Computer Related > Laptop connection to uni ethernet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 11

Laptop connection to uni ethernet - Fenlander
My online connection experience has only ever been with modem/broadband hub connected to phone line or wi-fi.

Daughter goes to uni in 5 days and they have free internet in their rooms by what is being called an ethernet connection.

Her laptop is this one and I wonder if the ethernet connection on the laptop is the square socket on the left of this image of the rear of the laptop?

images03.olx.in/ui/10/21/25/1370611778_517921625_3-Dell-inspiron-N5110-15r-Switchable-Core-i5-2nd-gen-4GB-500GB-156-Led-23999-Computers-Laptops-Accessories.jpg

Assuming so and bearing in mind the uni rooms are brand new with all wiring in trunking to desktop sockets what cable will I need... and when it's plugged in will the internet be there or does the laptop have to be prompted to make a connection to get online?

Laptop connection to uni ethernet - Bromptonaut
I've not looked at picture but from description that's an ethernet port. Use control panel etc to check it's not been disabled.

You'll need a simple CAT5 cable to connect. Uni may supply but don't rely on it. Such leads are grossly overpriced in the Currys, Maplin etc and if you've time to get one on line do it. Otherwise it's possible that DIY sheds sell them, as they do with TV fly leads etc, at a reasonable price.

Usually the laptop will detect the connection and take the user straight to the uni's log on page. If anything else is needed they'll tell you. There'll probably be a techie form the Uni's IT team there to help.
 Laptop connection to uni ethernet - RattleandSmoke
Unless the laptop is an antique it will have an ethernet socket most have since about the year 2000. The cable she will need is just a bog standard ethernet patch cable, make sure it doesn't say cross over but cross overs are rare.

You can get them from the poundshop or any where really. Don't pay more than £3 for one.
OK thanks... could someone link to the cable you are describing... either an image or one in an online shop.
Loads here, although probably cheaper to go to a local shop because of delivery.

www.ebuyer.com/search?q=ethernet+cable
Thanks but that link leads to many cables with different cat 5 or 6 references and other specs that I'm not familiar with. Could you pin it down to one basic cable that would do.
They are all the same, as longs as the connector is RJ45 it will work. CAT6 might be better as they support a faster data rate, but it depends if the halls support it but either way if it doesn't a CAT6 cable will still work fine.

www.ebuyer.com/130686-xenta-cat6-snagless-utp-patch-cable-yellow-3m-plex-0155

Basically as long as it has an RJ45 connector on both sides, and it doesn't say cross over it will work. The ones you get at Poundland work perfectly.

The differences in spec are only really an issue when you're catting out a building, e.g wiring in the network plates on the wall.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 12:32
 Laptop connection to uni ethernet - RichardW
You may well have one laying about FL - usually one is supplied with ADSL modem / routers, as they normally recommend a hard connection for first set up. Think I've got a spare one lying about surplus from original (now dead!) router - I'll check.
Ahh that's a good thought... I'll have a look in the misc spare cables box because we did have some connection for the PC in our temp rental house that was a thing where it transmitted via mains adaptors (through the mains) and I think they might have had ethernet connections in which case I still have the cables.
 Laptop connection to uni ethernet - VxFan
Can you not hook up a wireless router to the ethernet socket?

I know that you can link wireless routers together in this manner. If it is the case then she may well then benefit from wifi rather than having a cable connecting the laptop to the internet.

EDIT - looks like it's possible
uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100912171644AA1Iz8L
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 13:42
 Laptop connection to uni ethernet - Bromptonaut
>> Can you not hook up a wireless router to the ethernet socket?
>>

A cable router would do that? Be careful in a Uni hall though. If, as my daughter had to, the student is paying for access (£120 a year I think) then you'll need to think about security as well. Also, if 20 students on a floor and 20 more on each of floors above/below go for DIY WiFi there'd be lot of contention for each WiFi channel - nothing would work?
Thanks to that prompt from Richard I found 3 suitable cables in my box of things left over from different installations over the years. I even have a heavy duty one 3m long with a clear covering showing the silver foil shielding below. Looks like that will make the bass tighter, treble clearer and the blacks blacker.

I know the uni has wi-fi in the main buildings but it seems these new flats some 10mins walk across the grounds have this ethernet as the main connection. Appreciate the idea about setting up her own wi-fi but there is so much to think about on the day we drop her off we'll keep it basic for now.

Access is free for the standard service and £36/yr for a service thats faster than she needs so we kept to the free.

Mind you yesterday's shop for "essential" stuff to take exceeded £350 and I'm off out for more in a minute so nothing feels free at the moment.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 24 Sep 13 at 14:11
Latest Forum Posts