Computer Related > Tablet. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 102

Tablet. - Roger.
A leap into tabletting - I've just ordered a Hudl2.
Of course it's in UKIP purple, with a purple and orange case!
Cost is £125 net after my Tesco clubcard boost of a magnificent £14!
It's my Christmas and birthday present to myself! (To avoid recriminations from SWMBO).
A learning curve approaches, but I'll give a review when I've got to grips with it.
Not sure yet when it'll be a my local Tesco Express for pick-up, though - I dare say there will be quite a demand.

Tablet. - Stuartli
Enjoy...:-)
 Tablet. - Pat
Me too, but I bought it over a week ago and I'm too scared to look at it!

It's an Asus Transformer T100 thingy with the dreaded Windows 8 on it.

Note to self: Must try turning it on today.

Pat
 Tablet. - RichardW
We've got a Hudl - I always reach for the laptop, tablets seem a bit Emperor's new clothes to me.... Maybe I'm just a luddite!
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Since getting the iPad my desktop PC wasn't turned on for two years. Did turn it on last week for a specific PC only job, but just not needed for day to day use. Having said that I don't do much on the internet these days, so for a bit of web, the odd Spotify, a bit of email and the occasional "send a movie from my hard drive to the tv please Mr iPad", it's fine.

Just ordered one of those little new Amazon Fire HD 6 tablets, more to play with than anything else. Just £79 so not expecting much but might be interesting for a while, although it'll be as baked into the Amazon eco system as the Hudl is to Tesco one of course.

Tablet. - rtj70
>> it'll be as baked into the Amazon eco system as the Hudl is to Tesco one of course.

Amazon have heavily customer Android for their tablets and phone. Very tightly integrated with Amazon services. Tesco on the other hand have taken stock Android and added some apps. So not tightly coupled to anything Tesco does but their apps are already on there.
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Fair enough. I'll play for a bit and then hack into it in whatever way seems most interesting.
 Tablet. - sherlock47
Hudl1 you could remove (or hide?) the Tesco apps. Not sure if the same applies to Hudl2?
 Tablet. - Zero
The hudle 2 is a fine bit of kit, the only drawbacks are the battery life and slightly limited storage (tho it also has a memory slot), but at the price its the best value bit of computing kit out there.

I'll wait till the root image arrives and then buy one and root it.

or wait till Nexus 8 arrives and Nexus 7 (2013) subsequently falls in price.
 Tablet. - Bromptonaut
Had the original model Hudl for 10 months now. Excellent bit of kit. Still prefer the netbook for extended web browsing (a) for keyboard and (b) touch screen can be a bit insensitive, particularly on this site.

However for a quick browse on campsite/pub/hotel, reading (Kindle) books on holiday, satnav and using a radio app for Radio 4 and 5 it's unbeatable. Need to be careful to switch off after a usage session though as it uses battery on standby, albiet taking several days to go flat.

OTOH it's got MUCH better battery life in use than Mrs B's Samsung Galaxy.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 10 Oct 14 at 12:57
 Tablet. - John Boy
That's pretty much how I'd assess my Hudl1, Bromptonaut. I'm not very good at reading instructions so I've only just worked out how to switch if off properly. I began to wonder how some apps could get updated overnight! It's made the world of difference to battery life.
 Tablet. - rtj70
Rumours suggest the two Nexus devices due soon are the Nexus 6 (phone) and Nexus 9 (tablet).
 Tablet. - Stuartli
These two refurbished Nexus 7 offers may prove of interest:

www.expansys.com/
 Tablet. - Zero
>> These two refurbished Nexus 7 offers may prove of interest:
>>
>> www.expansys.com/

Not for me, thats the poor 2012 one.
 Tablet. - Stuartli
>> Rumours suggest the two Nexus devices due soon are the Nexus 6 (phone) and Nexus 9 (tablet).>>

