Computer Related > Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 31

Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - Dave
Just now I have a regular desktop PC, into which I plug a 3G dongle (no land line here).

I've been given a tablet for Christmas, so of course I need some sort of network wireless thingy so I can get them all to work around the house.

So what do I actually need? I'm guessing a 'WiFi Hotspot', into which I can plug the dongle, and then the PC and tablet search for the wireless connection. Am I on the right track?
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - Zero
you can turn your PC into a wifi hotspot

fasttechbuzz.com/make-wifi-hotspot-in-windows-7/

not sure your existing 3g dongle will do the job, so buy a normal wireless dongle as well and plug that into a spare usb port on your pc.

Your pc then acts as a wireless router using your existing 3g connection.

cheap as chips to implement.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 11:15
But bare in mind I'm running an old pc with XP, so I'd rather have something that's nothing to do with this old machine.
Then you need a mifi dongle.

something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M5350-Hotspot-Unlocked-Internal/dp/B00B7TGVP6/ref=pd_cp_computers_1

Just slip your current 3g dongle sim into it.
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - MD
Further to my Hudl enquiry what does the panel (Zero) make of the ipad mini (2). I've spotted a 64gb cellular example at £299.00. which purports to be a saving of £270.00 which I find hard to believe, but is in fact irrelevant. The Apple Shop, I do so hate that word 'Store' only lists the mini 3 afaics which is a 2 equivalent with finger print security is it not?

Lots of Q.'s I know. MD
The only difference between an iPad mini 2 and a 3 is indeed the fingerprint touch sensor, everything else is exactly the same.

Ipad mini 2's with 64gb are no longer available and that price you have quoted sounds like the price for an iPad mini 1

As far as an IPAD doing what you want in your hudl enquiry, the iPad has no memory card slot. Photos will have to be put on it by its own camera, or a pc or a cloud service.

Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - rtj70
>> Photos will have to be put on it by its own camera, or a pc or a cloud service.

Or a Lightning to SD card reader? e.g. Apple's own:

store.apple.com/uk/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader
Excellent RT. Thank you.

'tis amazing what 'Bricks and Mortar' can learn here. Retention however, is another matter. :-0)
>> >> Photos will have to be put on it by its own camera, or a
>> pc or a cloud service.
>>
>> Or a Lightning to SD card reader? e.g. Apple's own:
>>
>> store.apple.com/uk/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

Very expensive and not compatible with some file formats.
Mmmmm. I have just read some very (polite) negative reviews regarding this item. If it is from Apple then why the hell do they market it?
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - rtj70
>> Very expensive and not compatible with some file formats.

Not looked into it - I don't have an iPad of any sort. But surely it works with JPEGs? If not, what a rip off. I can see RAW format being an issue - each camera has a plugin for applications on Windows/Mac OSX for example.

I've just got a USB On the Go adapter for my 'travel' tablet (Android running on a Nook) and plug a normal SD card reader or USB memory sticks into it.
>> Ipad mini 2's with 64gb are no longer available and that price you have quoted
>> sounds like the price for an iPad mini 1

The advert states (2) but point noted.
>>
>> As far as an IPAD doing what you want in your hudl enquiry, the iPad
>> has no memory card slot. Photos will have to be put on it by its
>> own camera, or a pc or a cloud service.
>>
Which can be a Faff of course.

The Hudl 2 battery life bothers me a little.
Thanks again Zero. So let me get this straight in my head. i know that the Hudl2 will do the job, end of.

Setting aside that expensive lightning to sd card cable (which may not work), picture this. I am sat in the van, camera/sd card in one hand and ipad mini 2 in the other. You mention cloud, I tunes, drop box etc., none of which I am familiar with, sat there what CAN I do to transfer said pic's. As you can see I WANT the ipad mini, but my guts say it ain't going to happen if I want to do the transfer there and then.

Best regards.
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - CGNorwich
The easiest way to transfer pictures from your camera to an iPad is either wiith the card reader or a lightning to USB connector into which you can plug the lead from your camera. Yes the leads are bit pricey but it's an Apple product and WILL work wiht the minimum amount of hassle.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 17:08

>> in the other. You mention cloud, I tunes, drop box etc., none of which I
>> am familiar with, sat there what CAN I do to transfer said pic's. As you
>> can see I WANT the ipad mini, but my guts say it ain't going to
>> happen if I want to do the transfer there and then.

