Computer Related > slow upload speed on laptop, ok on iPhone Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 4

slow upload speed on laptop, ok on iPhone - Focusless
Using an online broadband speedchecker on my laptop, I usually get a download speed of 12-13Mbps, which is fine, but the upload speed ranges from <0.1 to a max of about 0.2Mbps.

Then I tried measuring it on my iPhone - got the same download speed, but the upload came out at about 1Mbps, which is what it should be. Repeated tests, same result; also wired/wireless connection (on laptop) doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas? Using Windows 7 Enterprise.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 10 Dec 13 at 10:39
 slow upload speed on laptop, ok on iPhone - Zero
tried rebooting the router?

Uninstall the adaptor, let windows re-install it and reload the drivers.
>> tried rebooting the router?

yup (at home)

>> Uninstall the adaptor, let windows re-install it and reload the drivers.

So in Device Manager / Network adapters there's 3 entries (plus 2 for VMware) - one for WiFi, one for the LAN port and 'TAP-Win32 Adapter V9' which is something to do with VPN. I've just tried uninstalling the LAN port adapter (without ticking the 'delete driver software' option), but it doesn't appear to have helped.

I'm in the office at the moment, where the iPhone has measured an upload speed of 15Mbps, but using a wired connection the laptop can only only get <1Mbps. However using wifi it's reporting a more respectable 11Mbps (which is why so far I've only tried uninstalling the LAN port adapter).
 slow upload speed on laptop, ok on iPhone - Zero
delete and resinstall the drivers for the pan port, disable the VMware ones, and test.
No obvious improvement at work; will try speed tests here at home tomorrow morning when other network users have vacated the premises.

Not sure what the VMware adapters were doing - uninstalling them doesn't appear to affected browsing within VMplayer/Ubuntu. However uninstalling the VPN-related adapter (done off my own bat) did stop VPN working - better get that back if I'm going to get much done working from home tomorrow...
Latest Forum Posts