Computer Related > Uninstall McAfee Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 9

Uninstall McAfee - Mapmaker
How do I uninstall McAfee on my new netbook please? (I have Avast instead.)

Uninstall McAfee - CGNorwich
Assuming you have Windows

Start/My Computer/Add or Remove Programs
 Uninstall McAfee - Zero
I would suggest you use Microsoft Security Essentials. It uses less resources than Avast.
 Uninstall McAfee - Mapmaker
Clever! Thanks.

It is prompting me to remove "firewall" too - will Avast have come with a firewall?

Zero - yes, I now see that Avast is even bigger (but cheaper (these days I think you too are almost as stingy with your money as I am)) than McAfee.
 Uninstall McAfee - Zero
Mappy, MSE is *free*
 Uninstall McAfee - John H
>> How do I uninstall McAfee on my new netbook please? (I have Avast instead.)
>>
>>
To remove all traces use McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
Avast and Zero's favourite will do fine, but the MS one has a smaller footprint.
re. firewall, Windows built in firewall should be good enough unless you surf in dark places.
Look up Matousec for recommendations, although their best test performers may be too heavy for your netbook..
Last edited by: John H on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:40
 Uninstall McAfee - RattleandSmoke
Yep use McCaffe's removal tool on their website, it does a much better job and is quicker too.

I would use MSE and nothing else for a netbook unless you like waiting twenty minutes for it to bootup.
 Uninstall McAfee - John H
>> Yep use McCaffe's removal tool on their website, it does a much better job and
>> is quicker too.
>>

How can it be quicker when thier instructions say "This option should only be used after you remove your McAfee product through Add/Remove Programs." ?
 Uninstall McAfee - RattleandSmoke
I've used it plenty of times and it works fine without add and remove when add and remove dosn't work. The older versions ask you to shut down McAfee services before uninstalling it but the most time no matter how often you try and disable the services it won't let you.
 Uninstall McAfee - Ambo
I found the only way to get rid of all traces and prevent reminder messages was to use McAfee's "live email service", as I call it. (I can't recall now how to log on to it). You are actually dealing with a live respondent but he is fielding a number of calls at the same time so you have to wait a bit between query and response. He will take you through the procedure and you can question him if you get stuck. I did this two years ago and have never heard from McAfee since.
Latest Forum Posts