Computer Related > PC slow to boot/shut down Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 8

PC slow to boot/shut down - borasport
Seriously slow - 20, 30 minutes to boot or shutdown
Its a 3 yr old windows machine, windows 7, 4gb ram, 1tb hd

Returned from a fortnights holiday and booted it up on monday, booted it up and walked away, came back to find it claiming it couldn't boot and was doing some diagnostics. I've tried to work out whats going on
At boot, nothing happens for a few minutes, then prior to windows starting, there is a message about not being able to boot and offering 2 options
1 -run diagnostics to fix - this takes 20 mins+ and doesnt find any answers, you can only close it and shut down
2 - start windows normally this works, but takes 20minutes or more
Option 1 has suggested a system recovery to fix, but suspiciously there is always only restore point avalable and it is timed close to the time when the current boot has been started
There were multiple m$oft updates installed on monday, which i have uninstalled to see if they were the cause, but it doesnt appear to make any difference. Also it claims to have installed an updated to silverlight on monday which cannot be uninstalled
Anybody got any ideas?
 PC slow to boot/shut down - Kevin
>Anybody got any ideas?

Dodgy hard disk? Is it very active?
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 24 Jul 13 at 22:15
 PC slow to boot/shut down - Zero
yup, the hard drive is failing.

YOu could try doing a full format and then re-install, but i suspect it will need a hard drive.
Chkdisk has found some issues,but that will take a couple of hours to run then wake me up when it completes and reboots at 3 in the morning

All the data was backed up before we went on holiday. 'Spose i'd better look at recovery options. As its a Aldi special I'm not sure if it came with o/s disks or not. The recovery partition on the hdd is no use if the disk fails
 PC slow to boot/shut down - smokie
Bit puzzling that you are getting a message that it can't boot, then it does. From memory, once it's tried booting and failed you don't usually have a choice to go ahead and boot from that disk - that's when the Windows 7 CD is handy to repair the installation.

Hope the chkdsk sorts it out, but the fault could indicate a failing disk so even if chkdsk does sort it out do keep doing those backups...
 PC slow to boot/shut down - devonite
Remove everything from the usb ports, see if it boots in safe-mode, if it does disable any Apps/progs that start at boot up, (via Msconfig) run all your malware/av scans. if it boots ok in safe mode, fault is probably software related, - a hanging update, corrupted app driver maybe.
chkdisk has made a significant difference to boot/shutdown times

now to create new system restore point, check my backups, then think about re-installing the windows updates and cloning the disk
 PC slow to boot/shut down - spamcan61
As you're running Win7 you can use Event Viewer to analyse which part of bootup is taking longer than normal:-

www.howtogeek.com/72420/how-to-use-event-viewer-to-find-your-pcs-boot-time/

PC slow to boot/shut down - TeeCee
>> Bit puzzling that you are getting a message that it can't boot, then it does.
>>

Not with Vista and later.
They run a small boot partition for the bootloader which hands over control to the OS boot process almost immediately. The OS fails to boot and errors, the machine resets. The bootloader sees the failure and automagically fires up the diagnostics in the boot partition.

Some time later, when it's fixed itself, it boots.....

For determining whether the disk is iffy, look at the SMART statistics. A high read retry count and / or anything in the bad sector count means it's time to swap it.
Chkdsk running is more usually due to banjaxed file indexing or orphaned space, especially if it fixes everything. No. 1 cause of that is power off rather than controlled shutdown.
Latest Forum Posts