Computer Related > Flash - no sound at start Miscellaneous
Thread Author: JohnM{P} Replies: 3

Flash - no sound at start - JohnM{P}
When watching video (eg BBC F1 clips, YouTube, road tests on other sites, etc), my Vista Ultra laptop will often start playing with no sound. I've discovered I can get the sound by right clicking the video window, choosing the Flash Player Settings, and then going to the Microphone tab. I don't have to change anything, just have to access the microphone tab!

This is intermittant but I cannot recognise any consistant pattern, however it happens the majority of times. (As a variation to the sound/no sound, sometimes there is no sound during a short intro commercial, with normal audio starting with the main clip!)

My Windows7 Prof laptop behaves perfectly and I didn't have this problem with an XP machine either.
Any ideas, anyone?
 Flash - no sound at start - Focusless
Latest version of flash player, drivers etc.?
 Flash - no sound at start - Zero
You probably have another window open that has access to the sound chip. A Browser with a youtube clip, or a Media player clip.

Some versions of the realtek chip/drivers cant handle more than one input.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 30 May 10 at 17:49
 Flash - no sound at start - JohnM{P}
Thanks for your quick replies.

Having rebooted the troublesome (Vista) machine, I thought that Zero was on to something as the clip in a 2nd browser was silent - but I cannot reproduce that, indeed I can get clips in IE and FF both playing simultaneously!
(Vista m/c has Realtek, W7 m/c has ATI High Def device)

I was going to say that I have the same (latest) version of Flash on both machines, but on double checking, I have realised that whilst this is so for Firefox, IE has 2 different (earlier) versions on the machines so that is something else I'll bear in mind when I get time to check out further (various combinations of reboot, then which browser used first, etc).

(Haven't worked out how to see the plugins for SRWare Iron yet; as an aside, it seems to be much lighter on cpu resource than FF/IE but flakier plus it has problems with many forms).
Thanks, JohnM
Latest Forum Posts