Computer Related > Chrome/Gmail interaction Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 4

Chrome/Gmail interaction - Focusless
I spend a lot of time working on my laptop, and you can tell when it's 'busy' (high non-idle CPU) because after a bit the fan speeds up and it sounds like it's about to take off.

I've been noticing that this happens when I've got multiple tabs open in a Chrome window, and one of them is Gmail, although it's one of the hidden/background tabs. Looking at the task manager, Chrome is taking ~50%.

As soon as I make Gmail the foreground tab, the CPU usage drops back down (and eventually the fan slows down).

The high CPU doesn't seem to happen immediately - haven't done much experimenting to measure after how long it kicks in, or tried using other browsers. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Not really a problem, although I guess it would cut your battery life if you didn't notice it. I'm running Windows 7.
Last edited by: Focusless on Fri 1 Nov 13 at 13:37
 Chrome/Gmail interaction - Zero
It might not be Gmail, but I would stake my grannies life on it being a flash app on one of the pages.
Do you mean a flash app running in the gmail tab, or somewhere else?

Just happened again - noticed CPU was high, gmail was a background tab, closed it (without bringing it to foreground) and CPU went back to normal idle level.
 Chrome/Gmail interaction - Zero
Just tested Gmail on the mac, you using chrome? it has a highish cpu use due to some plugin and helper with gmail.
'Normal' (chrome) CPU use appears to be ~1%, until something triggers something and it jumps up to ~50%. Haven't seen it drop back down again of its own accord as I close it down when I notice it, but might try leaving it next time.

It doesn't happen that often - sitting there now quite happily.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 08:06
Latest Forum Posts