Computer Related > Spam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 14

Spam - Duncan
My spam box has recently gone into overload. For example, I turned the machine on a few minutes ago and there were 26 in the spam box since yesterday evening.

Any ideas why this might be? My spam filter is very good, but I feel the need to scroll through them in case a genuine email is in there.

The only thing different recently is that I have installed and am using Mozilla Firefox.
 Spam - VxFan
What email domain?

Hotmail, Yahoo, An Other?
 Spam - Dog
I don't get any spam whatsoever not never ever zilch zero nada nothing.
I also recently downloaded firefox as well.
 Spam - Duncan
Yahoo
 Spam - Roger.
Gmail, using their pop & smtp servers via Thunderbird - no spam!
 Spam - John H
>> Gmail, using their pop & smtp servers via Thunderbird - no spam!
>>

No spam for me on my ISP or various other freebie webmail accounts, except for the dedicated HJ forum one which got compromised by the hacker at that site.
 Spam - L'escargot
Doesn't the amount of spam you receive depend on how careful you are about who you let know your email address?
 Spam - Pat
I used to believe that L'es, but my email address has been freely available on web sites and printed material for other organisations and I don't seem to get any more than anyone else.
I use OE for mail and have no special message rules set up, but most seems to go into my Junk Mail folder.

Pat
 Spam - Roger.
I'm happy to post my Gmail address on any public forum - I know from experience going back at least 4 years, that I will get virtually no spam downloaded to Thunderbird. Hereit is!
landsker@gmail.com
The spam folder on my Gmail web mail, however has many, many, many messages in it if I bother to look.
Last edited by: landsker on Sun 16 May 10 at 09:09
 Spam - Zero
>> Doesn't the amount of spam you receive depend on how careful you are about who
>> you let know your email address?

Not always, systems generate email names to send to, on the offchance they exist. The email providers domain names are well known, so the personal names just need to be made up.

ie - the system will generate:

Miserable_old_git@hotmail.com
Miserable_old_git@googlemail.com

etc etc.

They can even scroll electorial rolls and telephone directories for real names and add the domain names to them.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 May 10 at 10:26
 Spam - Iffy
...ie - the system will generate:

Miserable_old_git@hotmail.com
Miserable_old_git@googlemail.com....

Crikey Zero, you must be inundated. :)
 Spam - Zero
Well one gets so lonely being retired at home, is so nice to have all these freinds asking about my sexual well being and interested in the size and performance of my todger.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 May 10 at 10:44
 Spam - Iffy
I get very little spam compared to some people on here.

My surname is not common - don't think there are many in the phone book.
 Spam - Zero
probably the first name

Belzibub is not common.
 Spam - Iffy
...Belzibub is not common...

Nor is that spelling. :)

But you have reminded me, I must update spawnofthedevil.com sometime.
Latest Forum Posts