Hardly rumours...:-)

tinyurl.com/l77qwo5

tinyurl.com/k58vfnk

Hudl2 review:

tinyurl.com/l5yx46l
 Tablet. - rtj70
Nexus 6 is a given. But until the last week or so there'd been talk of a Nexus 8 and Nexus 9. And it was thought the Nexus 9 would have an Nvidia ARM processor... but now it might not. Apparently made by HTC.
 Tablet. - Stuartli
Known about both being on their way for a little while now. Some recent stories:

tinyurl.com/leqsg3e

tinyurl.com/o5tnqd2

Tablet. - Roger.
Slowly getting to grips with it. a few annoyances such as not being able to exit and application or web page as easily as I'm used to.
My only real disappointment is the awfully low sound volume when using headphones.
Despite downloading and setting a sound boost app to its maximum - ignoring dire warnings of auricular damage (too late!) - I just cannot hear speech clearly on BBCiPlayer or ITV Player.
I've managed to tweak VLC player for increased treble, which helps on downloaded TV stuff.
I'm using Sennheiser over-ear enclosed headphones which work well on my PC.
Any ideas?
 Tablet. - rtj70
Maybe the headphones can't be driven that well by the Hudl 2? Have you tried different headphones as a test?

I see the original Hudl is only £79 whilst stock lasts.
 Tablet. - Pat
I still haven't managed to turn mine on yet.....

Pat
 Tablet. - Duncan
>> I still haven't managed to turn mine on yet.....
>>
>> Pat
>>

Best not to rush these things!

Tablet. - VxFan
>> Since getting the iPad my desktop PC wasn't turned on for two years.

Whereas I still prefer using my desktop instead of my laptop and iPad.

The iPad is ok for 5 min quick browsing, but I couldn't get used to using it for long periods of time. Far better than using my iPhone for doing emails and browsing the web though.
 Tablet. - Fursty Ferret
>> Me too, but I bought it over a week ago and I'm too scared to
>> look at it!
>>
>> It's an Asus Transformer T100 thingy with the dreaded Windows 8 on it.
>>
>> Note to self: Must try turning it on today.
>>
>> Pat
>>

My mum is the original techno-phobe and loves hers, I'll ask if she has any tips.

I like Windows 8 - I'd recommend if nothing else you take a little time to become familiar with the swipe actions from the left (for application switching) and the right (the charms bar).

Fill up the start screen with stuff so you don't need to go hunting elsewhere.

Watch a bit of this video:

windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/tutorial

Windows 8 also has built in ad-blocking in Internet Explorer but it's a bit involved to turn it on. Can post instructions if you want.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sat 11 Oct 14 at 09:41
 Tablet. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Windows 8 also has built in ad-blocking in Internet Explorer but it's a bit involved
>> to turn it on. Can post instructions if you want.
>>

If you will please.
 Tablet. - Roger.
For those thinking of a hudl2 - the so-called "shell cover" is a complete con!
It, when fitted, only covers the back of the tablet (rubberised anyway) and not the screen which is where you want protection.
I assumed that a shell, by its very description, would enclose the tablet.
Additionally Tesco have the utter gall to charge a tenner for this - churned out, FOB, for about 25p to 50p, max.
Grrrr.
The hudl earphones at six quid are about what you'd expect and do not solve the lack of volume on iPlayer YouTube and ITV player.
Interestingly, using VLC player for Android, I can tweak it with the built in equaliser and the app. "Speaker Boost" so that downloaded video's volume is OK for my crp hearing.
Odd, that, but "Speaker Boost" does not seem to work with iPlayer etc.
 Tablet. - Crankcase
You might not want to spend even more money but perhaps a Bluetooth speaker might help?

Cheap like this one or whatever you want to spend up to hundreds.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GUI5240/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1413106793&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Not used this one and don't know how easy it is to connect to hudl but Bluetooth ought to be trivial and of course requires no wires. It's the route I'd be looking at.
 Tablet. - Roger.
Bluetooth headphones, maybe, but speakers are not much use to me, regrettably.
I can hear the TV, via the sound-bar we bought and with both hearing aids in, but it has to be at a volume which is really too high for my wife's comfort and of course we have to be interested in the same program.
I tend to find it less wearing to use wireless headphones for most TV viewing and of course, subtitles are a great help.
 Tablet. - Roger.
Will using Bluetooth headphones mute the tablet speakers automatically as a physical jack plug placed into an audio socket out does?
Or - does the sound output via Bluetooth leave the tablet before it reaches the volume control button's function?
 Tablet. - Zero
>> Will using Bluetooth headphones mute the tablet speakers automatically as a physical jack plug placed
>> into an audio socket out does?

Yes

>> Or - does the sound output via Bluetooth leave the tablet before it reaches the
>> volume control button's function?

the volume control still controls the bluetooth output.

