Computer Related > Downloading pictures, problems. Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 10

Downloading pictures, problems. - maltrap
When downloading pictures (and videoclips) from my Canon Ixus 100 IS, my computer duplicates pictures that were previously downloaded. My computer has Windows Vista, downloading to "pictures" How can i stop this happening ?
Thanks in anticipation.
 Downloading pictures, problems. - Zero
What programe or utility are you using to download?

you get the option to "delete from camera" shown when you download?
I'm not sure what you mean by what programme or utility. When i had the camera it came with a disc which i loaded into the computer. I don't use the delete option, i use the memory card as a back up to the computer & vice versa, I also use the camera as a travelling pocket photo album.
>> I'm not sure what you mean by what programme or utility. When i had the
>> camera it came with a disc which i loaded into the computer.

That is the program or utility that you use to download the pictures

>> I don't use the delete option,

If you don't do the delete option, funnily enough you computer duplicates pictures that were previously downloaded because they are still on the camera.

>>i use the memory card as a back up to the computer
>> & vice versa, I also use the camera as a travelling pocket photo album.

you shouldn't. A camera is for taking pictures, not a photo album or a portable back up drive.

All the above is why your computer is duplicating pictures.
 Downloading pictures, problems. - FocalPoint
Someone with more computer-sense than I will probably be along in a minute, but I'm not sure I understand you. Do you download some pictures and then download the same pictures on another occasion? Or do a complete download of the camera's memory card more than once? If so, I've no idea why you would do that. I always set up new folders and send the photos in groups to those folders, simply because I know I'll never find anything later otherwise. And even if you are doing that, doesn't your computer ask you, as it comes across duplications during downloading, if you want to replace the existing file?

I also use Vista and download to Pictures, though I do it manually by accessing the memory card as Drive E and highlighting the files to be copied.

Don't know if what I've put makes sense.
When i download a new set of pictures (say 6) it tells me it's downloading 47 ! Which includes pictures i've previously downloaded. The one thing i've been doing more of is downloading "videoclips"which might be having an effect. Next time i'll try using Drive E & download manually.
>> When i download a new set of pictures (say 6) it tells me it's downloading
>> 47 ! Which includes pictures i've previously downloaded.

Because they are still on the camera.

Actually there are 167 pictures on the camera, it's a mystery
Thanks for your help.
 Downloading pictures, problems. - No FM2R
You say you have 6 new, 47 are downloaded to the computer (of which I assume 41 are duplicates), out of 167 on the camera?

Do you do anything to the pictures after you've downloaded them ? Changing their name, editing them or moving them might cause the machines to think it is a new file.

Downloading pictures, problems. - Robbie34
You need to delete them from your memory card after downloading them to your PC.

Downloading pictures, problems. - Stuartli
My Nikon DSLR camera's software will not download any photo files from the camera's SD card if they haven't been deleted after first being copied to a desktop's hard drive, unless specifically requested to do so.
Latest Forum Posts