Computer Related > Outlook not receivng all mail Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 11

Outlook not receivng all mail - smokie
Outlook 2013. Receives most mail but some mail (addressed to the same account) arrives on my Android but never on my PC, even when I forward it from the Android.

I don't have either set to delete messages from the server, the only time that happens is when it is deleted from the deleted items in Outlook.

It all looks OK on the Virgin server through a browser. I can see it all, including the forwarded message from Android.

I don't see anything in spam folder, either on Outlook or Virgin. It seems pretty random which messages are affected.

I've tried the Outlook repair tool. Send and receive doesn't show any errors.

Iv'e had a root around the web and can't see anything similar.

Any thoughts please?
 Outlook not receivng all mail - Focusless
The missing mail isn't all in the same encoding is it, eg. html, rtf, etc.? Or is there any other attribute they all share?
Hmmm that's possible. what direction are you thinking?

I did try putting "Recent" in front of my mail ID in Outlook, it dragged back hundreds of mails!! Many of which I couldn't see in the web version of Virgin mail. So I turned it off again, without really seeing whether it resolved the problem.
 Outlook not receivng all mail - Focusless
>> Hmmm that's possible. what direction are you thinking?

Nn direction in particular - just wondering whether the server(?) was rejecting all incoming mail in html, or rtf, or written in Times New Roman, or something equally irrational.
 Outlook not receivng all mail - rtj70
What happens if the mail is marked as unread via the web page? Are they then downloaded?

Train of thought is the phone has downloaded them and then Outlook is ignoring as they have a read or retrieved flag on them?

How have you got email setup on Android and Outlook? Both using IMAP, both POP3, or one of each?
 Outlook not receivng all mail - Manatee
If one of the clients has mails that are not on the server, it sounds as if one of them is downloading the email and deleting from the server which would also delete them from webmail. rtj70 is probably onto it.
Smokie says the Outlook client is the one deleting mails from the server. And if he forwards the mail on to the server (and it appears in the web client) it still does not download. Hence thinking of IMAP4 on the Android phone perhaps marking messages as downloaded so the Outlook client does not download.
SMTP on Outlook, IMAP on Android. I can see no settings on Android about what to do when a mail is deleted, or about marking it Read or not. Maybe the latter is a possibility.

The mail which I received yesterday evening on my phone is not visible anywhere when I access Virgin mail through my web browser.

I thought it might be to do with the fact that I use gmail to send out mail (can't remember why now...), but I also have a gmail inbox in my Outlook and use a rule to move it to the standard Inbox (that doesn't always work but that's another story!!)

I just forwarded again the mail I forwarded last night to myself which failed to deliver, and it arrived OK, albeit I got one empty one, and another which had the body of the mail as an attachment which is a bit nasty.

Hmmm then I sent it again and it didn't deliver.

It's feeling like there is something in the fact that if it is delivered to the Android then it doesn't get delivered to Outlook but 1) I can't see a setting to change that and 2) I can see the message on the server but marking it unread still doesn't get it delivered to Outlook 3) I'm not sure it's entirely consistent.

But I did just send myself a message from the web browser which appeared on the phone but not on Outlook.

So does anyone know how I prevent delivery on Android from preventing delivery on Outlook please?

EDIT: Maybe I'd do better having both as IMAP?
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 10 Feb 14 at 16:27
IMAP as you know is a push type mail service whereas POP3 is pull. And if you delete with IMAP4 on the phone it will also delete the mail on the mail server.

Done a quick check on my phone (HTC One) with stock HTC mail client which uses IMAP4.

- When an email is sent and it gets downloaded to the phone, the mail on the email web client remains unread.
- Email if downloaded onto my Mac using SMTP it is marked as read online
- Test again and this time open mail on phone before Mac has downloaded it. Shows as read online but Mac still downloads it okay via SMTP

I can't see any setting for my email on the Android phone to delete mails. But if you deleted a mail on the phone it will delete it from your mail server and so Outlook will never see it.
Thanks for your testing, that's how I understood it should work, but the undelivered mails are not deleted on my Android. I think I need to spend an hour so so testing and trying to establish a pattern, because there doesn't really seem to be one at the moment. I am thinking I have an issue rather than a usability problem, because since my post above, three new items have been delivered on my phone but not on my Outlook - and are still showing as unread on the server.

I do have a setting on the Android which pre-downloads the whole message body if on WiFi, I'll try turning that off as that should definitely not report it as delivered.
 Outlook not receivng all mail - RattleandSmoke
Ignore my post, just released you are with Virgin so it is not relevant.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 10 Feb 14 at 17:49
It is all a bit puzzling. Outlook hasn;t received anything tonight but a couple of mails on my Android. I turned Recent on and it went into receiving 420 (19.2mb) emails, errored towards the end and restarted, then ended with an error. It has retrieved messages which definitely do not exist on the Virgin server, as far as I can see, from up to 4 years ago - and it's all stuff I would have deleted. But I go onto the browser once in a while and clear it right down, including the trash.

Anyway I have now archived from Inbox, there were only about 2000 items and the pst file was 1gb which isn't near the limit. Send receive went through a number of times, first 420 messages then 378, and when it finally completed normally it only takes seconds to send/receive. I've cleared all the "new" messages I didn't want but the one message I received on my phone last night still hasn't come in - but the test messages which I sent have.

Going to turn off Recent as not required now I think, and monitor...
Latest Forum Posts