Computer Related > Laptop can not see dvd/cd drive Car Deals
Thread Author: Jacko Replies: 6

Laptop can not see dvd/cd drive - Jacko
My Toshiba lap top can not see the dvd/cd. I have tried to reload the drivers without success. Any suggestions please
 Laptop can not see dvd/cd drive - Stuartli
The only driver required for optical drives is the basic Windows CDROM driver, normally installed automatically when the drive is installed. The functions of re-writers are controlled using burning software such as Nero.

Usually going into Device Manager and Uninstalling the drive and then Rebooting cures your particular problem, but also ensure that in the drive's Properties in Device Manager it is still listed as Use This Device.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 7 Jun 10 at 19:54
 Laptop can not see dvd/cd drive - Zero
if removing the device from device manager as above does not work, you have a hardware failure of the drive - pretty common.
 Thanks StuartLi and Zero - Jacko
Uninstalling didn't work. Looks like I will be buying a drive.

Best wishes

Jacko
 Thanks StuartLi and Zero - rtj70
My work laptop has a power safe function - enabling it disables certain items of hardware including the CD/DVD drive. However, it does work again after a reboot.

Does your laptop have anything like this setup/enabled? Have you even accidentally disabled the drive?
 Thanks StuartLi and Zero - sajid
jacko see if you can goto the bios setting and check if the drive is there if not you need to reload it, also goto device manager and look at ide and atap drives and see if the cd is there if not yu need to uninstall it and let windows find it
 Thanks StuartLi and Zero - Stuartli
>>and see if the cd is there if not yu need to uninstall it and let windows find it >>

Already stated that this doesn't work (the usual solution).

Probably the CD or DVD laser has given up the ghost.
Latest Forum Posts