Computer Related > Program shutting down on one PC only. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 26

Program shutting down on one PC only. - -
After some thoughts here please.

SWMBO has lots of stuff on her PC, one is a program called ''sure cuts a lot'' which she uses to make and merge various designs and then gets her card cutting machine to cut the design out.

Just recently the program has taken to closing instantly whenever she tries to 'import' SVG files of shapes/designs to cut out (from files already on the PC), this appears to be an intermittent fault but has got worse this weekend for no obvious reason.

Now we have 3 PC's in the house all running Windows 7.

She has downloaded the same program onto the other 2 PC's and on both its working fine.

We've tried to compare the various settings on the two PC's that are sat side by side, but haven't found anything obviously wrong.

Any thoughts please, and remember i'm a thicko and SWM whilst far better than me with PC's is no IT expert.

Thanks for reading.
 Program shutting down on one PC only. - No FM2R
Anything else misbehaving? Or at least behaving differently?

What USB devices do you have plugged into the wife's machine? Anything particularly different from the others or changed recently?

Is it practical to uninstall and re-install on the troublesome machine?
p.s. tried running checkdisk or similar? Just in case.
No, all systems working normally.

No USB connections changed in recent times, speakers and cutting machine and mouse connected by USB.

Program delected and re-installed, PC restarted etc.

Security up to date and regularly scanned/cleaned.

Whats ''checkdisc'' please?

Thankyou.
www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
>> www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
>>

Thanks will run that asap.
 Program shutting down on one PC only. - rtj70
Have you tried the obvious uninstall on the problem PC and then reinstall?

There must be an error on screen or in a log file you can share. Even if it's something out of Windows event viewer.
 Program shutting down on one PC only. - RattleandSmoke
Can be a million things causing this, if it is just that program though it is likely to be a problem with the installation. I would always test the RAM and hard drive and check the motherboard for leaking capacitors just to rule out any obvious hardware problems before trying to diagnose it.

Program shutting down on one PC only. - Zero
the clue is the "just recently" Something has changed, on that one pc. Installed something recently on that one? all of them set to the same windows update routine?

You are going to need to dive into the windows error logs, and look for entries timestamped at the time of the failure.

the 'how to" is better explained here than me telling you how to

windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-information-appears-in-event-logs-event-viewer

Tell us what you get for the right timestamp in application and system events.

Edit and yes, as the others say a reinstall of the affected program usually works wonders. make sure you delete properly first through "add remove programs"
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 21:39
Righto were in the event logger.

Lots of events listed, but all seem to be the same.

Session Microsoft security client OOBE stopped due to follwoing error 0x000000D

Source Kernel event tracing.

Thankyou chaps.
 Program shutting down on one PC only. - rtj70
What about application logs. This error might have nothing to do with the app failing. Fixes to this problem appears to be (from Google) to delete an OOBE related file.
Gb

You need to wait till the app fails, immediately check the time on the pc clock, and then look in the logs for entries at that time.

The logs are full, and constantly filling, with stuff all the time. You need to look for the last specific confirmed timestamp of failure. Application and system logs required.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 22:05
Can you cause the problem on purpose?

If so, that'll make life easier.

I'd follow this order just because for me it'd be the easiest approach.

1) Chkdsk
2) Install/Re-install
3) Come back here after next failure with App & System logs
>> 1) Chkdsk
>> 2) Install/Re-install
>> 3) Come back here after next failure with App & System logs

The checkdisc hasn't worked out quite how the geek feller said, but we'll persevere with that.

Will probably let in run overnite if we manage to kick start it and then reinstall in the morning.

Yes its easy to cause the problem because its now a permanet fixture, soon as She tries to import the program closes immediately.
Ok chaps, here we go.

Application.

The software protection service has started

Sourse security-spp
Event id 902
Op Code Info
Task none
Keywords classic

System.

''The software protection service entered the running state''

Log name system
Source service control manager
event ID 7036
Level information
OpCode info
Task category none
Keywords classic

Phew, need a lie down in a darkened room now.
Turn off the software protection service

details here

en.kioskea.net/faq/20882-windows-7-disable-the-software-protection-service

Also suggest you give the program admin rights, right click the application icon and "run as administrator"
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 22:35
Software protection off.

Program given admin rights.

Reboot.