Tablet. - Roger.
Thank you!
 Tablet. - Zero
>> For those thinking of a hudl2 - the so-called "shell cover" is a complete con!
>>
>> It, when fitted, only covers the back of the tablet (rubberised anyway) and not the
>> screen which is where you want protection.
>> I assumed that a shell, by its very description, would enclose the tablet

And stop the touch screen working. My iPhone is now over 4 years old, it has been in one of those shells that leaves the screen free, and the screen is fine. The shell protects the corners of the bezel and stops the screen breaking when you drop it.

You can get "ruggedised" cases for touch screen devices, that cover the screen in capacitive stuff - they are a PITA to use.

Tablet. - Roger.
It will fit to cover the screen for travel, or leaving about the house, protection. it's easy enough to reverse it for use.
 Tablet. - Fursty Ferret
>> >>
>> >> Windows 8 also has built in ad-blocking in Internet Explorer but it's a bit
>> involved
>> >> to turn it on. Can post instructions if you want.
>> >>
>>
>> If you will please.
>>

Open up Internet Explorer (this assumes you're using the "Modern" version, instructions for classic below.)

Swipe in from the right to bring up the charms bar, then choose "Settings", "Privacy", "Add tracking protection list".

Add "EasyList" and "EasyPrivacy". EasyList blocks ads; EasyPrivacy stops advertisers tracking you around the internet.

-----------

Classic IE (desktop version):

Click the cog in the upper right corner; then "Manage Add-ons", then "Tracking Protection".

Then same as above. You can turn this off on a site-by-site basis if you have no problem with the ads.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 13 Oct 14 at 09:51
 Tablet. - Pat
Thanks FF, any tips are welcome, specially from another oldie:)

I've had my smart (I'd argue with that term) phone almost a year now and have only just realised why Facebook doesn't load on mine....I was scrolling it down instead of up.

I did drop it yesterday and broke the screen although it still works.

Time is the main problem at the moment because I just know when I get started I shall want to sit there all day setting it up!

Pat
 Tablet. - Roger.
Well, I've got some way to solving the problem of very, very, low volume when listening to the hudl2 on ear/headphones.
Apparently the problem is common to all Android devices and is due to rules being set (from somewhere!) regarding the maximum permissible volume emitted via headphones.
I have installed the open source media player XBMC - now know as the Kodi player, This has its own volume setting plus a volume gain slider. (Set to maximum to both for me!) This is not Google approved, so device security permissions have to be altered to allow download and installation
In addition I have also installed an authorised app, from Google Playstore, Music Volume Equaliser, which is, as its name infers, an equaliser app, geared to maximise bass. However by use of the equaliser slide controls, treble may be increased and this combination of two apps has actually made dialogue on downloaded video, BBC iPlayer. ITV Player and YouTube reasonably clear for my knackered ears.
This solution might be of interest to others of you finding headphone volume on Android devices to be unacceptably low.
 Tablet. - Pat
I still haven't turned mine on......but I have bought a nice leather case for it.

Pat
 Tablet. - John Boy
>> I still haven't turned mine on......but I have bought a nice leather case for it.
>>

If you make it too comfy, it'll never want to do any work.
 Tablet. - BobbyG
That's interesting Roger - one of the gripes I had with my Sony Xperia SP phone since the day I got it was the Bluetooth volume.

Linked up to a Parrot handsfree kit the volume was just not loud enough to be heard even though previous Xperia, and every other phone paired to it, was fine.

Complained and long story short, was told this was some sort of directive about controlling volumes etc and could not be changed.

However, either my hearing suddenly improved, or at the last android update, this was changed as the volume is now fine through it!
 Tablet. - RattleandSmoke
I am the only one that doesn't get tablets? I have a dual core Samsung Tab I use for when I am travelling, but at home I use two desktops and and a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 for my computing needs. I just get very frustrated with the fact a tablet is not a PC for day to day tasks.

However I touch type etc so a proper keyboard is a must for any proper work. I also find that my phone will do most tasks too so the only need for my tablet is when I go away.
 Tablet. - rtj70
We have two tablets and I use an Android smartphone. I do not particularly like tablets but they can be handy. And the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" means my other half can use it when I am working from home in the office. She doesn't like laptops (touchpads are the issue).

The second smaller tablet is for use on holidays and used as an eReader. I also have a Kindle e-ink reader but apart from in bright outside light I prefer to use a tablet.