Well the boiy from Nahrich says it will work, despite what a million unsatisfied people on the Apple forums say, and stuff from apple does not "just work" its an oft chanted payer spoken by blind and deaf apple fanbois, hoping if its repeated often enough in the lotus position it might actually be true.

Me? Id pay to come and watch you doing it and larf. I don't trust anything that does not have a proper USB port.

But hey go for the Pad - thats what you want.
? I'll get a translation first, but thanks anyway.
Well the guys from Norridge is sitting here tapping away on an iPad after just downloading a load of pictures directly from his Panasonic camera via a USB connector. Easy and quick.

Nearly all the stuff on the web stating that the USB connector doesn't work relates to people trying to download music,videos etc. It only works for photos. That Is what it is designed for and clearly described by Apple as such.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 19:45
Correction - it does support video as well as photos - not music though.

store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter
>> Nearly all the stuff on the web stating that the USB connector doesn't work relates
>> to people trying to download music,videos etc. It only works for photos. That Is what
>> it is designed for and clearly described by Apple as such.

So its not a USB to lightning adaptor then is it.

I can hear the wailing

Alah Steve Jobs Akabar

Hope your prayer mat is pointing to cupertino.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Dec 14 at 20:06
No it's a lightning to USB camera adaptor like it says on the packaging.

Anyway I though you were the Apple fanboy. Don't you have one of their hideously overpriced phones? Modestly priced Moto G here. You should try one. Screens are practically unbreakable.
you opted for the hideously overpriced pad tho from the sound of it.
Yes - well it was a present for my wife. Have to say though it is indeed expensive it does have the merit of being extremely simple to use and reliable. My wife hardly ever bothered to use the desk top or lap top uses the thing all the time. That when I have not borrowed it.

To be honest I would myself an Iphone if money was no object but for my comparatively limited usage can't really justify the eye watering expense. I must say I have been really impressed with the Moto G and it it difficult to see why an iphone should cost four times as much for a not massively different capability.

To return to the original question posed. If the OP wants something simple to use to upload photos easily on the go then an ipad mini with a USB camera lead would be a good way to go.
Indeedy do CGN. I have bought an Ipad mini2 with cellular and 64gb storage for £299.00 from PC World. As of 5 mins ago there was still a listing for another/some. I tried to buy it from PC World on the high street yesterday, but they didn't have any stock of mini 2's at all. When the assistant saw the price he said get to a computer quick cos that is cheap. Phoned SIL and he done the deed. Supposed to be collecting it today so hope they are as good as their word. No show will probably mean a Hudl2.
We'll, it's here and working. How simple even for me. Most impressed thus far. Thanks for all the help and advice.

MD.
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - legacylad
Glad you like your Mini.
Not as much fun as a 330 though.
I like my Air. As in both Apple & wind in the...
Regards
>> Glad you like your Mini.
>> Not as much fun as a 330 though.
>> I like my Air. As in both Apple & wind in the...
>> Regards
>>
It's very smooth, perhaps smoother than a 330. :-0)
I bought the wifi/mifi/hotspot thing that Zero recommended, and got it al working great.

Only problem is, the range is pathetic! It works in the next room, but not in the next room upstairs. I think it's made for the hipster types to carry with them and place on the table where they're working, and not for a whole house solution.

The good thing is, I don't need a password to log on, as there's no way anyone can get near enough to pick up the network unless they go to the back garden and stand next to the nearest window.
 Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - VxFan
The mifi device that I've got (Huawei E585) has a very good range. When put on charge the range also increases. It's also security enabled.

Wifi/Tablet/3g mobile - What do I need? - Bromptonaut
No Wi-Fi is going to be much good at penetrating brick/stone. Wonder if construction of Dave's place (in Sweden IIRC) is part of problem?
All wood here, although the chimney is stone.
All wood here, although the chimney is stone.
well it seems to be working twice as well as mine
Latest Forum Posts