Computer Related > CCleaner Scam? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 17

CCleaner Scam? - Duncan
I have CCleaner installed on my PC and it is up to date.

For several days now when I start my PC, a pop-up box has opened in the bottom right of my screen which shows the CCleaner logo and says "CCleaner version 0 is available. Click here to update", or words to that effect.

I assume this is a scam of some description, but what? How do I get rid of it?
 CCleaner Scam? - Bromptonaut
There's a setting in CC, either at download or in its options, to (a) check for updates and (b) run CC when computer starts.

Suspect that if both are selected it will function as you describe.
 CCleaner Scam? - Pat
I have been getting that too and wondered about it.

Pat
 CCleaner Scam? - Bromptonaut
>> There's a setting in CC, either at download or in its options, to (a) check
>> for updates and (b) run CC when computer starts.
>>
>> Suspect that if both are selected it will function as you describe.

Missed edit,

Above is not to say 'no scam', just that there may be an explanation.
 CCleaner Scam? - Duncan
I get an email when there is an update available. I checked that CCleaner is up to date. I am satisfied that the message that I am seeing is bogus.

How can I stop it appearing?
 CCleaner Scam? - Victorbox
The latest version of CCleaner seems to monitor the PC all the time to check whether cleaning is needed. So it's running in the background. You can turn it off in the options menu ignoring the dire warnings if you do.
 CCleaner Scam? - Duncan
Thank you for your post, but if you will forgive me Victorbox, I think you are missing the point.

I believe the message I am seeing is not from CCleaner, but from someone pretending to be CCleaner.

My question is - how do I establish that and what can I do to prevent it happening?
 CCleaner Scam? - Pat
Duncan, I did exactly what victorbox advised early this morning and I haven't seen the message at all today.

Pat
 CCleaner Scam? - No FM2R
Duncan,

1) Switch off the option which determines that CC will automatically check for updates.

[Open CC, Options, Settings, untick "Automatically check for....."]

2) Verify that this has stopped the pop up.

3) If yes then open CC again and click on "Check for updates" in the bottom right corner and see if there is, in fact, an update available.

4) If no and the pop up still appears, then run a good virus and malware checker.

4) If all is ok and there is an upgrade available, then upgrade being careful to avoid the full version and any other software it tries to force on to you.

[the latest version is 4.19.4867]

Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 6 Nov 14 at 14:58
 CCleaner Scam? - No FM2R
N.B. 4.19.4867 is the 64bit version, dunno if the 32bit is the same.
 CCleaner Scam? - Victorbox
>> Thank you for your post, but if you will forgive me Victorbox, I think you
>> are missing the point.

I'm 99% sure it is from CCleaner telling you to update - which it can now do as it's always running in the background. Turn it off as others have told you how to do in options and if it goes away you've solved the problem.
 CCleaner Scam? - Pat
Mine hasn't appeared at all since I turned the options off yesterday and previously it was popping up daily.

Do as you're told Duncan and stop fannying about!

Pat
 CCleaner Scam? - Duncan
>> Mine hasn't appeared at all since I turned the options off yesterday and previously it
>> was popping up daily.
>>
>> Do as you're told Duncan and stop fannying about!
>>
>> Pat

Did as I was told!

No recurrence, yet.
 CCleaner Scam? - Pat
.....and the moral of this story is, always do what a woman tells you Duncan!

Pat
 CCleaner Scam? - Addison
CCleaner just get's rid of your temp files and cleans it out a bit.... like washing your hands... registry wise... I don't use it, trust or think about using anything.... Every Cert I have done has recommended not to use them... they usually create more errors than they fix... So don't use the registry side of CCleaner IMO. I got a Super clocked rig and Im fussy most of the time on what goes onto it/ comes of it data/application wise... and I don't think I would benifit from CCleaner that much at all...
 CCleaner Scam? - VxFan
>> So don't use the registry side of CCleaner IMO.

Never had a problem with it myself in the many years I've been using it - on multiple PCs.
 CCleaner Scam? - Stuartli
Found CCleaner a bit drastic if not configured properly, so used Austlogics BoostSpeed for some time until recently when MajorGeeks.com offered Wise 365 Pro as a freebie over the Christmas period.

Installed it and found it excellent, as have a number of friends to whom I've recommended it.
See:

www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wise_care_365.html

CCleaner Scam? - Duncan
Our new poster, Addison has resurrected this thread after a couple of months of inactivity. As the OP, as far as I am concerned, it's all dead water under the bridge.
Latest Forum Posts