Computer Related > E Mail Hack? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 5

E Mail Hack? - Bromptonaut
Had an email from a friend saying she thinks my email has been hacked. I've checked with her and it's genuine.

The subject line is 'Blog for Jude' and it contains a link to a .ru URL. Neither of us are clicking on it!!

It shows my name as sender but the actual sending address is not mine. I don't think it's a straight hack of my email as I've always known her as Judy rather than Jude so she's Judy in my contacts list. The only place I've seen her as Jude is Facebook. I don't know if other friends know her by that name.

My thinking is it's either a Facebook security issue or some mutual friend has been hacked and the 'bot' is feeding off their contacts list.

What do the experts in here suggest?
 E Mail Hack? - ToMoCo
Not an expert.

It sounds more like her machine is compromised and whatever it is is feeding off her own contacts list to make the links/email appear as if from friends.
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Fri 16 Jan 15 at 10:58
 E Mail Hack? - Zero
>> Not an expert.
>>
>> It sounds more like her machine is compromised and whatever it is is feeding off
>> her own contacts list to make the links/email appear as if from friends.

Thats possible, its also possible that anyone who appears in the same address book as you and her could be compromised.

Funnily enough I had an email this morning from E Fuels, with my latest invoice attached as a word .doc file.

Of course I have never had any dealings with E Fueles, and the .doc is actually a cleverly hidden .exe file. Could be bit locker.
 E Mail Hack? - VxFan
>> Funnily enough I had an email this morning from E Fuels, with my latest invoice
>> attached as a word .doc file.

I had two of them as well. Just gone into my account online (orange) and set up a filter to junk emails with the subject header the spammer used.

I also had a load of spam from the email address invoice@hexis.co.uk this week (until I tweeked my spam filter). When I visited their website it says they've had their email account hacked. Thing is, I've never ever had any dealings with them, so I don't know how the hackers found my email address on ther database.

www.hexis.co.uk/Hexis/Home.html
 E Mail Hack? - Slidingpillar
I've had quite lot of spam this year, and the common theme is an attachment that is not as it says, or contains a macro that overwrites your normal.dot I could look closer I guess, but not really any point. Mostly Word documents, but I've a feeling one Excel too.
 E Mail Hack? - Bromptonaut
Given my suspicion that it's Facebook related I've asked if any other FB friends have had a 'dodgy' email from me. Three hours later I've had no response although something I posted about the new Thunderbirds has had several likes and a couple of replies.

Inclined to think it's a third party that's been hacked, probably somebody in the circle of friends that links me with Judy.
Latest Forum Posts