Computer Related > Preferred DVD ripping software Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 7

Preferred DVD ripping software - Tooslow
What would you recommend for ripping DVDs to disk? I could Google but I'd prefer not to hit on something with "side effects"! Playback with WMP or VLC?

Thanks,
JH
 Preferred DVD ripping software - FocalPoint
I have used Ashampoo free software a lot for burning CDs - it's user-friendly and reliable. You can download it from

tinyurl.com/495od9

I believe it will burn DVDs, but I've no experience of this.
 Preferred DVD ripping software - rtj70
Tooslow, do you intend keeping a copy of the DVD including all the VOB files or are you going to (a) burn to blank disks or (b) convert to DiVX/MP4?

What you use will depend on the answers above. DVD Decrypter will rip most DVDs and you're left with the complete DVD. You might want to shrink it to DVD-R size then or convert. If converting then make sure you have a ripper that does not downsize.

On the Mac I have some software (Cannot remember what I used now) that lets me read copy protected DVDs. I then use HandBrake or Turbo.264HD to convert to MP4. I've now converted lots of my DVDs to MP4 as the first stage of having access to all on the TV. And they only take about 300Gb of space so far ;-)
Thanks both. I have Ashampoo. I have a music video DVD, which I believe is unprotected (not absolutely sure). It's part of the album, with CDs containing music. I've copied the CDs to the pc, I'd like to get the video up there too. Ashampoo won't do it so maybe it is protected after all.

I want to copy the DVD to disk and play it from there. I've not done this before (obviously!) and I'm not familiar with the formats and process at all I'm afraid.

Thanks,
JH
If you can still get hold of it, DVD Decrypter will work. You might want to reduce it in size and make it an MP4 afterwards using HandBrake.

Both are free.
rtj, thanks, I'll give it a go.

JH
rjt, it's worked! Thanks! It's a bit of a clart on and I had to experiment a bit, but I now have a m4v file playing in WMP. Just what I was trying to do. Thanks.

JH
I assumed you'd want to convert to MP4 as well because you mentioned ripping and not also copying.

In HandBrake, you can either use FFMPEG or H.264... assuming you have the codecs installed. FFMPEG is a lot quicker and for most things a single pass is probably good enough. I have copied my DVDs to a NAS in MP4 format mostly using this. I also did some using a hardware H.264 device and a few using the graphic card in the PC using Badaboom.
Latest Forum Posts