I also have a Macbook Pro and much prefer to use that over a tablet.
 Tablet. - RattleandSmoke
I do love my tablet when I am away, but I am finding I am doing more remote support work and I am in the middle of building a server so I can host my mine but I really need a proper PC to use it. So I find if I am away for a week or so I still need a proper laptop. My tablet is brilliant if I am away for a couple of days and don't want to pack much luggage.

I have probably lost a few domestic customers because of tablets, but I am finding that demand for Windows 7 laptops has never been stronger.
 Tablet. - Manatee
I don't have one - I'd quite like one, but I can't think of a use for it!

I use a phone or a laptop, or when I need a bigger screen, the desktop. When I travel I take the laptop if the phone won't do.
 Tablet. - Roger.
My laptop is (a) a 17" screen, (b) heavy and (c) cooks your groin area, so travelling will be better with a tablet. We are off grandchildren-sitting at half term so that will be the real test for it.
 Tablet. - No FM2R
The gap between what I can use my phone for and what I have to use a laptop for is not large enough for a tablet to fit into.
 Tablet. - Runfer D'Hills
I love my iPad. I've an iPhone too and that's ok for email on the run etc but too small and fiddly for much else.

I use the iPad for most things now, only reverting to a laptop or desktop when a bigger screen is handier as with dreaded spreadsheets etc. ( did we ever count so many things or add them up in so many different ways quite as much before spreadsheets ? Do we really need to now ? )

I rather like using the iPad to work while lying on the sofa in my office. Suits my personality.

;-)
>>
>> I rather like using the iPad to work while lying on the sofa in my
>> office. Suits my personality.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
I hope you're not naked.
 Tablet. - Runfer D'Hills
Sometimes my feet are, but I limit it to that.
 Tablet. - Roger.
I have no need whatsoever for a smart phone. Even my ordinary mobile is seldom in my pocket or switched on. If I was working, that would be a different matter, I agree.
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Amazon Fire HD 6 turned up at the weekend. I'm sure it's lovely - turned it on, set it up, thought, hmm, it's just like an ipad isn't it, used it for three minutes, gave it to Mrs C in the hope she might be interested at last.

She isn't.

Oh well, I guess I'll find a use for it in the end, or give it to a family member who might like it. If I can find one.

Tablet. - VxFan
>> I guess I'll find a use for it in the end, or give it to a family member who might like it. If I can find one.

Christmas present for someone?
Sell it?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 10:19
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Probably something along those lines. Might have a go at jailbreaking if/when I can be bothered to research it to see if it can be done.

If I didn't already have an iPad I'd be very happy with it though. Smart bit of kit for fourpence.
 Tablet. - rtj70
The Kindle Fire tablets use Android as their underlying operating system. Amazon has taken a particular version and then developed it to their requirements - so it is not vanilla Android and has Amazon specifics. They have then put their on UI on it - easy to do on any Android device. And made it dependent on Amazon for many of its services and don't let you install apps from Google's app store (although some will be in both).

Barnes and Noble did similar with their Nook tablets. Except just before they pulled the plug on their own tablets they released an update to allow you to install any Android app from Google Play Store.

The Android term for getting full access (because of it's Linux origins) is to root a device. Easily done. But to install a stock Android image does not need root - you just need to unlock the boot loader and then install a new installation. I did this with my Nook HD as soon as I got it - I took a backup and then installed Cyanogenmod on it. So it's a vanilla Android device with nothing B&N on it.

There's probably something similar for the Kindle Fires but with the 6" one being new, I doubt if anyone has sorted it out 100% yet because the installation needs to deal with the hardware in the device.
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Interesting, ta, Rob. Will keep an eye on it, although to be honest if if I rooted it I'm not sure what I'd use it for. One of those "the journey is more exciting than the destination" things I think.
 Tablet. - rtj70
All that the term rooting gives you on an Android tablet is the ability to change things you are not normally allowed to do as the normal user. The root user in Unix/Linux is the admin account. So for example you could install a firewall which you can't do as a normal user.

But there's things you can't do if the tablet/phone is rooted. For example many online banking apps will not let you run the app if the device has root access.

For a release like Cyanogenmod, turning on/off root access is easy though.

I'm not sure what you'd get if you rooted a Kindle tablet though. They have restricted what you can do a lot more than a more generic Android install does.
 Tablet. - Zero
Wouldn't consider a Fire, the base OS has been too mucked about with (no google play store access for example) and too many people have bricked them trying to install a stock android rom.
 Tablet. - rtj70
I only got a Nook HD (cheap) because I knew there was a stock Android ROM from Cyanogenmod for it. I installed it as soon as I got home with it.

