Computer Related > Sending Photos by email? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 11

Sending Photos by email? - Duncan
I am trying to send some photos by email. They are being bounced back as being too big, which is strange, because to make sure I had done the attachments properly, I sent them to one of my alternative email addresses first! Each file is around 6MB?

Any bright ideas, please? My mail is Yahoo.

TIA
 Sending Photos by email? - No FM2R
Open a free dropbox account.

Upload the photos to that account

E-mail the public link for those photos to whoever you wish who can simply view, or download, those photos.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 10 Nov 13 at 17:44
 Sending Photos by email? - Manatee
The restriction on email attachment size could be on the recipient's side.

6MB is pretty big, bigger than you need for most purposes. Is there a reason to send them at that resolution and compression?

If you can live with smaller files, exporting the pictures from Picasa is a painless way to do it for non-techy people. You can edit a bit first if you like then export with the edits incorporated in the file at a variety of resolutions. If you choose original (pixels) size, Picasa will automatically adjust the compression to produce a smaller file usually with no noticeable loss of quality.

Or, you can upload pictures at original file size including pictures to various sites whence they can be downloaded. EDIT - which is what FM2R is suggesting.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 10 Nov 13 at 17:51
 Sending Photos by email? - Cliff Pope
Be thankful they are bouncing back not clogging up the recipient's computer.

Before we got a faster broadband line some relatives used to try and email us entire albums of their holiday pictures. Every time I tried to get my mail it would begin the painfully slow process of trying to download an enormous file. It would time out after half an hour, having blocked more important mail, but then try and start up again next session.

I had to block their address in the end as they wouldn't listen to pleas to reduce the size.

Sending Photos by email? - Dulwich Estate
I use this for Windows 7

imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Very easy to install and it works very well.
 Sending Photos by email? - Fullchat
I sent some material which bounced back. I sent the attachments on separate e-mails.
 Sending Photos by email? - Duncan
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I have opened a Dropbox account and sent the pics via that.

Fingers crossed
 Sending Photos by email? - Stuartli
You can also Copy and Paste a photograph into the Message body of an e-mail.
 Sending Photos by email? - Roger.
...or insert it, if using Thunderbird.
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 00:28
 Sending Photos by email? - rtj70
Of course you can. But if the original file size is large (or multiple files) it may never get sent or may never arrive. You will likely be told. Easy for a digital photo to be above the limit for some email services. So sending more than one more likely to fail.

And resizing to send them okay means you've lowered quality. So a good idea to do via the like of Dropbox.

I think Duncan knew how to send the photos (copy and paste or attachment) it's just that the email was too large.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 11 Nov 13 at 00:47
 Sending Photos by email? - movilogo
If these are family/social photos, then upload somewhere like Picasa/Flickr etc and send them the link (you can have private links).

For all other images, there are several free websites where you can upload images and send the link to your recipients.

Sending Photos by email? - madf
Flickr for me..
www.flickr.com/photos/67529087@N02/sets/72157634351337519/
Latest Forum Posts