Computer Related > Photo Help Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 20

Photo Help - Clk Sec
Does anyone know how I can lighten an old b & w image I currently have in Picasa? Admittedly the original itself is fairly dark, but the uploaded version is unrecognisable.

None of the options in Picasa seem to help.

Thanks.
 Photo Help - Tooslow
CLK, I'm not familiar with Picasa, I'm a PSE man, but does it have a Levels feature? If so you'll see a histogram which will be huddling down at the left hand end of the graph. Drag the pointer (sorry, I'm speaking PSE here, hope it helps) from the extreme right hand end down to the right hand edge of the histogram. That should do the trick.

JH
 Photo Help - Zero
A quick google search "picasa adjust brightness"

gave this hit - first line

www.associatedcontent.com/video/2518/how_to_change_brightness_and_contrast.html
 Photo Help - Focusless
CS - I've not used Picasa before, but I've just downloaded the linux version (3 beta), and if I double click on a picture, one of the 'basic fixes' in the panel on the left is 'Fill Light' (I think, the font is a bit small). This appears to make the picture lighter - any good?

EDIT: the comment at the bottom of Z's link implies it might not be ideal
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 20:42
 Photo Help - Statistical Outlier
CS, for simple image editing like this, if you can't stretch to a copy of Photoshop Elements, then ImageJ is a really good tool. It's really a scientific image editor, but it's free, cross platform, and will let you adjust things like levels and contrast very effectively.
 Photo Help - Crankcase
Irfanview is another free windows app that is excellent at this kind of a caper.
 Photo Help - CGNorwich
Select the picture, double click,select the tuning tab and use the "fill light" slider
 Photo Help - Focusless
>> Select the picture, double click,select the tuning tab and use the "fill light" slider

...like I said... :)
 Photo Help - Stuartli
Either Picasa and Irfanview will do exactly what you require as outlined above.

I have bells and whistles photo editing programs but, more often than not, Picasa accomplishes precisely what is needed.
 Photo Help - Clk Sec
>>EDIT: the comment at the bottom of Z's link implies it might not be ideal

The 'fill light' slider in Picasa doesn't help with this particular image, so I'll try some of the other suggestions over the weekend.

Many thanks for the response so far.
 Photo Help - CGNorwich
If "fill light" doesn't make any difference the problem may be that there is simply no detail there. If that is the case no photo editing program can help. Can you see an image in the areas you wish to lighten?
 Photo Help - Tooslow
CLK, just a thought. How did you get the b&w image? If you scanned it then it is often possible to make adjustments at that stage using the scanning software. It just adds to the confusion, oops options, available to you.

JH
 Photo Help - Ambo
If you have MS Office, it has a simple photo editing facility called Picture Manager, which will make a "one-shot" adjustment (i,e, without any selectable gradations).
 Photo Help - Clk Sec
It's a 10" x 12" b & w group photograph taken on a dull day in the 60's which I have scanned to picasa. Although it's a bit on the dark side, there is plenty of detail and I can easily recognise all the members of the group. However, when scanned it's as black as your hat and the various adjustments don't seem to help.

Unfortunately, I don't have MS Office.
 Photo Help - rtj70
Did you scan it was true black and white or greyscale? If it's not greyscale there's not much you could do. Can you rescan it?
 Photo Help - Zero
rescan it in greyscale or colour. Also tweak your scanner settings to make it a brighter scan.
 Photo Help - CGNorwich
Rather than scan the picture you may have more success if you use your digital camera in close up or macro mode . Use natural light rather than flash and select high image quality. Use a tripod or some other support if possible.
 Photo Help - Clk Sec
Many thanks, gents. I've now got a scanned copy which is as good as the original.
 Photo Help - rtj70
I assume you scanned it as greyscale (or colour) and not just B&W :-) Black and white is just that... something is black or white. Great for text documents which then take less space. Poor for anything like photos.

Black and white photos are not black and white... they are greyscale ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 18 Jun 10 at 17:34
 Photo Help - Clk Sec
I tried b&w and various custom settings, but greyscale was indeed my best option.
 Photo Help - rtj70
But you realise a B&W scan is just that. Black and white? A photo will have scales of grey/black/white.
Latest Forum Posts