Computer Related > Laptop won't send emails Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 37

Laptop won't send emails - Pat
This problem has bugged me on and off for sometime now both on the vodafone dongle and again today on wifi.

I run XP and OE on the laptop and for some reason I get spells when it recieves emails but I get error messages when I try to send them.

>>Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F<<

It seems to correct itself after some weeks but I'd like to get it working as that is the prime reason for bringing it on holiday.

Any ideas please?

Pat

header typo corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 17:02
 Laptop won'r send emails - Iffy
Pat,

Googling the error message number - 0x800CCC0F - produces a few answers that I don't understand.

Have you tried Hotmail, Googlemail or Yahoomail?

Hotmail has always worked for me with various connections, including the Vodafone dongle.

Not a solution to your problem, but it would get you sending again.

Laptop won'r send emails - Pat
I googled and got those same answers earlier this morning and they are so confusing iffy.

I've just gone directly into my Tiscali email account and I can send from there so it's a problem I can get around now if I need to.

I have to admit though, it bugs me as to why it should happen.

Pat
 Laptop won'r send emails - smokie
I'd say there's a chance it isn't connecting to the sending server before the timeout kicks in, especially if you are working on a dongle which might not always connect at optimal speed.

You could try increasing this as follows:

Go tot Tools/Accounts.
Click the Mail tab.
Click Properties against your POP3 account, then Advanced
Increase the server timeout setting - initially by a dramatic amount to see if it cures the problem, if it does then decrease it back to no less than it is currently set to.

You may find that it is very slow to work with when it is set high, but just for the sake of diagnosing it's useful - and if it makes no difference just put it back to where it is. It's an easy enough test...
I'm on wi fi broadband smokie.

Pat
Ahhh...it was this which misled me "This problem has bugged me on and off for sometime now both on the vodafone dongle... " :-)
 Laptop won'r send emails - teabelly
Tiscali isn't wonderful in the reliability department. Neither is outlook.

I'd switch to thunderbird. I used to use OE in the beginning and it was hopeless.

It could be its esoteric way of telling you that the smtp server is set incorrectly. If you're connecting via vodafone you can't use tiscali's smtp as it will be limited to people directly connected i'd imagine. There may be an option to set a username/password to go with that connection that would authenticate you. If OE is getting itself in a knot of over which connection ie whether it is the dongle or normal wifi then that would explain the error I think.

Perhaps a call to tiscali support and ask them how to set up OE so it will cope with you sending email over both vodafone and tiscali without bother. You may find you have to select a different smtp server manually depending on whether you're on wifi or dongle.
 Laptop won'r send emails - Manatee
Don't know much about OE, haven't used it for years, but Thunderbird 3 is very good.

You could set up a Gmail account with T'bird and use smtp.gmail.com as your outgoing mail server (for all accounts, including your Tiscali one).
 Laptop won'r send emails - RattleandSmoke
I may be missing something here but if you're using a vodaphone dongle to try and send from Tiscali's SMTP servers it won't let you. You need to be using your Tiscali connection or simply change the SMTP server you're using.

If it did work before then it probably shouldn't have :). Its actually a common job I have to sort out. People go on holiday and use their dongle and then wonder why they suddenly cannot send emails but can recieve them.

Gmail will be the simplist solution as its free but just be ware when you send mails from it will overwrite the incoming Tiscali address to your google email address well at least it always used to.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 11:56
...and I have to agree with Rattle, NTL used to expect (and only accept) outgoing connections when you are on their network. I went through hoops to get a phone working with an NTL account, including using a Google SMTP server but faking the sent address, but I thought they had moved on from there now. And if it was working, why has it stopped?
The last time I used Google mail as an SMTP it didn't matter what email address I put in the SMTP server just replaced that part of the header with the google email address.

I would also suggest to any business user that they buy a mail box which comes complete with POP3 and SMTP or even IMAP apart from the domain name which I have for my website it only costs me £10 a year for the mailbox. It looks professional e.g anything@yourdomain.co.uk and you're not tied to any ISP. It will work perfectly with any phone too.

I've actually setup a few mailboxes for personal customers too to avoid problems like Pat is suffering from.
 Laptop won'r send emails - Zero
three things.

1/ As rattle says you cant access the tiscali pop or smtp server outside of being logged into a physical tiscali network.

