Computer Related > ipad problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 16

ipad problems - Paul Robinson
My Wife's ipad (which is just over a year old) is freezing then running very, very slowly. It started yesterday when itunes offered her some music to download and she had accepted an invitation to update her apps.

We've tried rebooting, closing apps etc. Did a usb connection to itunes on her laptop and tried to do a restore resulting in a message 'could not restore - unknown error (3194)'.

So, no fix yet - any ideas?
 ipad problems - No FM2R
It may well be that it was dead slow because it was downloading a bunch of updates - perhaps including the new operating system.

Anything could have happened now though. Perhaps a factory reset and then restore?
Yes, trouble is it freezes when I open settings to try a reset and I'm getting that error message when I try to do it via itunes .....
 ipad problems - Zero
you need to do a factory reset. Hope she had her stuff backed up on the cloud
 ipad problems - Zero
thats not a factory reset

Hold down the top “Sleep/Wake” button until the red slider appears & proceed to turn the iPad off
While holding the bottom “Home” button down, reinsert the USB connector and the iPad will turn back on
When the screen shows a message saying “Connect to iTunes”, let go of the “Home” button
Launch iTunes again and it will initiate the Recovery Mode process.
You will likely have to wait several minutes for the reset to take place, but when finished you will receive a message that the reset was successful and the iPad will reboot itself
You will now have a blank iPad with factory settings

Restore it from the cloud.
Sorry Zero, but it got as far as starting the recovery mode process, then came up with the same ' the ipad 'ipad' could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (3194)' message!
 ipad problems - No FM2R
Is there somethign here...

thehowto.wikidot.com/put-ipad-into-recovery-mode
 ipad problems - Zero
>> Sorry Zero, but it got as far as starting the recovery mode process, then came
>> up with the same ' the ipad 'ipad' could not be restored. an unknown error
>> occurred (3194)' message!

Thats the standard "cant talk to pad" problem..

The recovery process is * VERY * picky about USB.

make sure you use a genuine Apple USB cable

try different USB ports and make sure the driver loads ("bing bong" and Itunes comes up)
Thanks guys, but Factory reset and restore now done and it's STILL running incredibly slowly argh ....
I've had it on charge and it's been doing random things like suddenly displaying photos! As it's all so odd Apple have now decided they will try and sort it out - so thanks for your time everyone.
 ipad problems - Focusless
>> As it's all so odd Apple have now decided they will try and sort it out

...for free?
Yes, but it is only just out of warranty!
 ipad problems - Rudedog
Maybe slightly off topic, but I had the same sort of issue with my iPhone, while charging it would start doing random things and if you tried to use the touch screen it would do anything but what you asked it to do!, in the end I found out (maybe from here) that you have to use the USB charger that came with the product, I think I was using the identical looking charger from my iPod but for some reason it 'hated' my iPhone., I've now marked them so I know which is which.
 ipad problems - VxFan
>> that you have to use the USB charger that came with the product,

Really?

I only use the default charger when I'm at home for my iphone 4. In the car I've got a Tesco branded charger and at work I use my Huawei mi-fi usb charger and a 50p usb lead from ebay.
 ipad problems - No FM2R
We have iPods, iPhones and iPads. I've not noticed it on the phones and pads, but the iPods are dead picky over USB lead and charger and refuse to work quite often on pattern stuff.
 ipad problems - Focusless
>> Yes, but it is only just out of warranty!

Even so, good result!
Had an email from Apple saying they are shipping a replacement ipad - seems the problem was terminal....
Latest Forum Posts