Computer Related > Pacman 30... check out Google... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 21

Pacman 30... check out Google... - rtj70
Pacman according to the Google homepage is 30 today. So the Google logo is in the style of Pacman. Except if you click on it, it's a playable game of Pacman ;-) The first playable Google Doodle.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 21 May 10 at 16:23
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - Iffy
Doesn't work if you have a customised iGoogle homepage.

You need to go to the classic homepage, where the 'I'm feeling lucky' button has been replaced by 'insert coin', although the game starts automatically after a second or two.

www.google.co.uk/

I was never a big fan of Pacman, so I'm looking forward to the birthday of Space Invaders.

Pacman 30... check out Google... - Zero
you missed it, it was 30 in 2008.
...you missed it, it was 30 in 2008....

Damn, but some of us are still young enough to be around in 2018.

It'll be worth the wait, I know it will.

some of us were old enough to remember playing the first of them all, pong, in pubs in 1973
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 May 10 at 18:22
>> ...you missed it, it was 30 in 2008....
>>
>> Damn, but some of us are still young enough to be around in 2018.
>>
>> It'll be worth the wait, I know it will.

www.spaceinvaders.de/
...www.spaceinvaders.de/...

Thanks for that - a link to the proper classic game.

I remember pong/tennis.

It was the first video games console I owned.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - RattleandSmoke
This is the best ever Pacman, I sometimes get my C64 out just to play it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Mania
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - smokie
My Mrs called me up as her laptop was making a strange noise. She thought she had a virus. I recognised the Pacman theme and we eventually found that Google is one of her home pages...
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 21 May 10 at 20:24
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - RattleandSmoke
Hehe I am waiting for the calls "my computer is making a funny noise" :). Although if I did get the call I would get them to check google first :)
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - VxFan
It is me, or does Space Invaders seem faster on the PC than it did in its humongous box?

I was never any good on the Space Invaders machine where you had two buttons to control the left / right movement. I always got better scores with the joystick control for left / right.

Also, I preferred Defender in my arcade days. They brought out a version for the BBC B computer and I was forever pestering one of my friends to let me have a go on his BBC B.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - The Nut
>> Also, I preferred Defender in my arcade days.

Is this the one? tinyurl.com/ybd7qxn

Lots of old arcade and computer games on that site, oh well there goes the rest of the evening!
I was a galaxian fan, table top variety.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - Focusless
Lunar Jetman - Spectrum. Classic.

Had a go at that Defender in the link the other day - much too fast! Lunar Lander was just about manageable and surprisingly enjoyable. Meant to find a version of that wireframe 3D tank game...
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - smokie
Yep, Galaxians for me too, and Galaga, which they have on that site, ad I still can't play!
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - VxFan
>> Is this the one?

That's not the one I remember.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone remember spending hours typing in programmes on their Spectrum that were printed in the magazines? You ended up with a pathetic spaceship made up of a row of graphic Z's jerking it's way across the top of the screen while you fired asterisks at it from a blob of random symbols.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - Dave_
>> spending hours typing in programmes on their Spectrum that were printed in the magazines

Oh heavens, yes. All in hexadecimal code too. I can remember copying a couple of pages of it out by hand and posting it to a friend, because a cassette would have cost too much to buy.
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - Focusless
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10153286.stm

"The Pac-Man game Google put on its home page gobbled up almost five million hours of work time, suggests a study."
 Pacman 30... check out Google... - R.P.
www.neave.com/games/spaceinvaders/

There you are Iffy.
...there you are iffy...

PU,

Thanks very much, although Zero posted a link to a similar version of the game further up the thread.

www.spaceinvaders.de/

Pacman 30... check out Google... - rtj70
People should check out MAME, the arcade emulator. You could probably run this on most smartphones* as well as the obvious PC/Mac/Linux versions.

* iPhones do not allow the use of emulators because Apple says you can't have emulators.
Latest Forum Posts