Computer Related > Salvaging a laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 13

Salvaging a laptop - BobbyG
My son has a 2 year old Lenovo laptop which he has not looked after.
After 3 months he dropped a remote on the top which broke the screen so had to use Christmas money to replace it.
Then one hinge totally broke away and now the other one has as well. Power socket is pushed into the casing as well.

So to summarise, the casing is goosed, but the actual computer itself works fine - its a Windows 7.

Is there anything I can do? I assume I cannot simply remove hard drive etc from this and plug it into an older laptop and switch it on and everything would be hunky dory?

I am tempted just to rip the remainder of the casing from it and leave him with it all bare in a cardboard box, but working! However I am sure that might give some issues re heat generation and electric shocks!

And previous searches for a Lenovo case on its own proved fruitless!
 Salvaging a laptop - Zero
you can plug in an external keyboard, mouse and monitor, permanently glue the power lead in, and with a few settings to change make it work as a desktop machine.
 Salvaging a laptop - BobbyG
That sounds like a nice wee challenge if all else fails!!
 Salvaging a laptop - Kevin
>And previous searches for a Lenovo case on its own proved fruitless!

Lenovo are pretty good with spare and replacement parts but the complete case will probably consist of multiple parts.

Have you checked the parts catalogues?

support.lenovo.com/en_GB/product-and-parts/partsDBLookup.page
 Salvaging a laptop - Roger.
My wife's Lenovo had a severe problem with the hinges for the screen. They would not close fully and seemed to be jamming.. In addition the top half of the body casing started separating from the lower part.
It was about three years old and HAD been looked after!
We junked it & bought a Vaio for her. I'm not convinced it's any more robust, though.
Fraid to say that Since the departure from IBM, Lenovo have taken a constant downward curve in quality. I no longer recommend them above any others, All laptops are of equal (poor and getting poorer) quality.

Except Apple. And boy do you pay for it.
>Fraid to say that Since the departure from IBM, Lenovo have taken a constant downward curve in quality.

I'll report that to the marketing folks in November.
When you pick up the new company uniform and little red book?
> When you pick up the new company uniform and little red book?

Yup.
 Salvaging a laptop - Stuartli
Surprised about Lenovo comments. I have a B560 which has proved very robust and reliable over the past two and a half years, including plenty of travelling use, and friends and family who've bought one on recommendation are also very happy.
 Salvaging a laptop - RichardW
Get him one of these: www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-computers.asp
 Salvaging a laptop - Falkirk Bairn
>> Get him one of these: www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop->>computers.asp
>>

"Get him one of these"

Make him buy his own!!!! is more like it.

He will value it more.
 Salvaging a laptop - neiltoo
>> Fraid to say that Since the departure from IBM, Lenovo have taken a constant downward
>> curve in quality. I no longer recommend them above any others, All laptops are of
>> equal (poor and getting poorer) quality.

Hi Z

I took your advice a couple of years ago, and we bought a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 (I think that's the number)

It's been faultless so far and I was thinking of getting a second one for Mrs too.

Now I'm not so sure.

What are you currently recommending?
We don't take the laptops out much, so just really portable inside the house for the most part.

TIA

8o)
Sorry, Only just saw this. Go with anything that takes your fancy, but I have a leaning towards Toshiba, tho they have limited models to choose from.

All I can say is avoid Dell and Sony.
Latest Forum Posts