Computer Related > Lycos mail Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 5

Lycos mail - sooty123
I've an account with them, everytime i try and log in I'm warned the security certificate is out of date. Any real risks to just ignoring the warnings?

Thanks.
 Lycos mail - No FM2R
A certificate is helping your browser to be sure that its talking to who it thinks its talking to, and not some other inserted potentially malicious website.

And out of date certificate means that it has not been renewed, as opposed to never having had one. So, its less significant.

So, an out of date certificate is not a danger in itself, but it could potentially stop you catching something malicious in the event that someone tries.

I'd be a little circumspect, and I'd wonder why. But I probably wouldn't stop using the site unless something else occurred as well.

Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be using my credit card on that site..

Lycos mail - sooty123
I only really use it for one or two things. I'm surprised that a big company would forget to renew it, or is that normal?
 Lycos mail - WillDeBeest
I thought Lycos had disappeared. I used to use it for throwaway email but it ceased to be available five or six years ago. Did someone buy it?

Certificate errors can vary with the network you're using. I find I get one if I go to my BT mail server through the corporate VPN, but not from my office desk or through the BT network at home. Some sites in the Sonos domain behave the same way.
 Lycos mail - No FM2R
Sometimes certificate errors can result from having the date/time set incorrectly on your computer.

As for certificates that are expired, not its not *that* common. And its not a situation that should continue for long. If its been going on for a while, then check the settings on your own computer and email lycos and ask.
 Lycos mail - Zero
Lycos? good lord is that still around?
Latest Forum Posts