Computer Related > I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 17

I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - VxFan
Looking at BT's website, I have the wrong phone socket - tinyurl.com/28k9jly

Apparently I need this type of socket - tinyurl.com/268e3ye (which can be bought off ebay and the like)

If I replaced the socket for the correct one, would the Broadband Accelerator then work, or is it more complicated than that?

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 May 10 at 23:05
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - bathtub tom
Are you sure?

tinyurl.com/268e3ye is a main socket with an arrangement that lets you remove the lower part of the front plate, disconnecting any extensions, leaving only the outside line connected. Useful for fault finding. It also contains a couple of components (damned if I can remember what).

tinyurl.com/28k9jly may well contain the same components, but just not have the disconnection facility.

Isn't modern life simple?
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - Zero
>> Looking at BT's website I have the wrong phone socket - tinyurl.com/28k9jly

If thats the one you have, its an oldun. Is it a master socket? (ie does it have a capacitor in it)

>> Apparently I need this type of socket - tinyurl.com/268e3ye (which can be bought off ebay
>> and the like)

Yes you need that before you can fit an accelorator.

>>
>> If I replaced the socket for the correct one would the Broadband Accelerator then work
>> or is it more complicated than that?
>>

No its not more complicated than that. Except., do you have wired extensions?

>>
>>
>> No its not more complicated than that.

I thought it might be.

>> Except. do you have wired extensions?

Not as such. There is an old GPO junction box on the wall in the hallway, ( www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/BT30.jpg ), and two sockets feed off from there. One socket in the hallway approx 3 metres from the GPO junction box for the phone and Sky connection, and the other socket in my bedroom which my router plugs into, which is approx 7 metres from the GPO junction box.

IIRC, both sockets have a capacitor on the back of them. I'm guessing they'll both be master sockets because they are both wired to the GPO junction box instead of the bedroom socket being spurred off the hallway socket.

As I live a long way from the phone exchange, I was hoping I could increase my 1½ - 2 meg connection a little bit.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 May 10 at 01:31
>>
>> IIRC, both sockets have a capacitor on the back of them. I'm guessing they'll both
>> be master sockets because they are both wired to the GPO junction box instead of
>> the bedroom socket being spurred off the hallway socket.

you really need to dump one of those. you should only have one master.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 7 May 10 at 10:11
>> you really need to dump one of those. you should only have one master.

I'll have to take the covers off the sockets and have a look. Will having a capacitor on each socket cause a problem then?

I'll have to take a look at the link to www.jarviser.co.uk when I get home. Work nanny filter prevents me looking.
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - John H
>>
>> I'll have to take a look at the link to www.jarviser.co.uk when I get home.
>> Work nanny filter prevents me looking.
>>
Jarviser article is headed
Improving your BT Line based Broadband Speed and reliability - Isolate the Bellwire!

Search google for other links on removing bell wire to speed up broadband. eg.
broadband-speedup.blogspot.com/2009/03/speeding-up-your-broadband.htm
it appears much of what this device does is simply restricts the so called bell wire. The bell wire is no longer needed on modern extensions -
Last edited by: John H on Fri 7 May 10 at 10:57
I wouldnt say its causing a problem, but its not helping matters any
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - L'escargot
>> If I replaced the socket for the correct one would the Broadband Accelerator then work ................ ?

This says that it would. tinyurl.com/38qhlw5
>>
>> If I replaced the socket for the correct one, would the Broadband Accelerator then work,
>> or is it more complicated than that?
>>

Borrow Pugugly's scissors out and snip the bellwire.
www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html
Last edited by: John H on Fri 7 May 10 at 09:23
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - L'escargot
Solwise are very good at giving advice. www.solwise.co.uk/
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - Tooslow
Follow John H (and others) advice and snip the bell wire. It acts as an aerial and picks up interference. The iPlate effectively snips the bell wire by just not connecting it through. Snipping the bell wire does make a difference.

JH
I've had a look at the wiring to the 2 phone sockets and both of them only have wires connected to terminals 2 & 5. So it doesn't look like the bell wire is connected.

Both sockets (LJ2) also have a capacitor inside. Should I snip the leg of one of the capacitors, or more precisely the socket that I fitted in the bedroom rather than the one that BT fitted several years ago, as I read on one of the many links that only a BT engineer is legally allowed to tamper with the master socket?
either one.

as for "legaly" its not an offence to tamper with your master socket!

>> Both sockets (LJ2) also have a capacitor inside. Should I snip the leg of one
>> of the capacitors, or more precisely the socket that I fitted in the bedroom rather
>> than the one that BT fitted several years ago, as I read on one of
>> the many links that only a BT engineer is legally allowed to tamper with the
>> master socket?
>>

extracts from www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/btiplate.html
Well officially that means you can't go there because it's not legal to take off the front of an old type(LJU) master socket. However that doesn't mean you cannot physically do it. It's entirely up to your conscience whether you take off the front and snip off the wires from the terminals 3 and 4 leaving all the wires on 2 and 5 untouched.
ADSL Killers
It's no good doing this fix if you are then going to connect a long flexible phone extension lead into the front of the socket! More bellwires in there! If you really must use these nasty extensions instead of a proper fixed round section extension fixture, use a sharp compass point or small screwdriver to pull out the two middle pins of the extension lead's BT plug that is plugged into the master socket. That will disconnect the bellwire.
BT's fix
If you are able to get one of the new inductive faceplates fitted, that will work quite well instead of disconnecting the bellwire. This new type (shown on the left) will have "Outreach" moulded on the top half, and will have an extra "bulge" behind the removable part where the new inductor sits. At the time of writing (Mar 2008) they are only available as a BT replacement by an engineer (£150+ if requested unless the engineer is already there on another call).
In my own tests they are about 80 - 90 percent effective, but not as effective as yanking out the bellwire (100 percent by definition!).
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - Stuartli
Lots of very helpful advice on this well known website:

www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
 I-Plate/Broadband Accelerator - Stuartli
...and another:

www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
Thanks for those.
Latest Forum Posts