Computer Related > how do you transfer favourites to another PC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 10

how do you transfer favourites to another PC - -
New (refurbed) PC is due here today for the one showing signs of the hiccups.

SWMBO would like to know how she can transfer her hundreds of 'favourites' websites onto the external hard drive in order to load them onto the new one, it appears she can do them individually (not certain yet) but obviously she'd like to swipe the lot of them and dump them straight in.

Is this feasable or would it be possible to 'network' link the two computers together and copy the old computers's info onto the new, how would one do this please, or am i as usual barking up the wrong tree.

If this would be an easier solution to putting all her hundreds of files on too, then please advise but simply for a PC thicko..:-).

thanks.
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - Manatee
Set up Google account. Install Chrome. Import bookmarks from Firefox or whatever.

Put Chrome on new PC. Sign in. All bookmarks will appear. They will also sync to any other PCs she uses if she signs in.

Alternatively just copy the contents of the Favourites folder from one PC to the other.
>> Alternatively just copy the contents of the Favourites folder from one PC to the other.
>>

Thanks MT, Chrome if needs be then, but how exactly does she grab all the favourites and send them?
Sorted....pcmemoirs.com/2010/07/29/how-to-transfer-favorites-to-another-pc/

thanks
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - Manatee
Yep that'll do it.
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - VxFan
If using Internet Explorer,

File - Import & Export. Choose what you want to Export and where to (memory stick).

Repeat on new PC, but choose Import and select where the file(s) are.

She might want to also consider exporting cookies and importing them to new PC. That way any websites (such as this one) that use cookies for membership purposes will remember who she is and the previous settings.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 3 Oct 13 at 13:59
Thanks VxFan.

She's also considering PickMeApp as a tool to help transfer some other files over, dare say it won't do all but if she can get some of her programs over easier with this (and they work) then it has to be a bonus.

I suppose getting a new PC and trying to dupicate your old one is always going to be a major headache.
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - smokie
Data is should be easy enough as I'm sure you keep a backup on a removable device that you can just attach to the new PC to copy it on :-)

Guess you don't have a network but that is also a reasonably painless way.

Be interested how you get on with pickmeapp, usually moving programs themselves is a big no-no because of registry settings etc. I'd actually recommend against it - either re-install from original media or download the latest versions. You don't really want pickmeapp to mess up a brand new PC...
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - Zero
or even transfer the old problem to the new pc.......
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - No FM2R
You can open a free Dropbox account which kind of works as your own shared folder on the internet. You can then copy all your files into from one computer, and back out again from the other.

In fact Dropbox does loads more than that, but that might be enough for you.
 how do you transfer favourites to another PC - spamcan61
I use the Microsoft win7 version of ye olde Easy transfer Wizard, this has the handy feature of scanning your transferred data and listing which files don't have a program to run them on the new PC.

windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer
Latest Forum Posts