Another reason I'd not want the Kindle tablets is no external memory card support. Too reliant on the web and Amazon services for things like watching video etc.
 Tablet. - No FM2R
I tried Cyanogenmod, amongst others, on my S4.

I didn't really notice that anything was faster or better, and things like the camera were considerably less functional.

I know you don't like the Samsung UI, but I didn't find any other advantages. So I went back to stock.

Did I miss something?
 Tablet. - rtj70
When I had a Samsung Android phone, I just replaced the launcher and a few apps with ones I found okay. I didn't feel the need to run an alternative ROM like Cyanogenmod. As you say, things that are close to the hardware (like a camera app) won't benefit from the manufacturer knowing how best to deal with it.

Even on a Google Play Edition of a Samsung or HTC phone, the camera app is not as good as you'd get on the tweaked versions of Android deployed by Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Oct 14 at 15:32
 Tablet. - No FM2R
Which launcher did you use?
 Tablet. - rtj70
I tried a few - and I last had a Samsung phone in 2012 so things will have moved on a lot. You can have multiple launchers installed at the same time of course. One was the ADWLauncher EX.

The biggest issue with the Touchwiz UI for me was applications back then appeared in the app drawer in the order they were installed. There was no option to sort and you could not rearrange them. That was fixed in later versions of Touchwiz.

I much prefer the HTC SenseUI though. A lot closer to stock Android.
 Tablet. - No FM2R
Yes, I always liked HTC Sense.
 Tablet. - rtj70
Sense UI 5 was nice. Version 6 is better still. With the better build quality of the actual phones I hope HTC are around when I consider my next phone. But there's no guaranteeing that.
 Tablet. - Roger.
Has anyone opinions on Android web browsers?
I have Chrome, Firefox and Maxthon. (I also have Maxthon Cloud browser on my laptop).
The latter seems to work pretty well.
I've tried to install Dolphin, but it would not work.
 Tablet. - Zero
>> Has anyone opinions on Android web browsers?
>> I have Chrome, Firefox and Maxthon. (I also have Maxthon Cloud browser on my laptop).
>> The latter seems to work pretty well.
>> I've tried to install Dolphin, but it would not work.

On a tablet you don't have much room to muck around, there is no need to install multiple browsers. The standard browser that comes with the OS (it is by google after all) is fine.
 Tablet. - rtj70
I use Chrome on my phone/tablet. But the stock Android browser is fine too. Chrome won't support a Flash plugin but the other browser does. Not much needs Flash on the phone mind.
 Tablet. - Roger.
I found, today, that all sound from the headphones had ceased!
No amount of "normal" fiddling would sort it, so I did a factory re-set.
There was a big update to the OS which had to be installed afore I could get to the desktop (is that what they call it on a tablet?), but lo and behold - or behear :-) - I can now get just about acceptable sound on the headphones, using the built in video player and no other volume enhancing apps.
Just ordered 32 GB micro SD card from Amazon, via Prime, should be here tomorrow so I'll load it with assorted videos to watch while we are away in sunny Suffolk grandkid sitting for half term.
 Tablet. - Stuartli
>>The standard browser that comes with the OS (it is by Google after all) is fine.>>

Fully concur in the case of my HTC phone. However, on my Nexus 10 tablet, I use Firefox, as I'm very familiar with it (in Waterfox guise) on a desktop. But I would still be very happy with the Android version.
 Tablet. - Pat
Oh my goodness Roger, I shall never pluck up the courage to turn mine on if you keep posting problems with yours....

Pat
 Tablet. - Skip
I bought a Hudle2 yesterday using my Clubcard vouchers. Its on charge at the moment then I will have a play with it. I do have a Blackberry playbook, but have only used it a few times as it is very "clunky" to use so am hoping that this one will be better !
 Tablet. - Roger.
Referring to Android generally - there seems to have been a backward step in KitKat, (4.4.2) the latest O.S.update.
For some silly reason - but attributed to "security" by Google - it is now not possible to write from the tablet to an SD card used as additional storage.
This is so damned annoying as it means I not only cannot add "stuff" directly to the SD card from the tablet, nor can I delete a video from it, once viewed, unless I un-mount it and use my laptop for the purpose.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 16:39
 Tablet. - Zero
can on my 4.2.2. Just deleted a video from the sd card to test it.

