Computer Related > IPad vs laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 36

IPad vs laptop - legacylad
Now, I'm just about the least techno person in the world, so what is the 'big deal' with the Ipad? Apart from it being slightly easier to carry around. If you are a weakling.

A friend offered me her Ipad 2, 16Gb, WiFi 3g for £250 today. She is on Vodaphone. I use the Orange network so it may not even work for me. Being a relative simpleton it appears not to do anything my 14" Samsung Q330 can do. And it cannot play my DVD collection which I often take with me on long haul holidays abroad.

So, just out of curiosity, what is the big attraction, compared to a fairly powerful, smaller laptop with an Core 3 processor such as in my Samsung?
 IPad vs laptop - Manatee
Well, the thing is, it's about the Apple experience. There's nothing wrong with your logic - you're just not "there" yet.

As explained by an Apple store employee to somebody I know!
 IPad vs laptop - No FM2R
Fashion.
 IPad vs laptop - Manatee
>> Fashion.

I see you're not there yet either!
 IPad vs laptop - movilogo
iPad is content consumption device while laptop is for content creation..

Of course if only content you create is typing letters then a tablet is all you need.
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
But 250 quid for a second hand iPad is OTT. And if you have a laptop.... do you need a tablet?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 21 Jul 13 at 23:59
 IPad vs laptop - TeeCee
>> Of course if only content you create is typing letters then a tablet is all you need.
>>

If you are typing, then a tablet is definately not what you need! Touchscreens are utterly dreadful to type on and the keyboard takes up so much screen you can't see the document layout properly. Editing what you just typed is a real chore, as cursor positioning is fairly random in the absence of a mouse and/or cursor keys.

Typing letters is laptop / desktop territory.

Of course, you can add a bluetooth keyboard and a stand to a tablet, but then you've just bought a hideously inconvenient laptop.
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
For starters you sound like you don't need a tablet and so that's a starter! What would you do that you cannot already do?

It also sounds like this iPad is a more expensive 3G variety and so your friend probably wants more for that cost.... and then it needs a SIM for 3G data separate from your phone.

Of course you can share the data connection via WiFi from most phones to a tablet. But £250 seems more than you need pay for a 10" tablet. An Android tablet is about £229 or less for a wifi 10" variety with a new warranty.
 IPad vs laptop - Zero
I get the smart phone, I don't get the pad.

The pad is too big, if I need big I can use my macbook air.

Shall I tell what really gets on my tits? Its someone holding up a full size ipad to take pictures, normally over their head, almost always blocking everyone else's view. A pad is the very worse kind of device to take pictures on.

IPad vs laptop - TeeCee
>> Shall I tell what really gets on my tits? Its someone holding up a full
>> size ipad to take pictures, normally over their head, almost always blocking everyone else's view.
>> A pad is the very worse kind of device to take pictures on.
>>

One of the best tablet reviews I ever read had the following in it: "It also has a rear-facing camera. Now I have no idea why manufacturers persist in fitting these, as you will look like a complete bellend holding up a tablet to take a picture, but I suppose the market expects it. Suffice to say that it is there and that it is, as usual, cr*p."
 IPad vs laptop - No FM2R
>>holding up a full size ipad to take pictures

Its easier to hit with half chewed sweets than a phone.
 IPad vs laptop - Stuartli
>> Shall I tell what really gets on my tits? Its someone holding up a full size ipad to take pictures, normally over their head, almost always blocking everyone else's view.

A pad is the very worse kind of device to take pictures on. >>

Agree with every word...:-)
Price now down to £200.
Not in the slightest interested in it myself, but it might suit my old mum, purely for surfing. Hr old steam powered laptop, for which I paid £100 a few years ago, takes an age to load pages, and she really struggles with it...especially increasing the font size.
Her niece, who has an Ipad (not sure which model) has kindly offered to visit my Mum and go through the basics. If she finds it easier to use I may buy it for her...she doesn't email, and types her 'memoirs' on the steam powered laptop which doesn't seem to have a very long battery life, circa 40 mins, which doesn't auger well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Sep 13 at 01:35
Why cannot I put in 'ezis tnof' as it turns it to asterisks. Just wundering!
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
How old is the iPad 2? Still better deals to be had for brand new Android tablets. I'm not talking the dirt cheap unknown brand types which are very cheap.