Same problem, same event messages.

damn.
me stumped, cant do more remotely. Spoken to the maker?

my last resort would be to revert to a previous checkpoint. chkdsk might fix it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 22:57
>> me stumped, cant do more remotely. Spoken to the maker?
>>

Hardly surprising really, like trying to diagnose a fine tuning problem on a car from 500 miles away.
SWM has emailed the maker of the program.

>> my last resort would be to revert to a previous checkpoint. chkdsk might fix it.
>>
Yes thats going to be the next step.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions with this chaps, might well end up swapping PC's about if chkdsk doesn't work, whilst that sounds easy you wouldn't believe just how many fonts and designs are on the present PC SWM uses.
>>might well end up swapping PC's

A few other things to try yet...

Shots in the dark;

Can you import different formats and does the behaviour change? (i.e. some fail, some not).

Is it only existing files which cause it to fail? What happens if you create and then import a new file?

Is it just if you import them from the disk? What happens if you import them from a USB stick (for example)?

Is it just importing, what happens if you export?

There must be those and other things that you could mess around with, trying to narrow down a cause?

What's the chkdsk error?

Are you sure that nothing has changed? It may well be completely unassociated with this software or the error.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Oct 13 at 00:59

>> Can you import different formats and does the behaviour change? (i.e. some fail, some not).
>> Is it only existing files which cause it to fail? What happens if you create
>> and then import a new file?

The second she clicks the import button, before even selecting an item form her stable it shuts.

>> Is it just if you import them from the disk? What happens if you import
>> them from a USB stick (for example)?
>> Is it just importing, what happens if you export?

Same thing, shuts instantly upon clicking the button.

>> What's the chkdsk error?

Haven't run that yet, overnite hopefully.

>> Are you sure that nothing has changed?

Not as we can tell, but i'm useless with these things and SWM is well out of her comfort zone.

Checkdisk next.

Thanks again.
Ok, chkdsk to check the disk.

Then you need to uninstall the program, reboot, then re-install.

Make *SURE* that you back up all the data and other files before you do so. You don't want to uninstall and then find it deletes half her patterns in the process.

If you can, a full backup first would probably be wise. It depends how sure you are that you can protect the needed files. You could even just copy the directory(ies) to a temporary directory before uninstalling.

If you have already installed the program on another computer you should be able to manually copy the directory from this machine on to a stick and then simply overwrite the documents/ files/ directories on the destination machine and it should work by just adding stuff and avoids you needing to know what is important, what is data and what is not.

I've tried to make that clearer, I know I failed and it isn't. Sorry. If you can't work out what I mean, let me know.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 22 Sep 13 at 23:38
Ok, chkdsk done plus reinstall, no change.

SWM is indeed as we speak putting all her files onto a stick and is going to swap PC's around.

Maybe we'll get our PC guru to take a butchers when he's about, but for the cost of a refurbed system it might be just as easy and as cost effective to replace.

We have two Dell refurbs that are performing very well, another one and we could call 'em the three cheeks of the same backside..;)

Thanks for all your ideas and help chaps, very much appreciated.
Files all transferred.

PC's will be swapped later in the day after grandaughter has gone home.

Many thanks for your time trouble and suggestions.
 Program shutting down on one PC only. - devonite
Not sure if this applies to your system, but what I can gather from a very quick "Google" on the subject is that since the firmware was updated to V2.43, any SVG files created with SCAL2 will crash the program. There is probably a solution on Craft-Edge Web-forum, but you have to register and sign in.

forum.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19596
There is probably a solution
>> on Craft-Edge Web-forum, but you have to register and sign in.

SWM has been there done that, the same imports actions on the other two PCs operate with no problems at all, but thanks for the suggestion.

Interestingly a message has appeared for the first time in the bottom RH corner of the screen

''windows 7 build 7601 this copy of windows is not genuine''

SWM has never seen this message before, and this Acer PC was bought over the counter from Comet, very odd.

Its no real problem as the PC's will swap over and hopefully all will be well, if the Acer plays up further it will add itself to the discard pile.
To bring this up to date, the program started working again for no reason.

However, the PC is showing other signs of stalling so its probably past its best, so before it dies completely its being replaced...hope SWMBO doesn't get any similar ideas about me..:-)

So, another Dell refurb ordered (3400 this time) and this one can see its days out connected to the big telly for 4oD other online viewing and some of the American serial drivel we enjoy via Couch Tuner.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 2 Oct 13 at 13:32
Latest Forum Posts