Sure you are pointing at the /mnt/extsd?

And why take the card out? you plug USB cable into the device.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 17:28
 Tablet. - rtj70
>> can on my 4.2.2. Just deleted a video from the sd card to test it.

Roger said Android 4.4.2. I've not got that on anything with an SD card slot to test. My HTC One is running 4.4.3 can access USB mounted OTG cards and use them. Both SD Cards in a reader and USB drives. Not quite the same thing I know.
 Tablet. - Zero
>> >> can on my 4.2.2. Just deleted a video from the sd card to test
>> it.
>>
>> Roger said Android 4.4.2.

It was a typo I meant 4.4.2
 Tablet. - Stuartli
>>Referring to Android generally - there seems to have been a backward step in KitKat, (4.4.2) the latest O.S.update.>>

The latest Android OS is 4.4.4, although relating more to tablets than mobile phones, which moved up to 4.4.3 - Android 5 (Lollipop) is due out tomorrow (Monday) on new Nexus devices and for others such as my Nexus 10 very shortly. HTC promise an Android 5 update within three months.

My HTC One X, annoyingly after having had a Wildfire S, had no SD card facility, although my replacement One M8 does have a microSD slot. There are no problems moving apps between the two storage mediums.

This link may prove of interest:

www.android.com/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 19:34
 Tablet. - Stuartli
...and www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/
 Tablet. - Roger.
Mine is definitely 4.4.2 and I cannot delete from the SD card directly from hudl. when I connect with an USB I can see the files on the tablet - If I click on the SD card to open it it stops a process in Android - android.process.media - from working and also stops Windows explorer from showing the contents of the SD card. (Windows Explorer itself has stopped a couple of times, too!)
It seems from looking on various forums this problem of not writing to and SD card is causing much hair -tearing!
 Tablet. - Zero
Are you trying to access extsd?
 Tablet. - Roger.
I'm using a file manager which shows the various storage locations - usbcard1, sdcard1, sdcard0 & emulated.
sdcard1 is the external card and shows the videos etc. I have loaded to the micro SD card directly from my laptop.
It is possible to select a file and tap the delete icon, but the action fails every time:- "cannot delete this file"
This is the same result with two different file manager apps.
 Tablet. - rtj70
I still for the non technical, if you want to do something technical on an Android.... should have got an iPhone/iPad :-)

Of course this means some of what you wanted to do was never possible (internal SD cards) but some things are simpler.
 Tablet. - rtj70
>> I still for the non technical

I meant I still THINK... But for those technical minded, the Apple way is not always the preferred and can annoy.
 Tablet. - CGNorwich
"it is now not possible to write from the tablet to an SD card used as additional storage."

I have a phone running 4.4.2 and am a bit mystified by what your are trying to do. If you are using "Play Movies" or "Play Music' are you sure that the App settings Storage Location is set to SD card External, so that it will write to the card and not the internal memory?

Tablet. - No FM2R
I think the issue is this;

Since the update an application may only read and write from a folder that it owns, and that folder is protected against anything else writing to it.

So if, for example, you were using Bookreader X to read books in directory xx, and you used to copy books directly to and from that folder to avoid the cumbersome Bookreader X loading process.

Ditto media, documents etc. etc. and anything else where you previously maintained the folders/directories without using the application itself to do so.

You can no longer do that. (Well, you can, but its difficult and there's loops).
 Tablet. - Zero

>> You can no longer do that. (Well, you can, but its difficult and there's loops).

I think that only applies if you use the in built file structure. I make folders on the external sd card and read / access stuff from there. IE Books are not in the Books folder in the main file system, but on the mounted sd card.

Edit - probably because the folders on the sd card were created on the mac with the tablet attached by USB cable and have full R/W privileges
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Nov 14 at 10:13
 Tablet. - Pat
Still haven't switched mine on....best charge it up again, I think.

Pat
I get none of these issues with my i-Buprofen.
 Tablet. - Pat
That must be my problem R'OR, I'm not allowed to take that:)

There has been four weeks of glorious autumnal days since I bought it and spending time in the greenhouse and garden will always win hands down for me.

There will be plenty of long cold dark winter days to get to grips with Windows 8.

Pat
 Tablet. - rtj70
>> There will be plenty of long cold dark winter days to get to grips with Windows 8.

