Computer Related > ALDI Tablet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 9

ALDI Tablet - rtj70
I know this perhaps should go in the computer thread or bargains.

But next week ALDI has a cheap 10" tablet. Probably poor quality for that price. But their return policy is good. If someone wanted a 10" Android tablet... might be worth looking at?

www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-11-december/product-detail/ps/p/101-tablet-pc/

I wonder if Android 5.0 Lollipop will ever support the 64-bit nature of the Intel CPU in this?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 5 Dec 14 at 19:18
 ALDI Tablet - Zero
>> I wonder if Android 5.0 Lollipop will ever support the 64-bit nature of the Intel
>> CPU in this?

As there will never be an update to Andoid 5 provided for this, no-one will ever know. I guess that if anyone manages to root the Hudl 2 (better value i guess) then maybe it will work on this.

Until it gets rooted neither will get 5

Should be possible to stick a version of windows 8.1 on it tho!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Dec 14 at 19:41
 ALDI Tablet - rtj70
Neither will sell enough I guess to get a Cyanogenmod port. Hadn't thought of Windows 8.1 though.

But you don't need to root a device to put an alternative OS on. You need to access the boot loader.

P.S. I never rooted my nook to get Cyanogenmod on it. But I did have to get access to the boot loader to put on an alternative OS.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 5 Dec 14 at 20:15
 ALDI Tablet - Zero

>> But you don't need to root a device to put an alternative OS on. You
>> need to access the boot loader.

someone has done it
 ALDI Tablet - Zero
>>
>> >> But you don't need to root a device to put an alternative OS on.
>> You
>> >> need to access the boot loader.
>>
>> someone has done it

Edit, but not reliably!
 ALDI Tablet - Alastairw
Lollypop not that great an improvement imo. Things that were simple in previous iteration now fiddly. Additions unnecessary. Only one I can see of use is 'casting' the screen to TV, but need to invest in a chromecast first.
 ALDI Tablet - rtj70
>> Only one I can see of use is 'casting' the screen to TV, but need to invest in a chromecast first.

That's not Android 5 (Lollypop) related. It's Chrome browser related. And casting to a Chromecast is supported in other apps. Even Chrome on Mac/Windows/Linux can do that.
 ALDI Tablet - Zero

>> is supported in other apps. Even Chrome on Mac/Windows/Linux can do that.

Yup, I have two chrome cast dongles, you can cast iplayer, any video showing on chrome, and any video on your device from android/PC/Iphone/Mac

Its a fine little device
 ALDI Tablet - rtj70
And it's the reason Sky stopped supporting Chrome as a browser I am guessing.
 ALDI Tablet - Stuartli
..or more likely Sky doesn't support Chromecast because it offers NowTV..:-)
Latest Forum Posts