Computer Related > Powerline Adapters Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 49

Powerline Adapters - Duncan
I have my PC upstairs and I would like to watch BBC iplayer programmes on the big telly downstairs.

Would a pair of Powerline adapters do the trick, or is it more complicated than that? I understand the adapters need a lead connecting them to - what? The TV downstairs and the router upstairs?

Would someone with my level of knowledge and competence manage to connect it up?
 Powerline Adapters - Zero
Does the big telly downstairs have an ethernet internet connection?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 10:03
 Powerline Adapters - Crankcase
Cat, skin, many ways.

Do you have wifi in the house? Does your tv have a spare HDMI socket on the back? If no to either, stop reading.

Otherwise consider a Chromecast. £30, plug it into tv. On PC, run Chrome as your browser with the Chromecast extension enabled. Launch iPlayer on PC, watch it on tv. No wires.

Powerline Adapters - Pat
Chromecast only £18 at Curry's and Tesco at the moment and works well for us.

Pat
 Powerline Adapters - rtj70
You can also use a smart phone or tablet to 'cast' iPlayer to the Chromecast device. A link is sent to the device so it does the actual streaming from the BBC iPlayer site.

If Duncan's TV does have an Ethernet connection and has a BBC iPlayer app on it, then plug one powerline adapter into your router with an Ethernet cable. Then plug the other one into the TV also using an Ethernet cable. There should be two Ethernet cables with the two powerline adapters. If you don't have a smart TV but do have a Sky+ HD box, then that supports BBC iPlayer too and that could be used instead.
The TV is a Panasonic TX-37LZD70, which I think given Panasonic's model numbering system means that it is a 2010 model.

On the back just above the SCART sockets is a socket marked PC which has three rows of pins. There are two HDMI sockets - unused.

I have a linksys wireless router which serves - apart from the PC which is hard wired - a laptop and an iPad.

Thank you for your help.

>> Thank you for your help.

No ethernet then, power line adaptors no use, Chromcast is your only option.

>> No ethernet then, power line adaptors no use, Chromcast is your only option.

Well, there are the Roku/AppleTV/Slingbox/Airplay/FireTV/Raspberry Pi......and on for a million years options.

But yes, I'd have thought Chromecast would be the simplest and cheapest though, especially as I've learned from this thread it's now under £20.
 Powerline Adapters - Focusless
>> But yes, I'd have thought Chromecast would be the simplest and cheapest though, especially as
>> I've learned from this thread it's now under £20.

We have a NowTV box which is £10; less flexible than Chromecast (I believe) but does have iPlayer and ITV/C4/C5 catch-up apps.

www.nowtv.com/box

>> We have a NowTV box which is £10; less flexible than Chromecast (I believe) but
>> does have iPlayer and ITV/C4/C5 catch-up apps.

Interesting. Here is a tedious aside for the terminally bored.

If you use the Now TV iplayer to access the BBC iPlayer, then you are using an app written for it. If you use a Chromecast, you are using the web version of iPlayer to drive it which makes the Chromecast fetch the stream the PC would have seen.

So what? Well, for the still awake, there are in fact differences in rights negotiations between the PC, a tablet, a mobile or an app version of the iPlayer.

This means, as folk may have discovered, you get some anomalies. Example - we wanted to see one of the episodes of Art of China last week. On the Virgin TV box, using Virgin Catch Up, the episode expired that day. On the Apple TV with a third party iPlayer app, it expired a day later. On the PS3 it had already expired and on the PC, it still had six days to run. More - on the iPad iPlayer app it expired that day, but use the same iPad to browse to the iPlayer website and it had six days to run again.

It's not the first time I've seen oddities like that. I've had the BBC Radio app on the iPad refuse point blank to accept a programme even exists, but launch Safari on the same iPad at the same time and web to it and it's fully playable.

It's a Bit of a Mess.
>> We have a NowTV box which is £10

BTW resolution is 'only' 720p, although that looks fine on our 37" 1080p screen (same size/res as Duncan's).
 Powerline Adapters - VxFan
>> On the back just above the SCART sockets is a socket marked PC which has three rows of pins.

That's a VGA socket so you can connect a PC up to the TV and use it as a monitor.

Your laptop should also have the same VGA connector, so you only need a VGA lead to connect the laptop to the TV with. Some laptops also have a HDMI socket. You could use that to connect to the TV with.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 10:25
The simplest solution would be to go for a Chromecast or similar device connected to HDMI. Providing he has a decent WiFi signal where the TV is located. And he can control it from the iPad to laptop.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 10:53
Of course if he has an iPad and does't mind spending more, the AppleTV lets you stream almost anything from an iPad using Airplay.
>> The simplest solution would be to go for a Chromecast or similar device connected to
>> HDMI.

But as he already has a laptop, then why purchase further devices when it's not necessary? All he needs is a cheapy Poundland VGA or HDMI lead. (also available from other discount stores).
Thank you for all those responses.

