Computer Related > iPad mini + tethering Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

iPad mini + tethering - Rudedog
I just need to confirm something...

I've bought an iPad Mini for family use, it's wifi only but am I correct in thinking that I can make my iPhone a Personal Hotspot and then tether the iPad to it and make use of my 3G connection when out and about.
 iPad mini + tethering - Zero
Yes you can, and I do that routinely with my macbook air.
 iPad mini + tethering - VxFan
>> am I correct in thinking that I can make my iPhone a Personal Hotspot and then tether the iPad to it and make use of my 3G connection when out and about.

Depends who your network provider is. Some allow tethering, some don't.

If yours doesn't, then you could get a 2nd hand mi-fi device from an internet auction site and run it on something like a 3 data sim.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 23 Dec 13 at 21:20
 iPad mini + tethering - rtj70
It used to be that mobile networks charged extra for tethering with an iPhone. That changed (probably) when: (a) we moved away from uncapped/unlimited tariffs for data and (b) Android phones offered this and little the networks could do. So I think all offer tethering apart from maybe Virgin Mobile - but they are a virtual network so perhaps not and they all do now?

But use of data from a tablet or laptop likely to be higher than the phone uses. So care needed if your data tariff is on the low side.
>> So I think all offer tethering apart from maybe Virgin Mobile

Unless things have recently changed, Tesco doesn't allow tethering, although they piggy back onto the O2 network which does.
Those of us on a proper network get Tethering.

You use monkeys you get nuts.
A Mobile Virtual Network Operator thing then?
>> You use monkeys you get nuts.

I also get a cheaper network charge as well as the nuts.

You might well get the tethering, but you have to buy your nuts.
>> >> You use monkeys you get nuts.
>>
>> I also get a cheaper network charge as well as the nuts.

No you don't, you get shells.

>> You might well get the tethering, but you have to buy your nuts.

Like you had to

>If yours doesn't, then you could get a 2nd hand mi-fi device from an internet auction site and run >it on something like a 3 data sim.
>> Like you had to

I use my mifi device for different reasons. Where I work the only networks that provide a 3G service are Orange and 3. But at home those networks are non existent so are next to useless to me. O2 and Vodaphone however provide a 2G service both at work and home. So, even if my network offered tethering, I still couldn't use it. The compromise was to run a mifi on a cheap 3 sim. Plus it saves my battery because it it's getting a wifi signal and not 3G.
 iPad mini + tethering - Stuartli
I use GiffGaff (owned by O2) and it allows tethering on the £10 Goodybag (1GB data now, against previous unlimited), but all the other Goodybags don't allow it despite unlimited data.

However, as it's normally possible to find free wi-fi hotspots rather than data, it's something I've never bothered with on my HTC One X or laptop.
 iPad mini + tethering - Fursty Ferret
Stupid question, but even if they don't allow tethering, how would they know? My phone (Nokia Lumia) just has an option for internet sharing where it creates a hotspot. Chewed through 2.5GB of data while waiting for BT to plug in my broadband this month with no complaints from T-Mobile.
>> Stupid question, but even if they don't allow tethering, how would they know?

There are/were controls built into iOS to prevent sharing of the Internet connection which meant to enable it you had to pay extra. This changed in my opinion when the original unlimited data tariffs the iPhone launched with disappeared and also when Android devices allowed setting up wifi hotspots.

You're right that it would be difficult to differentiate the data used because most of the common protocols like HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SMTP, etc. are used by the phone and the tethered device.
Latest Forum Posts