Computer Related > Ripping DVDs with Handbrake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 3

Ripping DVDs with Handbrake - smokie
I've not done much of this, but daughters bought me the DVD of the Stones Hyde Park stuff last year so I thought I'd rip it to be able to put it on my phone.

This has worked fine except it now has black borders above and below (letterbox), which the original doesn't have - the picture now is for a really wide screen format.

I don't want to lose too much quality and I'd like it full screen (not letterbox) on my Xperia Z. Handbrake has a number of pre-sets but I've tried a few now and the result is the same. It also plays back letterbox on my PC.

Does anyone have any idea what settings I need to change, or pre-set I should use, or A N Other product to retain full screen?
 Ripping DVDs with Handbrake - Crankcase
I did a LOT of DVDs with handbrake, and got to know the product intimately. Then I finished my collection and haven't touched it for a year or so. To remind myself before giving duff advice, I went to this page, and lost the will to live halfway through.

It can be done, but unhelpfully, I don't recall how without looking at the software, which I can't feasibly do.

trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide
Well that's as clear as mud!!

Actually it made some sense, and at least I have some idea of what parameters I can try to fix the issue. Thanks.
Thanks for that, should have thought to RTFM - after having a good read then playing with the setting I got it to a more sensible size (turned off anamorphic and ticked Keep Aspect Ratio). However the output was, in places, a bit like an old telly picture where you can see the lines. So I've done a test changing the Decomb filter to Fast (from Default) and it looks like that has fixed it. I think the filter has slowed down the process but that doesn't bother me.
Latest Forum Posts