All I want to do is to watch Iplayer or other catch up type services on my TV in the drawing room. I can already watch on my PC, laptop, or iPad if I wish, but they have smaller screens and are somewhat less comfortable.

The Chromecast thing seems to have a USB connection, so far as I can see my main TV doesn't have a USB socket. Is that all there is to it? You plug it in and away you go?

Is there a subscription payable for Chromecast? Some google results suggest that there is. I am not willing to do that.
 Powerline Adapters - Stuartli
Does your TV have a wired (Ethernet) or wireless connection? You could use that to stream in the BBC iPlayer as I can using either Powerline adaptors or a Blu-Way player.

I also have a Now TV Roku box and the Entertainment pass. For £4.99 a month it's stupidly ridiculous value for money!! Sky and various Catch Up services, plus 12 Sky channels, including Atlantic, worth the £5 alone.

I've also added the Plex Media Player to my desktop and the app for the Roku box, which further extends the Now Box's versatility. See:

www.strayed.co.uk/2013/07/29/how-to-add-plex-to-a-now-tv-box/

for details.

Seems complicated at first, but quite easy in the end!

You can, of course, download the various catch up apps to a desktop, laptop, tablet or Smartphone, but the Now TV box is a great way to get a vast selection of entertainment (Movies and Sport can also be added at various charges).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:25
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
You do need a USB socket and yes, all we did was plug it in and downloaded Chrome on the laptop.
There is no subscription and no further charge.

Pat
Chromecast's USB is just for power - use the power supply if your TV doesn't have a socket.
support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998341?hl=en-GB

(You still need your laptop/iPad to be running iPlayer (or whatever) to send the pictures to the Chromecast for display on the TV, unlike the NowTV box where the app runs on the box itself.)
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:26
>> (You still need your laptop/iPad to be running iPlayer (or whatever) to send the pictures
>> to the Chromecast for display on the TV...

Sorry, not quite true -
iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_bbc_iplayer/chromecast
The USB on the Chromecast is just to provide power to it. If your TV has a USB socket you plug it in there. If it doesn't then the device comes with a little mains adapter to use instead.

The business end plugs into the HDMI on your TV.

There is no subcription.

As you have other kit, such as an iPad, you can of course also cast from that if you wish to the TV as well or instead of a laptop or desktop pc.

Or, as VX says, you could run a clunky old cable across the floor from the laptop to the tv, which then just shows (in probably naff-o-vision) what you see on your laptop directly on the TV.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:29
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
Chromecast also 'mirrors' the screen on the laptop to the TV.

Pat

Final power bits - not sure if at the new lower price it still comes with the USB mains adapter for those with no USB sockets on the tv.

If not, they are a few pounds only.
>> Final power bits - not sure if at the new lower price it still comes
>> with the USB mains adapter for those with no USB sockets on the tv.

Not clear on PCWorld/Currys websites, although Google's 'what's in the box' says it does, so you'd hope so.

BTW note lower prices 'must end Thursday'.

www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networking/networking/media-streamers/google-chromecast-22021414-pdt.html
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 13:38
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
They do, we bought ours at the weekend at £18 from Tesco...with clubcard points!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 15:04
>> They do, we bought ours at the weekend at £18 from Tesco...with clubcard points!

Tesco's £18 offer ended on 26/0814
See:

www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2338217/uk-broadcasters-shun-google-chromecast

Mentions Blinkbox in this link:

www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2e9svv/chromecast_price_drop_to_18_in_uk/

However, if you are a Tesco ClubCard holder, you can get it free on its Clubcard site:

www.clubcardtv.com/
>> Or, as VX says, you could run a clunky old cable across the floor from the laptop to the tv, which then just shows (in probably naff-o-vision) what you see on your laptop directly on the TV.

The picture on my TV is fine when linked up to the laptop. I've tried both a VGA lead and HDMI lead (no, not at the same time!). But I think the HDMI output from my laptop isn't actually HDMI.
>> The picture on my TV is fine when linked up to the laptop. I've tried both a VGA lead and HDMI
>> lead (no, not at the same time!). But I think the HDMI output from my laptop isn't actually HDMI.

The problem with the VGA connection to Duncan's TV is it won't let him use the 1280x720 resolution that the TV has as a native resolution. It will be 1024x768 so not widescreen. Well that's what happens if I plug in my laptop to my older (2009) Panasonic TV. HDMI works fine and of course will carry the sound too.
I'm wondering if Chromecast is going to be a bit complicated for Duncan. No offence intended.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Aug 14 at 17:22
>> I'm wondering if Chromecast is going to be a bit complicated for Duncan. No offence
>> intended.
>>

None taken.

I feel that I know less now than when I posed the original question! No offence intended!

I/we can watch iplayer on the PC or the iPad at the moment. My question was intended to find out if we could, fairly simply, watch iplayer in our main TV in the sitting room.
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
Duncan, go and buy one...it's only £18, not a fortune.

Come home, plug it in and hey presto, it works.

It really is that simple.