Not if you find when you turn it on it does not actually work and you can't take it back because you've had it too long. I'd at least power it up and check it works. Leave mastering it until later.

By the time you turn it on, Windows 10 will be out!
 Tablet. - VxFan
>> There will be plenty of long cold dark winter days to get to grips with Windows 8.

I took to it like a duck to water (well Windows 8.1). Didn't even need to install Classic Shell ( www.classicshell.net ) to make it look like earlier versions on Windows.
 Tablet. - rtj70
Microsoft still made poor user interface decisions with Windows 8. And they know it because the Metro interface for PCs is replaced in Windows 10. No separate start screen etc.
 Tablet. - Crankcase
Windows 8 went off retail sale on 31st October, so you can't buy it (or 7) anymore anyway. 8.1 or nothing.

Unless you poke about for old stock of course.
 Tablet. - RattleandSmoke
Still plenty of stocks of Windows 7 OEM for sale, also Windows 7 Professional OEM has not been discontinued, only the home version.
 Tablet. - VxFan
>> Windows 8 went off retail sale on 31st October, so you can't buy it (or 7) anymore anyway. 8.1 or nothing.

Report here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29880144
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Nov 14 at 12:46
 Tablet. - RattleandSmoke
Windows 7 Professional is still officially sold.

If they did stop selling professional Microsoft would commit commercial suicide as businesses are just not buying into Windows 8.1 and rightly so.

I am also going to continue offering Windows 7 on systems I sell until I physically cannot get hold of any stock.

www.ebuyer.com/259863-windows-7-home-premium-w-sp1-64bit-low-cost-packaging-gfc-02733

In future though it looks like I will supplying Windows 7 Professional. I always ask customers a choice of operating system and most want to go with Windows 7.

I run Windows 8.1 on my main workshop system and it is fine, but people use me to supply computers as they don't want any hassle, and Windows 7 takes a lot of hassle out of learning a new system.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 4 Nov 14 at 13:24
I've got Win 7 on the desktop I'm using now and 8.1 on the laptop. I have no preference except 8.1 is a bit faster.
 Tablet. - Zero
I have a laptop with 8.1, a netbook with OSX, a desktop with Win7, a Tablet with Android, and a Phone with IOS

None of it is about the look and feel these days. They are all merely appliances, like the microwave.
 Tablet. - CGNorwich
Is that good or bad?
 Tablet. - Zero
Its good.
Very good. You don't have to delve under the bonnet every week to keep the thing running properly, unlike a decade ago.
 Tablet. - CGNorwich
Not being particularly mechanical or technical I have always enjoyed cars and computers for what they can do for me rather than as objects in their own right. Not to say some basic understanding of how things work is not desirable to get the most out of both.
 Tablet. - BobbyG
Since its a few weeks down the line now, can the Hudl2 users give us a further update?

I was impressed with the original Hudl, aprt from its size, but saw the bigger Hudl2 and it looks ideal for a boy who spends a lot of time watching youtube clips on an ipod touch!

£129 minus £15 clubcard vouchers = £100 for this looks a right good bargain?
 Tablet. - Pat
Well, I finally switched it on yesterday and I'm confused.

I have PC's and laptops on Windows 7 and a S3 phone but it seems to be a cross between the two.

Should I be setting it up thinking phone or PC?

And why can't I close a window?

And why do I get a split screen with new 'tabs' and can't close them?

And is it OK to switch it of with the off button and not n on screen thingy like normal PC's

Pat
 Tablet. - Pat
Well, no answers so I switched it off again and that was 3 weeks ago.

I'm away on Monday and Tuesday and was hoping to leave the laptop at home but not so it seems.

Pat
 Tablet. - rtj70
Probably no answers because few (if any) on here have a Windows 8 tablet. Although it's the same OS for desktops, laptops and Intel based tablets.

Microsoft decided to make Windows 8 a mixture of both desktop and tablet/smartphone type interface. And before Windows 8.1, really made it feel like you needed touch.

Probably the thing that is confusing most is the two interfaces - the old Windows desktop and the new 'modern' UI more like a tablet interface. So a desktop app runs on one, modern apps run in the other.

They've fixed it in the upcoming Windows 10. Well they make a desktop/laptop behave like a desktop/laptop and a tablet like a tablet with touch. The new style modern apps will run in a wind on the desktop.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 6 Dec 14 at 12:04
Latest Forum Posts