Computer Related > Wire Networking Query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 8

Wire Networking Query - Fullchat
I've been into Maplins today and they were as much help as a chocolate fireguard.

This is my dilema for the computer savvy on here:

In the hallway I have my router which serves all the wireless gear in the house. It is plugged into the telephone extension with a pigtail micro filter. The Imac is hard wired to the router, the cable running around the edge of the carpet and into the study.

I want the cable to run under the floor as we shall be having a laminate type floor fitted.

So I want an out socket on the wall for phone and ADSL and then want to go back into the wall (preferably) through the same fitting with the Cat 45 cable and surface through a wall socket (yet to be fitted) in the study.

So what do I need? Am I right by looking at RJ45 cable and fittings because I've seen Cat 5 and Cat 6 products? All help appreciated :)
 Wire Networking Query - Zero
So lets get this right.

you want to move the router?

Your router is plugged into the phone pigtail via an thin RJ11 cable. Thats your "ADSl in" to the router, the Imac is plugged into the router by a thicker Rj45 cable, probably cat 5 (cat 5 is all you need - cat 6 is for much higher speeds than you use)

If it were me, I would simply drill a hole in the wall behind the socket, run a small length of telephone cable from the existing socket* to a new one on the other side of the wall, and fit a new telephone faceplate - with BT and RJ11 sockets on. Then move the router into the study and plug it into the new phone socket.

*connected to existing connections

Make sense?

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 13 Sep 13 at 20:16
Err sort of. No I want to leave the router in its existing position in the hallway as it is a central point for the house. All I am wanting to do is feed the RJ 45 cable back into the wall and under the floor and then back out into the study (a distance of about 6M).
I want as clean a look as possible without chopping in a RJ45 socket female adjacent to the telephone extension/ADSL outlet next to the router. I think I'm being over optimistic unless there is such a wall plate on the market.
So its telephone/ADSL (RJ11) into router out and RJ45 in on one single socket plate. says he hopefully. I think I am clarifying this now in my own head :S
you can get professional modular face plates, that accept various types of socket to be inserted, you'll have to be ok with connecting cat 5 cable to sockets, you'll need and IDC insertion tool.

www.labgear.co.uk/category/outlets-faceplates/modular-faceplates/1007/1038/

Youll find the stuff you need here

One Rj45, One BT socket (BS6312 431A)one RJ11.

I just tried to check RS for you, but the damn web site is down would you believe.
Thats the ticket Z thanks :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 13 Sep 13 at 21:22
Oh, BTW, I had assumed you had considered the obvious use of mains power networking, or stuffing a Wifi Dongle in the Mac?
Rigged up for mains networking and of course could switch to wi-fi but my understanding is that hard wire is marginally faster. I stand to be corrected.

>> is that hard wire is marginally faster. I stand to be corrected.

Depends, but it mainly depends on what you are doing with it. Unless you are using the Mac for file transfer to the other machines in the house, Wifi is fast enough, certainly faster than your ADSl, which is the bottleneck.
Latest Forum Posts