Computer Related > Is this motherboard DDR3 or DDR2? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 5

Is this motherboard DDR3 or DDR2? - RattleandSmoke
Possibly one for Zero, Rob, Focus and anybody else who might know the answer.

I need a replacement board for a customers computer, I have had it on the bench for a few days now and not been able to source a new board. I have just bought this in haste, as it is the same model number but the board I have has four DDR3 slots. This only one has two.

From the spacings in the picture, the slots look more like DDR2 to me, but it can be hard to tell from a photograph.

The buyer states it is DDR3, but most with just two slots are all DDR2. Also mine says AM3 on the board but AM2 on the ZIF socket. I assumed this was a mistake and this is in fact AM3 but I am right in thinking this board is actually a DDR2/AM2 board and thus no use to me? Even though it is the same motherboard number?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271279866782&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

I can see it will physically fit in the case, the IO ports are identical. The processor is an AMD X2 215 which I believe has both DDR2 and DDR3 controllers.

If this board is actually a DDR2 even though it is a private buy it now auction I assume I can tell the customer I want to cancel because it is not as described? The problem I have is so many boards with the same DA061 078L description seem to be very different. Even if I can get it to activate with DDR2 RAM, it has 4GB of RAM which would be very expensive buy as DDR2 and the system is also downgraded.

Looking at the spaces it really does like a DDR2 board . And PS I cannot simply buy any motherboard because the IO sheild is built in, and also Microsoft OEM regulations mean once you change the board it becomes a new computer, but you can replace a board for one that is identical or very similar providing the old one has failed (as in this case) and the new board is not an upgrade in anyway.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 18 Sep 13 at 20:45
 Is this motherboard DDR3 or DDR2? - Zero
Few things.

Its an OEM board, its perfectly feasible ( and i have seen them) to have two DDR3 slots. - Ie Single channel.

Even if its not, DDR3, DDR2 memory is pretty cheap second hand, you probably have the dimms knocking about in your spares box

The customer will never ever know the difference.

And re the MS licensing rules? Forget them when it comes to repairing genuine licensed machines, no-one (not even redmond) gives a flying fig about what motherboard replaces it. All they care about is One physical machine - one physical license. If this one does need to pass the genuine advantage test again because of a significant change in hardware it will do it automatically and happily, and if it doesn't a phone call will fix it.
Yep plenty of DDR3 OEM boards have only two slots, what I meant was most Foxcon DA061 078L boards with two slots are DDR2.

As for the rules well a bit of common sense applies, lets just say if the IO plate was removable without taking a dremel to it I would not have been too bothered about getting the exact board.

I have plenty of DDR2s 1GBs knocking around but would need to test it all first not sure if I have any 2GB modules though.

Of course I would probably have to reinstall the operating system too, as the chipset would be different :(.
 Is this motherboard DDR3 or DDR2? - Zero

>> Of course I would probably have to reinstall the operating system too, as the chipset
>> would be different :(.

Give it a boot first, it might well boot in safe mode, and if you get that far, its fixable.
I suppose I may as well risk it, if the worse comes to the worse I can always resell the board. I have cloned the hard drive anyway.
 Is this motherboard DDR3 or DDR2? - Pat
>>I suppose I may as well risk it,<<

Did Rattle actually say that?:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts