Computer Related > Storing Photos Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 10

Storing Photos - maltrap
I must have a few hundred photos stored in my computer, i'm concerned that if my computer went kaput i'd lose them. I'm not computer clever so can anyone advise me on the best way to store them "off" the computer in a way that a novice like me could do. Many thanks.
 Storing Photos - bathtub tom
Once a year I copy the pictures in my camera to the hard drive, CD and photobucket.
 Storing Photos - RattleandSmoke
One trick is to never delete memory cards, but keep them as an achieve. They are so cheap now anyway there is no point on reusing them all the time.

I store my best photos on photobucket, facebook, but also copy them to another hard drive and keep the old SD cards.

Online backup is the best way but it can work out expensive.
 Storing Photos - swiss tony
I use Google Picasa.
Its free, and has some fantastic features - ie basic editing, and face recognition, one you put a name to a face it picks other pictures that may feature that person, but leaves the final decision to you. Works very well in my experience.
 Storing Photos - madf
I use:
An external hard drive... backed up weekly. Simple, cheap and always under your own control..

And because it is automatic, it is never ever forgotten.. If switched off when it should backup, it does it when switched on next,

Simples.. (ideal for ageing geriatrics)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 11 Feb 14 at 11:10
 Storing Photos - Crankcase
I do something similar, but employ two external hard drives, giving me three copies.

I keep them all in sync using the freely downloadable Synctoy from Microsoft, which is dead easy to use, and deletes or copies files across all three as appropriate.

Of course, with no offsite backup it's not brilliant if your house burns down.

Storing Photos - Fenlander
I manually back up onto an external hard drive from time to time but must look into the auto software. We have always hidden the hard drive in case of theft of our PC kit while away but it has so much crucial stuff on now we take it away on holiday!
 Storing Photos - rtj70
A periodic backup to a backup format that cannot be changed - e.g. DVD or Bluray - is an idea. If a file becomes corrupted then you will be copying the corrupted file onto your backup. By the time you realise this it's too late.

Of course a backup can take a lot of discs, which is why Bluray might be useful.
 Storing Photos - spamcan61
One copy to an external HDD and one to a Skydrive account. Gave up with optical backups when I found out a couple of 2005 vintage DVD backups couldn't be read :-/
 Storing Photos - rtj70
I'm saying to occasional backups to write once media. Not the main backup for me but if a corrupted file came about then backing it up over and over makes no difference. A corrupt file on the main computer equals corrupt file on the backups. And how often do you check the tens of thousands of photos you have? I know I don't check them all.

Try this as a test on Windows if you say have a favourite photo at c:\pictures\favourite-pic.jpg:

- Open a command prompt
- type: Echo rubbish > c:\pictures\favourite-pic.jpg

Then copy that file to your backup as [art pf the backup regime. Files do get corrupted without you doing anything.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 11 Feb 14 at 20:27
 Storing Photos - MD
Move to Marlow or Sunbury then. :0)
Latest Forum Posts