Computer Related > Source a strange power supply Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 19

Source a strange power supply - BobbyG
I need to source a power supply for our shop tills - the adaptor is an Acbel AD7043 , 19V, 4.74A with a 4 pin socket on the end.

www.acbel.com/ProductFile/AD7043.pdf

Online, there doesn't appear to be anything in UK.

Does anyone know of a UK place that stocks "those strange computer things you can't get anywhere else"?
 Source a strange power supply - RattleandSmoke
Would a laptop charger not work if you can find the right connector and solder the correct one on or get somebody else to it? What amperage does the power supply need to be? Most laptop chargers are 19v but it depends on how much current the cash register draws.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 28 Oct 13 at 16:15
Possibly ?

input - 1.4A
output 19V , 4.74A

if that makes sense?
 Source a strange power supply - rtj70
Maplin would be my first port of call. Or ebay?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Oct 13 at 16:34
Maplin don't have it - went in and asked them.

Nothing obvious on Ebay with my current searches so far...
That is pretty much a standard laptop charger you might even be able to find one with the right connector on it. Is it possible to show me exactly what the connector looks like then I should recognise it and might be able to find you a power supply.
Rattle, this doesn't show it well but it is this
www.amazon.com/Adapter-AD7043-API5AD17-Vectron-Charger/dp/B00ESQABK6

will try and find another image somewhere and get back to you
This looks like it

www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/46-86734-22821/Acbel-Polytech-AD7043-AC-Adapter-Laptop.html

I know the connector it is very unusual and never seen it on a laptop but the charger itself is identical the one you get on laptops. I am not quite sure why their are four connectors though.

Could you cut the wire on the old one and see how the connector is wired up? I am thinking a TV type repair shop might be able to make you a charger up quite easily, as 19v laptop chargers are standard but they usually only have the +19v and ground connectors on them so I am wondering why this one has four pins.

Source a strange power supply - spamcan61
>> I know the connector it is very unusual and never seen it on a laptop
>> but the charger itself is identical the one you get on laptops. I am not
>> quite sure why their are four connectors though.
>>
You might find that the PSU has remote sense i.e. two of the wires are supplying the +ve and -ve to the the till and the other two are feeding back the voltage at a reference point inside the till to the PSU, so it can adjust the exact output voltage as necessary.

..or they've just done it to tie you in to their bespoke PSU....
 Source a strange power supply - No FM2R
I assume that you've tried this lot?

AcBel Polytech (UK) Co. Ltd.
32 Hepburn Road, Hillington Business Park Glasgow G52 4RT, Scotland, UK
Tel: 44-141-883-8631
Fax: 44-141-883-8752
Email: scotland@acbel.com
Rattle, in case it helps I think I had that connector on an old Toshiba - long time ago though.
I did wonder if there was a UK supplier for the right part. I found the right part on ebay (US) I think but it seemed to have an additional 'adapter/plug' on it...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AC-Adapter-AcBel-AD7043-I-T-E-Power-Supply-Charger-PSU-Cord-Barrel-Tip-/121165923611?pt=US_Power_Supplies&hash=item1c360d451b

The one here:

www.acbel.com/eng/Product.aspx?id=57&&sd=31&&pid=381

Seems to show there will be various tips for the adapter.

Perhaps not surprising the UK operation is based in Scotland considering where BobbyG's shops are.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 28 Oct 13 at 17:34
 Source a strange power supply - Falkirk Bairn
Go to the till maker, they will hve spares
The connector is a right pain in the backside, it is one of these pull the slider back to the pull the jack out.
But it is hid away under a panel that has razor sharp edges to it and you need to try and insert it by touch (oo er missus) - a bit like changing a headlight bulb on a Renault Scenic!
No FM2R

Where did you get that info from? I did a "contact us" from the Acbel website and it was preaddressed to that Scotland email address.

That address must be a good 5 miles at the most from my work, I think I will take a wee wander down there tomorrow!

Cheers again!
Good luck, glad to help.
192.com shows their address:

www.192.com/atoz/business/glasgow-g52/computer-services/acbel-polytech/1a3b4835fe521f1f52e8ea1ae92ff76210280ec5/ml/
Did you go, Bobby?
Em ... no!

I phoned them today and was answered by someone speaking in pidgin English. I asked if they stocked the specific item I wanted and he said no, they were a service place not retail.

So I changed tact and asked that if I had this problem and took it to him how would he repair it, he said he didn't know!

So I gave up with them!

Have managed to source one from the company we bought them from and they are dispatching it to us tomorrow. However we do not have any cover with them as such (although their call operative didn't seem to realise that) so at some point in the future I will probably be hit with a hefty invoice :(
Latest Forum Posts