Computer Related > New laptop Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 12

New laptop - Mapmaker
What should I buy?

I currently have a Samsung NC10, but use of that has been almost entirely superseded by my iPhone. Realisation that the battery is entirely dead-as-a-dodo - owing to keeping it plugged in like a desktop - and being reluctant to spend £20-30 on a new battery when probably I want something bigger than a netbook made me think 'new computer time'.

As I have an iPhone for out-and-about usage, perhaps I don't want a laptop at all but a desktop instead.

What will I do on it? Wordprocessing, largely, I guess. I'm not going to be doing CAD, or online gaming. And it's not going to get much use anyway.

Or can I just plug the NC10 into a keyboard and monitor.

Thanks

New laptop - Falkirk Bairn
Wireless mouse & keyboard works OK with my old screen & printer - the desktop CPU gave in years ago.
 New laptop - No FM2R
When considering the choice between a laptop and a desktop there are only two reasons for choosing the laptop. Pretty much everything else will favour a desktop;

1) You will want to carry it around
2) You do not have space to site a desktop, or at least not somewhere you want to sit.
 New laptop - Mapmaker
>>or at least not somewhere you want to sit.

You're probably right; that's the clincher. It's got to be portable.

So go on then, what?
 New laptop - No FM2R
I don't know much about which laptop is best, others here do. I usually buy something that seems reasonable and is on offer somewhere.

Just think carefully before getting it with Windows 8.
 New laptop - RattleandSmoke
I built a lot of basic Ivybridge and Haswell machines for clients, they are basic Celeron or Pentium processors but they are far far faster than the i3s you get in laptops.

Laptop processors are always clocked a lot lower than the desktop version and also most laptops have slower hard drives.

Desktops are also a lot more reliable and if they go wrong they are much cheaper to fix. Don't get me wrong I use my netbook a lot but I run Linux on it, but I use my phone or tablet when and about. I use my two desktops (one i3 Ivybridge and one Pentium Haswell) for most things.

New laptop - Zero
>> >>or at least not somewhere you want to sit.
>>
>> You're probably right; that's the clincher. It's got to be portable.
>>
>> So go on then, what?

Tell us your price range first. We are talking 350 to 2k here. Pick a slot.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 20 Jan 14 at 18:04
 New laptop - rtj70
>> Or can I just plug the NC10 into a keyboard and monitor.

Yes you could. Maybe that's all you need if an underpowered netbook is acceptable.

I'm sure you'd like a Macbook Pro 13" Retina display though. A bit pricey. Good education discounts available if you say have a child in (higher) education.
 New laptop - Mapmaker
Tell us your price range first. We are talking 350 to 2k here. Pick a slot

You described me as "tight as a duck's backside" I've bought cars in the last decade where two of them add up to no more than £350...

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 May 14 at 02:14
 New laptop - Focusless
I reckon £280 gets you something that meets your needs:
www.ebuyer.com/580761-hp-250-g1-laptop-f0x99es-abu

RAM and disk space fine, and although the CPU is relatively slow, it's faster than the one in my work laptop which I'm using to write this.

EDIT: ...according to www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php (mine's a P8700)
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 21 Jan 14 at 08:47
 New laptop - Bromptonaut
If it's just word processing, browsing etc. NC 10 with a wireless keyboard and mouse will do job for another yr or two at least. If you need portability then maybe you have to fork out for a new battery.

I'm typing this on a 2006 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo running XP. I added some memory once o/wise it's as built.
 New laptop - Zero
he's going to need to do a lot of WPing. He has a defence to muster after killing his sister.
 New laptop - smokie
This one just came up on HotUK Deals, no idea if it is value for money though, looks a pretty good spec

www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION%20AKOYA%20P7627%20Laptop%20(MD98464)/30016092A1

£ 529.00 + £6.95 p&p - today deal only

EDIT: Costco deal just announced - again, I am not recommending, just seems a reasonable spec

www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.2,cos_1.2.2/159431?utm_source=emailFY14P6W1a&utm_medium=Top-1&utm_term=159431&utm_campaign=emailFY14P6W1a

£579.99
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 22 Jan 14 at 11:17
Latest Forum Posts