Computer Related > Word versions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 4

Word versions - BobbyG
I had Office 2003 on my laptop and installed Office 2013.
However when opening any word documents it seems to use Word 2003 to open these as opposed to 2013. If I open a new document I click on Word 2013 and do it that way.

Is there a way to set the defaults? I checked the default programs and this is set for Microsoft Word but doesn't actually say which version?

Must admit when I installed the 2013 I assumed it would automatically have uninstalled 2003 but it hasn't.
 Word versions - Zero

>> Is there a way to set the defaults? I checked the default programs and this
>> is set for Microsoft Word but doesn't actually say which version?

Yes but you need to be confident about diving into, and editing the registry, and knowing what keys to move.

As it is Word 2003 will still be the default suite, but 2013 will open Docx documents.
 Word versions - rtj70
Word/Office 2013 will open the old documents okay. I'd uninstall it.

But you don't need to edit the registry to sort the default opening behaviour for .doc, .xls, etc. But you don't say which version of Windows.

If you right click on one of the files in Explorer and select Open With, and then select the program to use and make it Word 2013 and make sure if is set to be the default... should then open all .doc files with Word 2013.

Really should only have one version of Office.

If what I suggest does not show Office 2013 apps as an option to open the file, Windows' default programs setting should reset it too.
 Word versions - BobbyG
>>If you right click on one of the files in Explorer and select Open With, and then select the program to use and make it Word 2013 and make sure if is set to be the default... should then open all .doc files with Word 2013

Cheers Rob, this seems to have sorted it for now.
 Word versions - Stuartli
I found out a long time ago that Word is not always/isn't compatible with earlier versions. Never made sense to me.
Latest Forum Posts