Computer Related > Microsoft Office passcode Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 12

Microsoft Office passcode - sooty123
I've lost my passcode for the above on my laptop, it gave me 25 'free' goes without entering the code but no they are used up and I'm locked out. Does anyone know any free similar software you can download to carry on doing basic excel and word type stuff?

Being the smart chap I am I've also lost it for my netbook, but not got locked out yet.

Can anyone help?
 Microsoft Office passcode - No FM2R
www.libreoffice.org/download/

www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

I have used both, prefer the first.

But what passcode is it that you've lost? Do you mean the long Product Code from the orignal box?

If you do, and you've ever entered it on a computer, then it can be recovered from that computer
 Microsoft Office passcode - L'escargot
What about free programmes such as these?
www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/spreadsheets-free.html
www.download-office.com/free-word-uk/

I Googled for "free spreadsheet" and "free word processor".
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 14:13
 Microsoft Office passcode - movilogo
Depending on what version of Office is that, you can find valid keys floating around internet.

It won't be illegal as you already had a valid paid for key :-)

Mind that, none of the alternatives are 100% compatible with Office documents especially if you use advanced formatting or formulas.

If by passcode you mean the product code, you can use some free applications to recover that number from registry.
Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 14:19
 Microsoft Office passcode - Victorbox
>> If by passcode you mean the product code, you can use some free applications to
>> recover that number from registry.

Such as www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder but this assumes that you've installed it correctly in the past on your PC and have simply mislaid the piece of paper with the Certificate of Authenticity on it. The fact you've used up 25 goes at Office implies you've never inserted the correct COA with this current installation of Office.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Tue 23 Oct 12 at 16:28
 Microsoft Office passcode - Dr Prunesqualler
Try something called Belarc Advisor. This utility seems to do a comprehensive audit of your computer and reports all sorts of weird and wonderful things, including the software license keys for the microsoft products installed on your system

www.belarc.com/free_download.html
yep i never entered it in the first place. I'll try one of the downloadable ones thanks all.
 Microsoft Office passcode - No FM2R
Do you have the installation disks?

Be very wary of the online codes. Most of them are known to M/Soft and get blocked. So if you use one, then you must switch off "system update for other Microsoft Products".

If you do have the disks, then ring the M/S helpline, they're much more helpful than you probably expect them to be.

If ont he other hand its a dodgy copy, then be careful and don't depend on it working for ever.
 Microsoft Office passcode - Fullchat
Someone built me my last computer which came with Office 2003 pre-installed. Microsoft spotted it. Cost me £92 for a product key :(
 Microsoft Office passcode - FocalPoint
My laptop had a trial version of Microsoft Office installed and I ditched it for OpenOffice when it asked me for money.

I have kept it on my desktop, as I have a fondness for Publisher, which I use occasionally (e.g. to make an A4 calendar).
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Fri 26 Oct 12 at 12:28
 Microsoft Office passcode - smokie
FC - I'm actually clean on software licensing for a change - all paid up - but I've never heard of M$ coming after someone - briefly, what happened?
 Microsoft Office passcode - Fullchat
Sorry it wasn't Office it was the Operating System Windows XP Professional.

Think it was after an update. Message came up stating something along the lines of I had an unvalidated copy of Windows XP:

How does Windows Genuine Advantage validation work?
The WGA process is quick and easy. It collects no information that can be used by Microsoft to identify or contact the user. The validation process includes the following steps:

Upon your first visit to the Microsoft Download Center, Windows Update, or Microsoft Update sites, you receive a message requiring you to validate your copy of Windows.
You are prompted to download an ActiveX control which checks the authenticity of your Windows software. If the Windows validation is successful, the control stores a special license file on your computer for future verification.
The validation process electronically checks for several known counterfeiting methods. Generally, you do not have to enter any information during this step.
After successful validation, you may continue your download.
WGA Notifications is an anti-piracy tool that performs the WGA validation check and notifies you if you are not running genuine Windows.

Note The Automatic Updates feature is not affected by the WGA validation check. Therefore, you can use the Automatic Updates feature to make sure that you receive critical Windows updates.

support.microsoft.com/kb/892130
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 27 Oct 12 at 18:50
A quick update, I downloaded the libreoffice software. Works very well, thanks for the link No FM2R.
Latest Forum Posts