Computer Related > Chromecast Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 11

Chromecast - BobbyG
Just saw an advert for this and looks good gadget for the price. I occasionally watch films, catch up programs and live football streaming (from dodgy websites) on my laptop and Android tablet.

So am I right in saying you just plug that into an HDMI socket on your TV and whatever you have on laptop / tablet will be shown on TV? How does it actually work from the device eg. football streaming is from a website so how does Chromecast take that over? Is it opened in another window or how does it work?

I currently would just hook laptop up to TV via fixed HDMI cable so will this give just as good a picture? Assume you will still lose quality when you enlarge the website stream to full screen?

Finally, anyone got one - any feedback?
 Chromecast - Zero
>> Just saw an advert for this and looks good gadget for the price. I occasionally
>> watch films, catch up programs and live football streaming (from dodgy websites) on my laptop
>> and Android tablet.
>>
>> So am I right in saying you just plug that into an HDMI socket on
>> your TV and whatever you have on laptop / tablet will be shown on TV?

No not quite like that

>> How does it actually work from the device eg. football streaming is from a website
>> so how does Chromecast take that over? Is it opened in another window or how
>> does it work?

It works via plugins to Chrome Browser on a windows / mac laptop but is a native device to android. Essentially you can "cast" Iplayer, BT sport, Netflix, youtube and any video you have downloaded to your device.

>> I currently would just hook laptop up to TV via fixed HDMI cable so will
>> this give just as good a picture? Assume you will still lose quality when you
>> enlarge the website stream to full screen?

Quality is not quite as good as a direct cable but very watchable, Its very very convenient
>> Finally, anyone got one - any feedback?

Yes, me and you just got it.
 Chromecast - rtj70
>> It works via plugins to Chrome Browser on a windows / mac laptop but is a native device to
>> Android. Essentially you can "cast" Iplayer, BT sport, Netflix, youtube and any video you have
>> downloaded to your device.

On Windows/Mac you can cast anything from within a Chrome browser window. You can even cast the entire desktop. BUT you can't cast a Chrome browser with Sky Go in it. I've not tried having Sky Go in say Safari or Firefox and then casting the desktop with Chrome.. might work. I bet Sky thought of that.

When you cast iPlayer, NetFlix, etc. you're actually only telling the Chromecast device the URL to retrieve the video itself. It goes directly to the website. Cast from the browser or the desktop and it's from computer/tablet/phone directly to Chromecast.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 7 Dec 14 at 18:48
 Chromecast - Zero
>> You can even
>> cast the entire desktop.

Strictly speaking the desktop is not "cast"* but shared. May seem a mute point till you try and get audio from a video on your desktop to the tele.

* I am sure the vocabulary and language pedants will be apoplectic about the use of "cast"and "casting" as an abbreviation of "broadcast"
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Dec 14 at 19:29
 Chromecast - BobbyG
So I can't use the Sky / Virgin app on the Ipad to then show the football on a TV?
 Chromecast - rtj70
Definitely not Sky's app and probably not Virgin either.

The apps that support casting, actually send the URL of what you're trying to watch to the Chromecast device. The Chromecast device then retrieves the content via the URL itself. Whilst playing, nothing then comes via your iPad. It's directly between the content provider and the Chromecast.

Some of the apps/providers supporting Chromecast include iPlayer, Netflix, etc. But not Sky... unfortunately. Not even if you have Sky Go Extra.

Note I've ignored casting video in the Chrome browser to the device. This works for some sites. Sky on the other hand does not support the Chrome browser any longer.
 Chromecast - Zero
No, but hey thats no loss, its only the hoops. On the good side you can watch the England Scotland game again.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Dec 14 at 20:13
 Chromecast - BobbyG
hmmmmm......
 Chromecast - smokie
"* I am sure the vocabulary and language pedants will be apoplectic about the use of "cast"and "casting" as an abbreviation of "broadcast"

Pedants? Here? I'd not noticed :-)
 Chromecast - CGNorwich

>> Pedants? Here? I'd not noticed :-)
>>

You have missed out the full stop after "noticed". :-)
 Chromecast - neiltoo
Duty pedant here.

I was off duty over the weekend, so missed the erroneous use of "discrete".

No probs with "cast" and "casting" - reasonable abbreviations derived from "Chromecast".

Please explore the difference between "moot" and "mute".

Going off duty again now.

8o)
 Chromecast - Zero

>> Please explore the difference between "moot" and "mute".
>>
>> Going off duty again now.

When you come back on duty your personal possessions will be in a cardboard box at reception, you are fired.

Audio? Mute?
Latest Forum Posts