Computer Related > Ipod and new Mac Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 15

Ipod and new Mac - BiggerBadderDave
I had an iMac fail some time back, the one with my iTunes and 7000 tunes on it.

I'm just getting round to sorting iTunes on the replacement Mac, I've "enabled iTunes for this computer" as one of my 5 selected computers and my itunes account is up and running on the new mac.

What I need to do is sync my ipod to itunes thereby copying everything from the ipod to the mac. How can I be sure this will happen when what normally happens is the reverse i.e. itunes (which is empty) being copied on to the ipod and therefore losing the lot.

This is obviously critical, this is a 25 year old cd collection and a few hundred downloads.

Many thanks

Dave
 Ipod and new Mac - Iffy
Did you have a back-up of the old machine, which would include your music collection?

If so, you can import the iTunes file on the back-up into your new empty iTunes using a 'copy folder' option in the iTunes program.

I was just getting round to doing that...

Actually I did and onto another mac, but there's year's gap and probably a hundred or so downloads since, plus it doesn't keep the playlists which I've spent years fine-tuning.

I'd rather sinc with the ipod if that's possible, but can do as you suggest and it wouldn't be too catastrophic....
 Ipod and new Mac - Iffy
...I'd rather sinc with the ipod if that's possible...

I also would like to find out if you can dump the contents of an iPod into an empty iTunes.

Ipod and new Mac - Bagpuss
As far as I know Apple do not support uploading songs from an iPod onto an Apple computer. If the iPod has been formatted by a Windows PC you can access the music directories by switching the iPod into disc mode and accessing it like an external hard drive, but again, I don't think this works on an Apple formatted device.

Your best option would appear to be using one of those third party software products such as this one.

www.ipod-to-computer.net/ipod-to-mac-transfer.html

Apple tells you using these things will cause the end of the world. Not tried it myself - I eventually managed to "persuade" iTunes to reload my MP3s from a backup hard drive when I reformatted my iBook - also not as easy as you might expect.
 Ipod and new Mac - Zero
Just one example of "you do it the jobskensian way or you dont do it at all" mantra of Apple products.
Indeed. I've paid for everything. There isn't a single illegal download on there. I should be able to move files to and from any of my computers and any of my MP3 players, as and when I like, with minimum fuss.
 Ipod and new Mac - Bagpuss
Seems to be an affliction with the manufacturers of MP3 players.

My sister has an old Sony MP3 player and wanted to transfer the music from this, to a PC, and then onto a new iPod. The Sony software would not allow uploading. I tried various bits of third party software but was not able to find anything which could access more than a fraction of the several hundred CDs which my sister had spent the previous years storing there.

I then, of course, discovered that the few files I'd managed to upload were not in MP3, AAC or any other format recognised by iTunes but in something called ATRAC. I didn't find anything which would reliably convert the ATRAC files into something usable and eventually gave up.
Last edited by: Bagpuss on Sat 29 May 10 at 18:33
 Ipod and new Mac - Zero
>> Seems to be an affliction with the manufacturers of MP3 players.

Only a few. Mine is seen just like a hard disk (because it is) and can transfer either way.
 Ipod and new Mac - swiss tony
>> I should be able to move files to and from any of my computers and any of my MP3 players, as and when I like, with minimum fuss.
>>
Thats one reason Im no fan of anything apple.
seems to me they go out their way to make things difficult. I once loaded Itunes on my Win2000 machine, plugged in my daughters Ipod, and got a message stating I needed to use the latest version of Itunes with the Ipod.
'strange' thought I, as I had just downloaded directly of the web. anyway, I followed the link, downloaded the new version, stated to install it.
'BLUE SCREEN'
weird thought I... rebooted the computer to find....... it wouldn't!
I ended up reinstalling Windows.
Seems the version I was trying to use (using an update link on Itunes) was for XP.
that was the 1st and last time I loaded Itunes on my machine!

and.... I will not give apple any of my hard earned cash, ever after that!
 Ipod and new Mac - Netsur
Yes

We have an ipod which I refuse to use and iTunes which makes WMP look like a totally logical piece of easy to use software.
 Ipod and new Mac - smokie
When you say it failed, what failed? With the right cables and connectors you could take the old hard disk and attach to something new and probably recover your music.

If I were you I would de-install iTunes until you have recovered your data, as I once had a similar experience and accidentally wiped my iPod when I hooked it up to a machine that had iTunes but not my music library.
 Ipod and new Mac - rtj70
If this is one of the newer iMacs, if it was not the hard disk that failed then with the right know how it is possible to get at the hard disk to swap it out. First step is to use suction cups to remove the glass front of the iMac which is held in place by strong magnets. Unless of course it was the disk that failed.
 Ipod and new Mac - swiss tony
>> the glass front of the iMac which is held in place by strong magnets. Unless
>> of course it was the disk that failed.
>>
Strong magnets in a computer??

I thought magnets and computers were a no-no?
It was a Mac Mini. I still have it, I can start it as a target disk with a firewire cable but I can't see or retrieve any data on it. I took to a Mac service who weren't very helpful but I think I've found a guy who reckons he will still be able to pull data off it and if not, can rip tunes off the ipod itself.
 Ipod and new Mac - rtj70
See step 6... okay there's 14 magnets:

www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-20-Inch/658/1
Latest Forum Posts