Even a woman can do it:)

Pat
She's right.
Well I still reckon a £10 NowTV box would be simpler, as it's stand-alone.
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
It wouldn't do what we wanted it to do though.

The idea is to get MotoGP directly from their website and mirror it with Chromecast to the TV.

Then ditch BT Broadband and phone and go back to Tiscali.

BT is total rubbish.

Pat
 Powerline Adapters - sherlock47
Does Chromecast actually 'mirror' what is showing on the controlling device? ie will it work using a VPN that has been set up on the controlling device? Allowing IPlayer access from abroad?
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
It's in a beta version at the moment but we tried it at the weekend and it mirrored perfectly anything on the laptop using Chrome as the web browser.

I can't help with the more technical details though.....

Pat
>> Does Chromecast actually 'mirror' what is showing on the controlling device?

As posted yesterday it doesn't mirror for iPlayer:
iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_bbc_iplayer/chromecast

EDIT: unless there's a way of overriding the default method?
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 28 Aug 14 at 07:39
 Powerline Adapters - sherlock47
F'less

thankyou for repeating that link, - I had not picked it up in the original context.

It does not look as though it can do what I wish :(

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 28 Aug 14 at 08:18
>>Then ditch BT Broadband and phone and go back to Tiscali.>>

Tiscali hasn't existed for quite a number of years - it was taken over by Carphone Warehouse (TalkTalk) some years ago.
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
That may be Stuart, but my bills came from Tiscali as late as January 2014:)

Pat
>> That may be Stuart, but my bills came from Tiscali as late as January 2014:)

But if you switched to BT since January 2014, TalkTalk won't set you up on a Tiscali contract will they. It will be TalkTalk surely?
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
I'd been with Tiscali for over 10 years and they phoned to ask why I was leaving.

I explained we needed to get BT Sport for the MotoGP and they asked me to call them if I wanted to return to them, and they would call me if they could give me BTSport in the future.

On past dealings with Tiscali Customer Service, I fully expect there will be a deal to be had with them.

Pat
 Powerline Adapters - Fursty Ferret
I've found Powerline adapters a bit hit-and-miss. At my last house they worked, but would occasionally suffer from very poor throughput (possibly associated with other electrical devices, ie the fridge). At the current place, the speed is terrible and the interference knocks out the fibre broadband.

This, I suspect, is caused because my neighbour uses them and they're not happy co-locating. The BT ones have the best reputation, suggest you buy a pair from PC World and test thoroughly, returning for a refund if any problems.
>> I've found Powerline adapters a bit hit-and-miss. At my last house they worked, but would
>> occasionally suffer from very poor throughput (possibly associated with other electrical devices, ie the fridge).
>> At the current place, the speed is terrible and the interference knocks out the fibre
>> broadband.

For best reliability and full throughput they need to be on the same ring, and plugged into sockets on the wall, not extensions.
>> That may be Stuart, but my bills came from Tiscali as late as January 2014:)>>

TalkTalk has taken over a number of ISPs over the years and the cause of the complaints it used to received about its customer services - the main problem was sorting out the difficulties left by takeovers such as those of AOL and Tiscali (itself a regular source of complaints over the years)

I've been with TalkTalk since August 2006 and have had only the odd minor problem with the ISP during that time, something which also applies to family and friends who took up my recommendation to join it. I'd been with WorldOnline and Tiscali previous to then.

See:

www.uswitch.com/broadband/providers/tiscali/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 11:01
 Powerline Adapters - Pat
I'm aware of their problems, and the bad reputation some would say they have.

However, I can only speak from experience and I have dealt with their customer services department once during the previous 10 years, when they solved my problem admirably.

That's the best recommendation I can have!

I understand that BT supply the broadband to all the other ISP's but how can their own broadband be so utterly rubbish?

I feel they must cap it in some way to make it so clonky and slow.

Pat
>> I understand that BT supply the broadband to all the other ISP's but how can their own
>> broadband be so utterly rubbish?

No they do not - you understand incorrectly.

With Local Loop Unbundling, the likes of TalkTalk, Sky, etc have their own equipment in BT exchanges for ADSL based broadband. There will be some exchanges where other Internet service providers buy a BT service. BT Infinity (VDSL based) on the other hand is resold by other companies because the phone line connects to the BT broadband service in street level cabinets - there is no room to put someone else's broadband equipment in a street cabinet.

I have only ever had BT's fibre to the cabinet broadband and it's been excellent. We had Virgin cable broadband before this at the previous house.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 29 Aug 14 at 14:05
 Iplayer - Zero
Looks like I shall have to invest in a Chromecast. BBC has just pulled the plug on Iplayer support for my Sony BD-370 blue ray player. Its only 4 years old, thats pretty annoying.

Still got Iplayer support on the Humax, tho Nicole preferred the interface on the Sony.
 Iplayer - Focusless
Just discovered one less reason for getting a Chromecast in addition to our NowTV box - the latter now has a Youtube app. Not before time...
Latest Forum Posts