Computer Related > Web site connection Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 30

Web site connection - Pat
Can someone try to connect to www.trucknetuk.com please.

I couldn't connect to it all day yesterday or this morning. The laptop on this Wi Fi connection won't connect to it either, yet others on Facebook are telling me they are connected without a problem.
No problems with any other websites at all and have tested the router and that's working just fine.

Thanks

Pat
 Web site connection - smokie
OK for me Pat, arrives at a site called www.roadtransport.com/drivers/ so you could try that?

Open a DOS window (Windows key, Run, enter cmd then hit enter) - should get a black screen. Type in tracert www.trucknet.com and it will tell you the hops it is going through to get there. If it "can't resolve host" or something like that then there probably isn't much you can do about it, you'll just have to wait for your ISP's lookup tables to re-find it.
Ive done that smokie and it got to about 20 hops and I got 4 times a request timed out notice, then it started again and in another 3 hops it said 'Trace Complete'

Pat
 Web site connection - Falkirk Bairn
Connected immediately - nothing wrong with site -

Vista+IE8 if this helps
Thanks FB, it's as I suspected then, something wrong this end.

Has anyone any ideas?

It's failing on both the computers on this network, so it must have become blocked somewhere, but just where could that be?

Pat
Tried that link Smokie and I can get roadtransport.com but it won't link to Trucknet. I'm getting 'Domain Name Server cannot connect'

Pat
Probably your ISPs DNS lookups are broke. They will repair in time, or you could call your ISP. Or you could use a public DNS server - here's instructions for Google's (and it isn't as complicated as it first looks) code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

1. Go the Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, then Manage network connections.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
Click OK.
Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 08:54
PS Any idea how my hoover works? :-)

EDIT: Humorous, not sexist. As Pat is aware from another thread my Mrs has been away and comes back today...
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 09:01
 Web site connection - Stuartli
>> PS Any idea how my hoover works? :-)>>

See:

home.howstuffworks.com/vacuum-cleaner.htm

Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 09:10
I only wanted to hoover Stuart, not service the blummin' thing! :-)

Thanks, and job done. Probably the quickest hoover the house has had for some time, but it's a box ticked. I managed the washing earlier this week too, but the ironing was one step too far.
>>Probably your ISPs DNS lookups are broke. ,,

Woulsn't that affect other sites too?

I have to get tha caravan washed and sorted for an early getaway next saturday morning now, but will try out all suggestions later on this afternoon. ( probably while football is on!)

Pat
One of your ISPs hops (router) along the defined route might be bust, then you won't be able to reach the site. Odds are that there will be other sites it can't reach but they are ones you just don't use. Using a different DNS server will send you along a completely different route, thus avoiding the broken part of your route.

Also, ISPs have routing tables and there can be any number of reasons why a site (or your ISPs route to a site) might drop out of the table, or otherwise become unreachable, sometimes valid and sometimes not. E.g. if you forget to renew a domain name it will be dropped completely from the routing tables and will take a few hours/days to riplle round all routing tables once it is live again.

I'd guess it's the former in your case, and you might find it's OK again when you get back this afternoon.

This isn't getting the chores done!
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 10:09
 Web site connection - Duncan
I connected straight away. It seems to be about lorries.
 Web site connection - Bellboy
cant you just turn it off and on again?
it works in the IT show and is what IT tell my wife to do at the nhs when her computer crashes
 Web site connection - Iffy
I get sent to: www.roadtransport.com/drivers/

Which has a link on its front page to Trucknet.

As Duncan says, it all seems to be about the same thing.
 Web site connection - Stuartli
Quite a number of TalkTalk subscribers (some of whom might perhaps users of this forum) have had similar problems recently, but it does appear to have been sorted out. See:

www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43089

www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/179/153/
 Web site connection - Roger.
Use Open DNS - free, and you can block certain sites at source. for safer surfing.
You certainly don't want Google collecting MORE data on you, do you?
goo.gl/tmMi
Well, it's still not working on that one website for me this morning so I'm going to start at the top of this thread and try your suggestions.

Just hope one of you is up early for when I get stuck but I think I'll make a system restore point first just in case!

Pat
I thought I would do a bit of experimenting before I made any major changes ( while you were all in bed!) and I have tried to connect to the website via my laptop and the Vodafone dongle, and it won't connect that way either.
Surely that shows it isn't a Tiscali/Talk Talk problem and could be that the site has blocked my IP aggress by mistake?

Duncan & IIH, yes, it is all about lorries:)
The world doesn't end at the front and rear bumper of cars you know, and it's where a lot of my work comes from too!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 07:47
 Web site connection - car4play
As the site you mention redirects to
www.roadtransport.com/drivers/
can you browse directly to there?

To test your DNS at the command prompt Smokie refers to what does
nslookup www.truckersuk.net (or whatever it was) give?

Also what does
nslookup www.roadtransport.com
give?

I'm using the phone so can't quote what or should be :-(
 Web site connection - Duncan
>> ( while you were all in bed!) >>
At 07.46 when you posted, I was hard at work - well, I was working!

>> Duncan & IIH, yes, it is all about lorries:)>>
My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek!

Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 08:22
So was mine Duncan!

Will try roadtransport.com now.

Pat
nslookup shows for www.trucknetuk.com
server unknown

and then multiple time outs

I think that is my IP address? ( Netgear Router)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sun 13 Jun 10 at 09:32
nslookup to www.roadtransport.com shows

server unknnown

then it shows www.roadtransport.com 146.101.117.239

Pat
I posted here too Duncan:)

> Sun 13 Jun 10 05:44 <

Pat
 Web site connection - MD
Trucknetuk working here now
I've checked with Trucknet Admin and I haven't had my IP blocked accidentally, so I'm going to follow Smokie's instructions later this morning but using Open DNS instead of Google.

I'm not sure though if I should be changing IP adresses on the PC or on the Router.
I seem to think it should be on the router as this will work for all the PC's on the network.

Am I right?

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 14 Jun 10 at 06:47
Yes, you are, although I *think* that you could just change it on one PC and it would override the router settings. But if you are comfortable changing the router than that's the best place.
Thanks Smokie, I'm never 'comfortable' doing things likethat but mrpda is at Addenbrookes this morning for his 6 monthly check up and I need to keep my mind busy!

Pat
All done:)

Thanks for your help smokie, I went into the Router but there was two sets of IP addresses and I wasn't sure which ones to change, so I decided to do it your way and it really is simple.
It worked straight away but I had to do it on both laptops as well.
back to pacing the floor now for a couple of hours!

Pat
 Web site connection - Crankcase
Just to add a titbit of info - if you don't know if it's just you when you have trouble getting to a website or whether it's a problem at their end, this site can a useful quick starting point:

downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Latest Forum Posts