I seem to recall he's got a Sony Android phone. And he uses that so not likely to leave it somewhere as a security camera. I'm guessing a charity shop.

But a cheap Android phone might be the solution with the equivalent app. No idea how good this is for example:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivuu&hl=en

But you can get an Android phone for £50.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 20 Jan 15 at 13:55
 Webcam - VxFan
>> I don't think BobbyG has a spare iPhone

He has.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=18959&m=418492&v=e
Latest Forum Posts