Computer Related > Raspberry PI - how easy? Computing Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 3

Raspberry PI - how easy? - movilogo
Thinking of getting one but 2 things are holding me up.

1. The hassle of downloading and installing OS manually (but it looks easy)
2. Read on forums that wifi setup is messy/difficult/impossible. If this can't be done, then whole idea seems less attractive.

Anyone has experience?

Raspberry PI - how easy? - Crankcase
Yes.

Done OS both ways. Downloading and installing OS is pretty trivial. Takes about ten minutes and not hard at all if you follow online tutorial. I've also bought an SD card that has the OS prebuilt, and that was about a fiver, if you prefer.

Wifi - was dead easy for me. Stuck in a USB wifi card. Checked to see who the maker was. Downloaded driver, and it just worked. If you don't already have a wifi usb card, just make sure you get one that's supported.

Colleague stuck his wifi usb in and it just worked, nothing needed.

I use the ipad to talk to the Pi, so no monitor needed on it.

Got mine to work with a USB microphone, and hooked it into the Google apis, so it can now understand what I say, translate it into text, take an action depending on the text, and read back to me a response accordingly, so I can tell it to turn things on and off and it does it nicely, telling me that it has, or not depending on faults. All good fun and about an hour's fiddling.

Raspberry PI - how easy? - movilogo
So it does not have WiFi capability built in?
 Raspberry PI - how easy? - Crankcase
No. What do you want for a handful of quid? A wifi USB that works can be got for under a fiver, and not everyone would want it, so you get a barebones unit to which you add what you fancy is the idea.

Latest Forum Posts