Computer Related > Kindle & ebook reader prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 12

Kindle & ebook reader prices - tyro
I've just had an email from Amazon offering me £20 off a Kindle, bringing the price down to £49. Is this a sign that ebook reader prices are about to fall? I've never bought one of the things, but I have considered it.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - R.P.
If you have a tablet computer don't bother, just get the App.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Zero
>> If you have a tablet computer don't bother, just get the App.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends very much on your tablet. If simply want to read books, nothing comes close to the "pack it and go" or "read it in bed" form factor of the kindle.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Focusless
iPhone + Kindle/ebooks/etc. app works great for me.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Zero
>> I've just had an email from Amazon offering me £20 off a Kindle, bringing the
>> price down to £49. Is this a sign that ebook reader prices are about to
>> fall? I've never bought one of the things, but I have considered it.

Thats the "old" basic kindle. Good enough for the job. Dont be tempted by low prices on anything other than a kindle if you want a straight book reader.
"If you have a tablet computer don't bother, just get the App."

"Dont be tempted by low prices on anything other than a kindle if you want a straight book reader."

I really don't know if I want a book reader or not. And I don't have a tablet.

I've never had (or used) a smartphone, a tablet / pad, or an ebook reader. (I guess that makes me an oddity - perhaps even unique! - on this forum.) Nor have I been able to decide whether I want one or any of them.

My wife occasionally talks about wanting a device for accessing the web when away from home on holiday. I can sort of see the point, since there are times that one wants a bit of information on holiday that the web could provide - but to be honest, for me, escaping the web is one of the joys of holidays.

And she also occasionally thinks of how nice it would be if books were not so heavy . . .

Common sense says that if I were to make a purchase, what I would really like is something that gives me the advantages of smartphone, ebook reader and tablet in one product. I know that is not really possible, of course. But the idea of finding something with the display quality of a Kindle (for book reading) that could also browse the web efficiently is something I've considered. So has the idea of a cheap smartphone for the occasional look at the web.

But so far, I'm not convinced about any particular product.
Last edited by: tyro on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 12:45
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - DP
The big advantage of the basic Kindle is the screen which, not being backlit, is no more tiring on the eyes than a printed sheet. It works perfectly in direct sunlight, where backlit screens do not. It is also much easier on batteries. I use my Kindle most evenings, put it in airplane mode unless downloadng and I charge it about once a month.

As Zero says, they are also great to just chuck in a bag or case for a business trip or a hoilday. SWMBO bought me mine for Christmas 2011, and I've used it far more than I thought I would.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Focusless
>> The big advantage of the basic Kindle is the screen which, not being backlit, is
>> no more tiring on the eyes than a printed sheet.

Ah well that's where we differ - I have trouble reading anything with book sized print that isn't backlit; I'd pretty much stopped reading books (and newspapers, magazines) before the iPhone arrived. It's got me reading again.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - rtj70
In bright sunlight the screen on a Kindle e-ink based reader is superior to a tablet or smart phone. It does not reflect like a mirror the same way as an LCD screen's glass. And a charge will last a couple weeks. But in low light conditions you need alternative light and the backlit Kindle would be good but it's £109.

One reason I got a second tablet was reading books in the lounge and better access to internet on holiday. I've used the tablet and kindle so far..... Tablet with max brightness still not great next to the pool here.

And the tablet does need charging much more often. Although I've fiddled and got much better battery life out of my Nook running Android 4.3.

Another tip.... A smartphone with infra red can control the aircon ;-) There's an app for that.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - rtj70
To answer the op.... Offer is probably because new kindles on the way. Tablets from Amazon are definite but I'd expect a new e-ink reader or two as well.
>> To answer the op....

Thank you, sir.
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Fursty Ferret
The Kobo (as sold in WH Smiths) is a solid and dependable eReader IMHO. You get a backlit screen for the same money as the cheap Kindle, books are about the same price, and you can borrow from your local library with it.

I have the Aura HD and love it. You can still buy from Amazon and convert the books with a tool called DeDRM.

Edit: Actually, the backlit Kobos are rather expensive now. Get a Kindle.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 27 Sep 13 at 17:48
 Kindle & ebook reader prices - Mike H
>> I've never had (or used) a smartphone, a tablet / pad, or an ebook reader.
>> (I guess that makes me an oddity - perhaps even unique! - on this forum.)
>> Nor have I been able to decide whether I want one or any of them.
>>

No, you aren't alone. I have none of those either, only rarely do I think "if only I had a smartphone". But I bought my wife one of the basic kindles about 18 months ago and she is rarely parted from it, despite normally hating technology (the number of epithets she can summon up when the laptop misbehaves is nobody's business!). I can see the benefits of carrying round a library in a slim package, but I'd really rather read a book.

For holidays I normally just take the laptop as we always go by car, but we also have a netbook which is more than adequate, and useful in more ways than many other single-use devices.

Latest Forum Posts