But for surfing etc. I don't think anything smaller than around 9" for a tablet works. Preferably 10". Aspect ratio for iPads and most (decent) Android tablets differ.
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
It's in the swear filter to stop us using embedded HTML to change the appearance of posts. So changes size of font is not allowed. But you could do bold typewriter and get away with it. Likewise lists are okay:

• Item 1

• Item 2

IPad vs laptop - TeeCee
Bit of a cheesy way of doing that and causes this sort of issue as a side effect.

The correct way is to validate the HTML when the post or preview button is thumped and dump the poster back into edit with an error if it doesn't pass muster, all the while remembering that not everything between angle brackets is necessarily an HTML tag....
 IPad vs laptop - R.P.
Hangover from the puritan days of HJ. He was dropped on his sans serif when he was a baby.
 IPad vs laptop - VxFan
>> Why cannot I put in 'ezis tnof' as it turns it to asterisks. Just wundering!

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=5484&m=122694
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
So it seems what was not trusted on Honestjohn.co.uk using the same software is not trusted here. i.e. us.

Says a lot really. Not that the site generates much income but it generates some from the adverts.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 23:18
 IPad vs laptop - R.P.
Totally different environment to the "old" days Rob, and well you know it. Only very rare moderation here and the swear filter is largely redundant.
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
I know so why can't we occasionally change size or style of font? Or indeed embed images (which come from another site via the HTML Code so not a bandwidth problem)..... Some maybe unwilling to accept change??? Without there being any reason not to?

How long this forum lasts will be dependent on how Stephen is surviving in a very competitive market. AWS is very cheap (along with storage etc).....

But this has more to do with Dave not letting us use some HTML that won't impact a site that's not even his. He has no reason apart from doing the same as he did on honestjohn?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 23:27
 IPad vs laptop - No FM2R
>>But this has more to do with Dave not letting us use some HTML that won't impact a site that's not even his.

Oh I am more than happy to stamp on Dave's toes, but I think that's a little unfair.

It previously used to cause software and display issues, it may well still do so. It was never something Dave just invented.

And he spends time [as do the other Mods] looking after a site to help make it available for others even though its "not even his".
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Jul 13 at 00:08
 IPad vs laptop - VxFan
­­­­^^

Wot he said.

Also, whilst the majority of members know how to behave, it only takes one person to take things too far and then someone else follows suit and tries and go one better. And yes, that has happened here in the past as well as on HJ.

I'd love to trust you guys with all the HTML commands, really I would, but from past experience giving you too many toys to play with only causes me (and the other mods) extra work.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Jul 13 at 01:12
 IPad vs laptop - Zero
>
>> from past experience giving you too many toys to play with only causes me (and
>> the other mods) extra work.

Its all me me me
 IPad vs laptop - Mapmaker
rtj>>"says a lot really"

You don't hate it here so much that you don't visit.

IMO the presentation of this forum is the thing that keeps me coming back: the image-free and flashing-light-free experience with no ridiculous space-wasting signatures and margins; no avatars, no rubbish.
 IPad vs laptop - Gromit
Personally I think an 8" tablet (or Kindle?) is an ideal size for the things they're designed to do well: read web pages, e-books, PDFs; check email (but not to write long answers!), Skype etc. iThings are not reliable as sole Internet access devices though; some web pages with Flash or scripting don't like them (online banking is a problem for me, except for the limited functionality of mobile banking apps)

For a non-tech savvy user, the iPad is certainly easier to set up and use because there's only one way to do things - Apple's way. And if the OPs mum has access to a laptop, she may find an iPad handy.
 IPad vs laptop - VxFan
>> some web pages with Flash don't like them

But there are app browsers that support flash. eg, Puffin.
 IPad vs laptop - Zero
Puffin is a little slower than native browsers (due to the extra layer of servers it has to go through) but it certainly handles flash like a native.
 IPad vs laptop - Mapmaker
Why would anybody want to use a pad of any form at all for anything?

