Computer Related > Changing BB provider. Dozy question Computing Issues
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Changing BB provider. Dozy question - legacylad
From a self confessed numpty.....after 12 years with Tiscali ( now TalkTalk) I have had enough of their atrocious service. I could go on & on but will refrain from so doing because I need a pint!
I have looked at the 'moneysavingexpert' site to check out the best deals and am thinking of moving to Plusnet, purely on the grounds of better customer service and a cheaper deal. My email address ends in tiscali.co.uk so if I begin a new landline/BB package I presume I will lose that email address and have to get another? Which means I have to let all my contracts, and people whose email list I am on, know?
Help!
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - Pat
I ended my contract with Tiscali last January and can still use my @tiscali.co.uk address for receiving mail so there's no need to panic.

Pat
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - Zero
>> I ended my contract with Tiscali last January and can still use my @tiscali.co.uk address
>> for receiving mail so there's no need to panic.
>>
>> Pat

Ditto, BUT you can't send anything from it, only receive.
Yes Z, watch my lips, that's why I said >>can still use my @tiscali.co.uk address for receiving mail << :)

Pat
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - rtj70
... but because you cannot send mail with your tiscali account, you are perhaps best to let people know your new email address. They might get confused when you reply using a different email account/address.

And if you are moving away from Tiscali, and could move again, I'd not use the ISP's mail service. Then any future move to a new ISP does not change your email address.
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - Zero
>> Yes Z, watch my lips,

I was merely reinforcing the point about receiving only, and you can stuff your shirty attitude where the sun don't shine.

Watch my lips indeed

Stroppy cow
Stroppy? You ain't seen nothing yet!

If you want stroppy see my thread about Reading and watch as the day goes on and on, and on.

The roast beef gets tougher and the yorkies (Aunt Bessie's) get burned....now that'll be stroppy!

Pat
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - spamcan61

>> Ditto, BUT you can't send anything from it, only receive.
>>
In practical terms though, pretty much any email client will allow you to choose the 'from' email address - my sent emails appear to be from my Freeserve email account, but I haven't used their broadband (now Orange or something I suppose) in a decade.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 02:13
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - Stuartli
I still get mail via my dial.pipex.com e-mail address, first created in 1996.....:-)
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - VxFan
>> >> I ended my contract with Tiscali last January and can still use my @tiscali.co.uk
>> address for receiving mail.

>> Ditto, BUT you can't send anything from it, only receive.

Of course you can still send mail from it. You just alter the SMTP address in the settings of your email software to your new providers SMTP address.

i.e. for years I was with Freeserve. the outgoing SMTP was smtp.freeserve.co.uk. When I changed to Pipex, I just changed the SMTP address to smtp.dsl.pipex.com and carried on using the Freeserve email address to send and receive emails.
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - No FM2R
>>Which means I have to let all my contracts, and people whose email list I am on, know?

Selectively.

Since you can continue to receive email from them, you can be selective about which contact uses which email address for you.

And take your time to organise it.

But I do recommend you get an email address not dependent on any particular supplier. You can go with Outlook.com, GMail etc. or you can get your own domain.
>>e I presume I will lose that email address and have to get another? Which
>> means I have to let all my contracts, and people whose email list I am
>> on, know?
>> Help!
>>

no and no, as Stu and I prove.
SQ
>> no and no, as Stu and I prove.
>>
I'm talking crap, ignore me. I forgot I keep my Freeserve PAYG account live* just to keep the email functionality live.

*although the dial up number doesn't work any more.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Dec 14 at 10:19
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - VxFan
>> I forgot I keep my Freeserve PAYG account live* just to keep the email functionality live.

Doesn't apply any more. I phoned Orange up (who now own Freeserve/Wanadoo, etc) because the refesh website no longer worked that I used to visit every 3 months or so to keep my fsnet account alive. They said that they're not cancelling "non used" email addresses anymore.
ah right cheers for the heads up, that'll save my 3 monthly nostalgia trip as I fire up the 56k modem!
 Changing BB provider. Dozy question - MD
I still use an fsnet add. to access Autotrader years after I stopped using it.

The down side I find with changing email addresses is that nearly everyone says they'll change it in their address books then either doesn't or does......but does not delete the one you want deleted. This can and has resulted in lost business for me at least cos they then send 'stuff' to the original addy. Ruddy nightmare. Not good.
Latest Forum Posts