Computer Related > Google background image Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 20

Google background image - Fenlander
Anyone noticed that the white background on Google has been replaced with random images?? Seems the only way to get rid of them is to register to some sort of My Google. I hate this... I don't want to register and I really don't like the typical supposedly impressive stock images they're using.
 Google background image - Focusless
I already use iGoogle (ie. personalised) rather than the standard page, so hadn't noticed it. But when I logged out and was presented with a city at night picture, I didn't like it - back to iGoogle.

EDIT: I mean the picture's ok, but it's a bit overwhelming
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 10 Jun 10 at 10:34
 Google background image - Iffy
...is to register to some sort of My Google.I hate this...

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I am 'registered' to iGoogle via a Googlemail email address I never use.

I have built an iGoogle homepage including 'gadget' links to news and sports sites amd my Hotmail account.

The iGoogle homepage is the browser homepage of each of the four computers I regularly use, which is handy because it means I'm always in the same internet environment.

I've just had a little play with this.

You can get rid of the pic by clicking on the 'Curious about today's homepage?' link.

This opens a window for you to choose other images.

Click on Editor's choice.

Scroll down and you will find plain colours, including white.

Google background image - Zero
this is a real PITA, I have changed my home page search engine in protest.

No matter how hard I look, once I've clicked on the curious/change background links, I can't see any way of changing without creating an account or signing in to an existing one.
>> No matter how hard I look, once I've clicked on the curious/change background links, I
>> can't see any way of changing without creating an account or signing in to an
>> existing one.

I see what you mean - if I sign out, I get a picture and a link 'Sign in to see your background image', which brings up the same sign in page as clicking on 'Curious about today's homepage? Add your own background image now'.
...although if I click on the iGoogle link (while still signed out) I get a picture-free screen, albeit a bit different to the 'classic' one.
Its not on Google.com, only Google.co.uk
 Google background image - Pat
Don't panic, it will revert back to normal tomorrow apparently.

I hate it too:)

Pat
 Google background image - MD
Mine is just a white background!
You're time will come Martin:)

It's being rolled out in stages, get your shades ready!

Pat
...No matter how hard I look, once I've clicked on the curious/change background links, I can't see any way of changing without creating an account or signing in to an existing one...

Perhaps it let me change the image because I have an iGoogle account.

A sure way to get rid is to change your search engine.

People speak quite highly of bing....

....Frank Sinatra, for one. :)

Its reverted back
 Google background image - John H
>> Its reverted back
>>

Tautology.
;-) Just kidding.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 10 Jun 10 at 18:56
 Google background image - Roger.
Use Scroogle - better for your privacy!
 Google background image - Telb
Or Ask Jeeves
Well, I did tell you it was only for one day........... but as usual, no-one listens to a mere female!

Can I hear someone saying 'you we're right Pat':)

Pat
You were right Pat :-)

I do wonder if it was a crafty 24hr marketing way to get loads of folks to sign up.
 Google background image - Stuartli
The Google changing backgrounds are to denote a special occasion or anniversary on a particular date - IIRC hovering the cursor over the illustration reveals the occasion (might be a right click).
No this was the Full page background, with selections from google images, not the special google logos to which you are refering.
Latest Forum Posts