2/ Emails with large attachments (above about 7gb) take too long to transfer and the connection times out

3/ Try using the tiscali web site to get and send your mail www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/
I'm using wi fi broadband Rattle, not the dongle!
But the same problem has happened in the past with the dongle and at home using the lappy on wifi.

I just managed to send one email by going to my mailbox at Tiscali directly so I assume it's something to do with IE still thinking I'm using the dongle.
I've checked the settings and they are all as they should be.

Pat
If you're using the WIFI then it won't be the dongle. I am confused now, what program is refusing to send the emails? Is it outlook? Tiscali web mail should work what ever you use and if thats not working its a problem at their end.

If outlook is still not working have you checked to make sure that authentication is ticked for the SMTP server?
 Laptop won'r send emails - Stuartli
Tiscali is, of course, now owned by TalkTalk (Carphone Warehouse). If the configuration of a modem/modem router is now the same as that for TalkTalk and AOL, then the MTU has to be set at 1432, otherwise you can have problems with web pages and e-mails.

I had the problem about two years ago right out of the blue (TalkTalk) and found the solution, after much Googling frustration, after coming across a then new TalkTalk Members' Forum. See:

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/55/68/

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/56/68/

Dropping the MTU to 1432 immediately cured it Windows Default is 1500).

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 15:20
 Laptop won'r send emails - Focusless
>> Dropping the MTU to 1432 immediately cured it Windows Default is 1500).

What about the router setting - should that be 1432 as well?
She is with tiscali, and they recommend 1458
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 16:56
>> She is with tiscali, and they recommend 1458

I was with Tiscali, which has become Talktalk - presumably it's better to go with the lower value to be on the safe side?

Either way, do you have to change your OS and router settings, or just one of them?
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 17:05
>> I was with Tiscali, which has become Talktalk - presumably it's better to go with
>> the lower value to be on the safe side?

Ditto here. Nothing has happened at the exchange tho, they will still be using the tiscali dslams (the broaddband kit at the exchange)

>> Either way, do you have to change your OS and router settings, or just one
>> of them?

Just the router. Changing netwrok things in windows is obsolete once you have a router.
>> >> I was with Tiscali, which has become Talktalk
>>
>> Ditto here. Nothing has happened at the exchange tho, they will still be using the
>> tiscali dslams (the broaddband kit at the exchange)

Got a letter yesterday saying that they will be 'upgrading' the equipment at the exchange and will be bringing me into line with Talktalk packages - currently on 2Mb unlimited for £10, speed limited by distance from the exchange. From next month it's going up to £15. Don't know yet whether the improvements will increase my speed or not.

>> >> Either way, do you have to change your OS and router settings, or just one
>> >> of them?
>>
>> Just the router. Changing network things in windows is obsolete once you have a router.

Great. SWMBO's Vista laptop seems to suffer from intermittent internet speed issues - the router MTU was set somewhere between 1500 and 1432, don't think it was the Tiscali value. See if 1432 improves things.

Thanks to Stuartli for mentioning this.
>> Got a letter yesterday saying that they will be 'upgrading' the equipment at the exchange
>> and will be bringing me into line with Talktalk packages - currently on 2Mb unlimited
>> for £10, speed limited by distance from the exchange. From next month it's going up
>> to £15. Don't know yet whether the improvements will increase my speed or not.

Blimey, thats an OLD tiscali package. You dont have the phone with them as well then? If they are upgrading the exchange, i would think about getting the phone and line rental from them as well.
>> >> currently on 2Mb unlimited for £10
>>
>> Blimey, thats an OLD tiscali package.

Well actually it said 0.5Mb on our Tiscali bills, which is what we started with back in the dim and distant past. Some time later they said they would upgrade it to 2Mb, and would be in touch later to confirm it was ok and (presumably) increase the price. The speed increased, but they never got in touch...

>> You dont have the phone with them as well then?

Nah - had a bad experience switching from BT to Post Office a few years ago, ending up back with BT, and SWMBO has been reluctant to leave them since then (we use 18185 so don't actually pay that much).

>> If they are upgrading the exchange, i would think about getting the phone and
>> line rental from them as well.

Seriously tempted by a 10Mb Virgin package as we're in their cable area, but hopefully we'll be moving in a month or 2 (although have been saying that since last year) so probably leave it as it is.

Because I partly work at home I claim broadband costs off my company (when I remember) so cost isn't really a factor.
As rightly pointed out by others, the MTU should be changed in the router's configuration.

