Computer Related > Computer crashed Computing Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 5

Computer crashed - ....
I've got a 5+ year old HP Pavilion a6539 PC which froze last Saturday evening. It did the same thing again this evening. Both times about 3 or 4 minutes after startup.
No scans running at the time, started internet radio and the sound just froze on a buzz, screen froze, clock in the gadgets stopped. Only way out was hold down the power on button for 6 seconds or so to force a stop.

On both occasions it has been fine after reboot. Nothing in the logfiles, run CPU test checks out OK. I'm thinking mobo or PSU. How can I find out which it is or is it not worth the bother and just get a new one.

BIOS battery was swapped about 3 years ago but not losing time or complaining at startup.

For the techies:
Benicia Intel G33 & ICH9R Asus 775 socket mobo
Q6600 processor
8GB DDR2 RAM (PC2-6400)
300W PSU - always thought this was a bit borderline for the original HD3600 Graphic card fitted.
 Computer crashed - Fullchat
Is the internal fan working? I had this with a work laptop and it was simply overheating.
 Computer crashed - ....
Yes, there are four fans in there, One on the case, one on the processor, one in the PSU and the fourth I added when I swapped out the original HD3650 graphic card which came with a fan, the replacement being a hair shirt eco-friendly non-fan equipped job.
I disconnected this fourth fan as it is not really needed.

Running RealTemp 3.70 shows processor running at c.50C which it has done since day one when surfing/doing very little. I've seen it as high as 89C when running PassMark stress test software.
 Computer crashed - Zero
If the 300 watt supply was powerful enough 5 years ago, it still is now unless you have added anything.

Remove the memory dimms, blow out the sockets, and refit the dimms. Remove any cards from the slots, blow out and refit.

Then see how you go from there. I'm guessing its not heat because its only a few mins after startup.
 Computer crashed - ....
A year ago I added a BluRay drive and 64 GB SSD OS drive.
I'll give it a blow. I usually give it a clean out every year, it does not get moved or bumped and sits out of the way of little 'uns etc...
 Computer crashed - ....
Couple of memory cards were loose, clips had released and took no effort to remove.

I'll keep an eye on it for now see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.
Latest Forum Posts