It's bad enough looking at a laptop without a docking screen; peering down even lower, whilst having to have your fingers making greasy marks on the screen you have to look at.

I get a smartphone; I've got an iPhone because Zero and NoFM2R told me to get one, and it seems to work pretty well - and TBH it's no more expensive than a non-Apple.

But a pad?!
 IPad vs laptop - CGNorwich
"It's bad enough looking at a laptop without a docking screen; peering down even lower, whilst having to have your fingers making greasy marks on the screen you have to look at."

Surely when you read a book you look down at it? When you want to examine a picture or a map you put it on a table or such to examine it? What is unnatural is to have a vertical screen 15inches from your face. That is why many people suffer from neck pain when forced to stare a a screen all day.

As for greasy finger marks, yes the screen will get these but you can't actually see them when the machine is switched on and in use and a quick wipe will soon clan the screen. A touch screen is easily the most natural way to navigate the internet.

For speed, and simplicity of use and within its limits an ipad beats a lap top hands down. If you want to write pages of text or use Excel or are into serious photo or video editing an ipad is the wrong choice. If however you want a machine to sit on the coffee table which which you can access the web nearly instantly, make a video call, access your music and watch videos and which is perfect for travel then get an ipad.

We have in the house I have an Apple desk which I use mainly for photo editing, an ipad and a lap top. The lap top no longer really gets used. The ipad fulfills 90% of our computing needs.

IPad vs laptop - Zero
>
>> For speed, and simplicity of use and within its limits an ipad beats a lap
>> top hands down.

Not really, my macbook air with the multigesture touchpad is the better solution. The screen is at the correct angle without having to hold it, you can utilise all the same and finger gestures employed on a iPad without getting fingermarks on the screen. And you have a proper keyboard for entering text on sites like this. It is however a solution that costs nearly twice as much.
Apart from the cost of an Air the other disadvantages are the speed to fire up the thing, the lack of Apps and the battery life. It's horses for courses really. The stripped down functionality of the ipad is what makes it a brilliant piece of mimimalist design but of course it has its limits.
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
If the Macbook Air (or any laptop or desktop) is suspended, it will start up instantly. My iMac is ready for use in this way too. So that comparison is not valid is it.

If you shutdown a tablet (as in power it down and not suspend it) then it will take a fair few seconds to boot up. I bet a Macbook Air with an SSD is as fast. My 'PC' when running as a Mac boots to desktop in around 15 seconds. Maybe not as fast an iPad or Android tablet but still pretty fast.

Battery life on a Macbook Air will also be pretty good - in fact any laptop with (1) not too large a displa, (2) using an SSD instead of hard disk and (3) a low power Intel CPU will be good on battery life.

Also plugging in a Magsafe power cord to the MB Air is quite convenient and does not get in the way of use.... can't say the same as a power/USB cable to a tablet. And if you forget the Magsafe power is plugged in and walk away with the laptop it just disconnects.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 15:27
OK - I guess I'm left with the fact that an Air cost twice as much, doesn't run Apps and the ipad does what I want in a simple and elegant manner.

IPad vs laptop - Zero

Perhaps you meant to say

"The IPad cant run applications, merely cut down limited in scope "apps" "
 IPad vs laptop - rtj70
What do you mean by an App - an application? What do you think computers have run since they were invented? Of course there's applications for a Mac (or a Windows or Linux PC for that matter). There's even an App Store on the Mac. Even has Angry Birds.

If you mean a Mac laptop or desktop does not run the iOS applications on the iTunes store - then you're right. But neither does an Android phone/tablet or Windows RT/8 tablet or 8 Phone.

Some good apps on a Mac like iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, Adobe's Creative Suite of apps, Microsoft Office,.... many. And the iPhoto/iMovie apps are the full blown versions and not the cut down versions on an iPad.

You're left with an Apple laptop costs more than an Apple tablet. But that was a given wasn't it. More powerful, more storage, more memory, keyboard, I/O ports.

Stop comparing Apples and oranges :-)
Latest Forum Posts