If you download TCPOptimiser, you can also check out the RWIN figure and then do a Tweak Test at dslreports. If you have Vista its configuration is usually satisfactory already.

www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

www.dslreports.com/tweaks

which will advise you whether it's OK or suggest alternatives.
 Laptop won'r send emails - rtj70
>> From next month it's going up to £15. Don't know yet whether the improvements will increase my speed or not.

I'll get shot down if I said I could have got BT Infinity from £20/month then. For that download would be the same as I get (38Mbit/s) but upload only 2Mbit/s and capped at 20Gb download per month.
How many times in the last month have you managed to brag "I get 38Mbit/s"

Hmmm??? how many?????????

I warned you, gave you fair warning. There is going to be a nasty accident to the fibre cabinet in your road.

I'm obviously on a back hander from BT Openreach ;-) Just pointing out if BT Infinity is available you can get faster/better for similar money. Or Virgin Media does good speed too. Don't put up with crap speeds.

My cabinet is in a cul-de-sac so you'll have to make it convincing as an accident.

Back to Pat's question, did the MTU size change make a difference?
 Laptop won'r send emails - R.P.
Just remember what happened when a bus company annoyed him..........
Cul-de-sac near me but not on the same street thankfully. But thanks for the heads up PU :-)

Now I could have got 50Mbit/s from Virgin as the cabinet is nearer again. Go hit that as well Zero.

I am not trying to wind anyone up. BT are spending over £1.5bn to offer services over fibre to more and more all the time. There are cabinets all over the place here so I assume they're doing the same elsewhere. The new FTTC cabinets (I know that's two Cabinet references) are taller and have double asymmetrical doors. Like this:

www.objectbase.co.uk/basingstoke/chineham/fttc/BT%20FTTC%20DSLAM%20Mattock%20Way%20and%20Martins%20Wood.jpg
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 23:38
>> >> From next month it's going up to £15. Don't know yet whether the improvements
>> will increase my speed or not.
>>
>> I'll get shot down if I said I could have got BT Infinity from £20/month
>> then.

Not sure if you're suggesting that as an option for me, but anyway just checked and it's not available (yet) according to the website. They give my estimated BT Total Broadband connection speed as 1.5Mb.
I'd check periodically. But it is only BT and a few others using the BT Openreach service that will offer this.

My line speed for ADSL was said to be upto 6.5Mbit/s (due to distance to exchange) but because BT Infinity uses VDSL and the data is on fibre from the cabinet to the exchange, you get a lot better speeds.
Ok your cabinet is now full of expanded polyeurothayne foam (large builders pack)

8 hours at 80c and it should be cooked.
TalkTalk undertook fibre optic trials from last August to January in three areas (Muswell Hill, London and Whitchurch, Cardiff) using the BT circuits. Its website states:

"TalkTalk will be able to connect customers to the internet using this new infrastructure and provide up to 40Meg downstream and up to 2Meg upstream speeds.

"The performance of each line will depend on line length and its characteristic"
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 23 Jun 10 at 20:50
So TalkTalk will be using the BT Openreach FTTC service too. PlusNet too and a few others. They should be able to offer upto 10Mbit/s upstream too.
ANd if the fibre gets laid by open reach.
 Laptop won'r send emails - Tooslow
Muswell Hill? Muswell Hill? I thought that was a fictional place from Porridge? Fat chance of getting anything faster up a country lane in Cheshire. I'm with Zen. Was with BT. Wouldn't touch 'em with yours. And Plusnet Is BT with a false beard on.

JH
>> the router MTU was set somewhere between 1500 and 1432, don't think it was the Tiscali value.
>> See if 1432 improves things.

Using the (linux) method here www.dslreports.com/faq/695
suggests MTU should be 1464+28=1492, which might have been what it was set to before

(had to also use ping option '-M do' to prevent fragmentation and get the behaviour described)
>>What about the router setting - should that be 1432 as well?>>

That's where you set it - the computer side doesn't come into it although you might as well do so, TCPOptimiser making it easier than editing the Registry.
>>Was with BT. Wouldn't touch 'em with yours>>

I had a long conversation with an OpenReach engineer recently. He's been with BT for many years, so knows his phone repairs side backwards, but told me that any training on the broadband side had been minimal and that he'd had to pick it up as he went along...:-)
Latest Forum Posts